How does person with mobility impairment get on continuous loading rides?

vhoffman

DIS Veteran
I have arthritis and walk with a cane. I don't use a wheelchair. I understand that there's a seperate entrance for wheelchair-users, however, that doesn't apply to my situation.

I walk slow and am somewhat unsteady on my feet. The continuous loading rides frighten me. I'm just concerned that I can't coordinate standing on the moving floor then getting into the moving ride. I know the ride is supposed to move at the same pace as the floor, but for a person with balance problems this presents a problem.

I've been to Disney 3 times before. Usually I just don't go on the rides. I let dh take the kids and I sit out. I've only gone one two rides-Spaceship earth and the Great Movie adventure at MGM. Both times it was a slow day and they stopped the ride for me to get on. However, I was also concerned about getting off. There again, they would have to stop the ride for me to get off. We were just "lucky" the two times I rode that it was a slow day and they recognized my cart and stopped it for me.

Usually the accomodations for disabled people assume you're in a wheelchair. There's usually some sort of seperate entrance for wheelchair users, but the ride has the seat taken out to accomodate the wheelchair.

This trip I would like to try some of the rides. Surely there must be others in my situation. How do you handle it? Oh, please, don't tell me to "just explain the situation. I'm sure they'll be glad to help". I tried that once and got nowhere--I was directed to a line for wheelchair users, then told I couldn't wait in that line because it was for wheelchair users only!

This can be a problem - although i use a wheelchair I can (and do) get out to board rides but although for some they do stop the walkway for others they insist you have to board with it moving. I usually board with Dh or older DS and they take my arm and assist me in and then leap in themselves as they have no trouble hurrying if it is near the end.

Sue

Yes, I've tried going with dh to assist, however, we have two kids we prefer to take with us. sometimes they are a little hesitant to get in and we need to get in first to get them in. By that time its near the end of the boarding walk and I'm still standing there, frightened I'll slam into the wall! Also, my knees don't bend very well so I need a few extra seconds to slide in. All could be solved if they would just stop the boarding walkway for a few seconds, which they have a few times, however I've had some bad experiences where they refuse. Then what a problem! I can't get on the ride and need dh's assistance to exit, so the kids don't get to ride. That's why I've simply given up going on the rides. I use the time to window shop, whatever. I can't help but feel left out, however. Also, how do you get off? How do you let them know to slow or stop the ride for you?

The moving walkway rides can be slowed or stopped (except for Peter Pan, which can be slowed somewhat, but only stopped in an emergency).
In order to have those rides slowed or stopped for you, you need to board at the exit (where wheelchair users board). They will refuse to stop it if you are boarding at the regular entrance because the CMs at that area can't stop it.

There is a link to an older thread about how to handle this on the disABILITIES FAQs thread, but I'm going to post a direct link to the past thread about boarding rides when you need a bit extra time.
You might want to take a list with you, so you know which rides use moving walkways (Great Movie Ride isn't one of them, but Spaceship Earth is).

If you haven't already, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread - specifically the last post about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards).

Sue & Co. said:
although for some they do stop the walkway for others they insist you have to board with it moving.
They usually start out with just slowing it because most people don't actually need it stopped. If you do need it stopped, they will stop it - we just tell them that we can't board unless they stop and they have always stopped for us. (Except for Peter Pan which can't stop).

Ok, so you get on at the exit, correct? Then they will stop it for you? I'm not in a wheelchair, so I tried getting on through a line for disabled (not sure if it was an exit or just another line, several years ago), and I was quite rudely told that I couldn't use that line, it was for wheelchairs only. I didn't want to make an issue of it so just went away and let dh take the kids.

I had a GAC in the past, it said something like "most accessible entrance" or something like that. But it didn't seem to matter for my situation. Really, Dsiney ought to train their staff that handicap doesn't always mean "wheelchair". However, like I said, all this was several years ago, maybe I should give it another try.

SueM, thanks for the link. Well, like I said, maybe I should try it again, shouldn't let one bad experience spoil future trips. BTW, the one time I rode Spaceship Earth they did st for me.

However, my biggest concern is getting off. How do they know to stop the walkway for my cart? The two times I actually got to ride it was a very slow time and they just recognized me and stopped the walkway. However, how do they know to do so? SueM, sounds like you've had a lot of experience riding with a disabled family member. How do you get the walkway to stop so you can get off? Thanks!

Hi, again, SueM!

I think I'm getting this ironed out. Now another question--how do you manage the Small World boats? I waited in line with my family, but declined and just left (let family ride), when I saw the boats. They were too low for me to get into. The "step down" was too much for me to handle, plus the boat wasn't steady. Is there some way to manage this, or just put this one one my "ignore" list? Thanks,

vhoffman said:
Ok, so you get on at the exit, correct? Then they will stop it for you? I'm not in a wheelchair, so I tried getting on through a line for disabled (not sure if it was an exit or just another line, several years ago), and I was quite rudely told that I couldn't use that line, it was for wheelchairs only. I didn't want to make an issue of it so just went away and let dh take the kids.

