How does the DVC member reception work?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
Just read that there is a reception on the ships for DVC members early in the cruise. Is this something that we will receive invites to or do I need to sign up for it somehow or what exactly?

Can anyone give me more internal information on this and whether it's worth going to? I hear there is free alcohol, so that there that is always a start!

Thsnks in advance for the help!

I got a phone call a few days before our cruise reminding us about the event. We did not attend, but I stopped by the DVC desk the following day, and it sounds like they are trying to get you to buy more points. Not a hard sell, but want you to hear their spill. They gave us a couple of hats and I do believe there is alcohol provided.

Stop at the dvc desk in the port or onboard and they will give you the details. Not sure of the schedule these days, but they used to do the short cruises on debarkation day. Typically the longer cruises are the next day.

There will be a DVC desk inside the terminal when you arrive. They will be happy to give you the particulars and a lanyard.

Be aware that this is really a sales presentation. Yes, there will be some fun games and some freebies given out, but mostly its all about how wonderful DVC is and what you can do with your (more) points. They will also tell you about the latest incentives, which typically include an on-board credit if you add on at a certain level during the cruise.

It's the Dance Vacation Challenge! :) Yes, they try to sell you more points but in an entertaining way. Free alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks. The past few cruises, it's been on embarkation day at around 2:30 pm.

If you agree to meet with a DVC cast member after to discuss your membership to add on more points, they will give you free fastpasses for the next time you are in WDW. When we met, that meeting was all of about two minutes long when we told them we weren't interested in adding points and just wanted the fastpasses. ;)

Robert

They also have a drawing for $200 stateroom credit to be used during that cruise. Must be preset to win.

Any insight on how to get notified of this stuff? We have been DVC members since 2011 and never once have received phone calls or magnets. My sister who bought into it 2 years after us gets called and magnets and all sorts of stuff. Just a little bummed that she gets it and we don't. How do they go about it?

It's the Dance Vacation Challenge! :) Yes, they try to sell you more points but in an entertaining way. Free alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks. The past few cruises, it's been on embarkation day at around 2:30 pm.

If you agree to meet with a DVC cast member after to discuss your membership to add on more points, they will give you free fastpasses for the next time you are in WDW. When we met, that meeting was all of about two minutes long when we told them we weren't interested in adding points and just wanted the fastpasses. ;)

Robert
I was on the Wonder in November. Our DVC Member reception was between the first and second dinner seating on the first night. So, I wonder if they are testing out a new time to get more people to the event?

It's a fun event, but it really is a sell for more DVC points. I did win the