I had a GAC in the past, it said something like "most accessible entrance" or something like that. But it didn't seem to matter for my situation. Really, Dsiney ought to train their staff that handicap doesn't always mean "wheelchair". However, like I said, all this was several years ago, maybe I should give it another try.

SueM, thanks for the link. Well, like I said, maybe I should try it again, shouldn't let one bad experience spoil future trips. BTW, the one time I rode Spaceship Earth they did st for me.

However, my biggest concern is getting off. How do they know to stop the walkway for my cart? The two times I actually got to ride it was a very slow time and they just recognized me and stopped the walkway. However, how do they know to do so? SueM, sounds like you've had a lot of experience riding with a disabled family member. How do you get the walkway to stop so you can get off? Thanks!
They first thing that's important is to know which rides have a moving walkway. It's been a long time since I read that thread that I bumped up, but I'm almost certain it has a list. There are also some attractions with stairs in the main queue that might be a problem. I can be helpful on the moving walkway ones, but since we travel with a DD who uses a wheelchair, I may not be as aware of which regular queues have stairs - you can ask the first CM you see if the attraction has stairs or a moving walkway.

If you have a wheelchair or ECV, they automatically route you to the accessible entrance. If you don't have a wheelchair/ECV, then you need a GAC. In many cases, people remember that the boarding for wheelchair/ecv users used to be at the exit, but in many cases, they have moved the point where wheelchair/ECV users get pulled off to the exit. A lot of times, it is now close to where the regular queue is almost to the boarding area. So, even wheelchair users, will often be told they can't enter at the exit if they try to get in there.
Anyone without a wheelchair who wants/needs to use the accessible entrance will need to have a GAC.

When you board at the exit, the CM there notes the number of the ride car you are on (most people don't see the numbers because they are in a place where they will be visible to the CMs, not to the riders). The CM knows how long the entire ride takes, which detemines how long it takes for your car to arrive back at the exit, so they can watch for your number. That way, they know which ride car to slow or stop for exit (depending on how much time you needed to get on in the first place). In case of an emergany evacuation, they also know which cars have people who will need assistance and, since most of the rides have a way of tracking where specific cars are, they can also tell where you are on the ride.

It usually works well. There was only one time I can remember where it didn't; we were on Buzz Lightyear and because it was not busy and there were no other wheelchair parties waiting to get on, the CM asked if we wanted to ride again. We did, but when we arrived at the exit the second time, the CM who had asked us had gone to another position and the CM who was now there didn't get us off in time - so we ended up taking another ride on Buzz.

I hope you do try again and have good experiences. most of the time, it works very well.

vhoffman said:
Hi, again, SueM!

I think I'm getting this ironed out. Now another question--how do you manage the Small World boats? I waited in line with my family, but declined and just left (let family ride), when I saw the boats. They were too low for me to get into. The "step down" was too much for me to handle, plus the boat wasn't steady. Is there some way to manage this, or just put this one one my "ignore" list? Thanks,
There is a wheelchair accessible boat that has a ramp. Many people who can't step down onto the regular boat, can walk down the ramp. Even though the boat looks a bit unsteady, it really doesn't move - it runs on a track, so it's not free floating. Let someone else in your party board first so they can give you a hand and the CM can offer a steadying hand (they can't transfer people, but can offer a hand if you need just a bit of steadiness.)
You would need to board at the exit with a GAC to use the accessible boat (there are not that many of them and if you board at the regular place, there is not room for your party to wait for the accessible boat to come around).
If you don't use the ramp boat, it is a pretty big step down to seat and then another step down to get your feet into the right place. The Mexico ride has the same type of boat. Those are the only 2 boats that you can board without a big step, so you may not be able to ride any of the other boat rides, but Mexico and Small world should work for you.
NOTE: The Jungle Cruise also has a wheelchair accessible boat, but we still haven't ridden on it, so I can't comment. I do know it doesn't have a ramp.

SueM,

Thanks for the info about the boats. One question--do the wheelchair accessible boats have seats, or do they assume you're using a wheelchair and have an empty space to bring the wheelchair on? That's my biggest problem--I'm disabled, but don't use a wheelchair. Every time I try to use something that's handicapped accessible they assume I have my own chair. Well, thanks again for the advice!

vhoffman said:
SueM,

Thanks for the info about the boats. One question--do the wheelchair accessible boats have seats, or do they assume you're using a wheelchair and have an empty space to bring the wheelchair on? That's my biggest problem--I'm disabled, but don't use a wheelchair. Every time I try to use something that's handicapped accessible they assume I have my own chair. Well, thanks again for the advice!
No, there is both. There is a space where someone who is using a wheelchair can park it; if you don't have a wheelchair, the space is just an aisle between the seats.
There are some wheelchair cars at WDW; for those attractions, people who are either not using a wheelchair or are getting out of their wheelchair just board the regular car.
Here's a picture of the wheelchair boat for Small World.
rv11.jpg

If you have a wheelchair, the gray lines on the floor are depressions that the wheels sort of sit in to keep from rolling. If you don't have a wheelchair, you would step on at the opening at the side (the part that shows up under the bridge. It's a flat step onto the boat there. Then you just walk down the ramp toward the front of the boat and sit in one of the seats.

Thanks so much, SueM!

I wasn't aware of this at Small World. The picture is great! I really don't want to stand in line forever just to find out that I can't use the ride then have to leave. Pictures allow someone like me to determine in advance if if will work for them or not. Too bad Disney doesn't put actual pictures in their handicapped guides; not everyone's situation is the same and it would be great to be able to determine in advance if you can go on a ride or not. Maybe this time I can go on some of the rides,too! I just gave up before because it was too confusing anf frustrating.

Be persistant when a CM says you have to use a moving walkway. Ask that it be stopped. You may need to wait for a cetain car to come so be willing. Most will not offer it to you. You will have to ask. Only one I know that cannot be slowed or stopped is Peter Pan which I don't ride. I've already shattered a leg once and will not let it happen again.

Boy, I hope you're not missing out on tons of things because of the moving walkway. It seems to me that few rides have them. The Great Movie Ride that you did take doesn't have one for instance.

The guides do tell how long each ride is and what manner of boarding is used.

I am able bodies and find the moving walkways a little topply at times so I can imagine how difficult it is for you. Our daughter has CP but my husband "walks" her on the rides with moving walkways. I haven't been able to do that with her for years now.

Anyway, glad you're getting so much good advice but check out the rides as Sue said. Most don't have moving walkways.

Sorry if someone already said this but in your situation I don't think you would need to use an alternate entrance at most rides. But you can always talk to a CM at the entrance for help. Even at Small World, it would probably be as easy for you to use the regular entrance and then just tell the CM at boarding that you need to wait for an accessible boat. It sounds as if some of your frustration came from using the exit as an entrance. If you think of using the entrance first and checking with a CM, I really think it will be less confusing for you.

Good luck and have fun!

SueMinMN said:
NOTE: The Jungle Cruise also has a wheelchair accessible boat, but we still haven't ridden on it, so I can't comment. I do know it doesn't have a ramp.
Ooh! Ooh! I know this one!! Okay, in all fairness, I don't know how it would work for a Guest not in a wheelchair, but I will surmise after this description :)
There is a boat on the Jungle Cruise with a platform for a Guest in a wheelchair/ecv. The CMs put down a ramp so you can board the boat; you drive, roll or are pushed over the ramp onto a platform in the middle of the boat. You then get three... three... three rides in one. First, a CM turns the platform 90º so you're facing the front of the boat - that replicates the Mad Hatter's Teacups. Next, the platform is lowered - there's the JC's version of Tower of Terror. And finally, you ride the Jungle Cruise itself. The CMs at Magic Kingdom know this patter; supposedly, the ones at DisneyLand hadn't heard it until I recited it for them :)
Surmising... Like the OP, I can't step up and down to the degree required to board and debark these boats; in addition, I've been using an ECV my last several visits. I don't know for sure, but most likely an ambulatory Guest could board the boat using the platform, then step off it onto the floor of the boat - then step back on at the end of the cruise and be lifted up to dock level. I do not know this for sure, as I've only been on the Jungle Cruise twice since they refitted some boats, and both times remained in the ECV.

Three, three, three rides in one...what a stitch! Thanks for the laugh!

I declined the Jungle Cruise as well. It was too deep for me to step down and in and also the boat was rocking and unsteady. The cm's almost insisted they would help me board--they would tie the boat to steady it, the would "help" me get in, they just didn't understand my degree of disability. I really don't look old and frail, many times people think its mostly "in my head" and all I need is a little "encouragement" a pat on the back, a nice, gentle arm to steady me, when actually I can't bend to get into boats, etc. and I practically need a crane to "help" me in and out of low boats, etc. No thanks, I'd rather sit it out than risk an accident!

I agree with the rest of the advice. Let a CM know that you need the ride stopped. Most rides that are continuous can either be stopped or slowed. I'm a former CM and I always gave guests the option of stopped or slowed, and then obeyed their wishes. I think it's horrible that CM's have refused to stop rides! It takes less than a minute and makes someone happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter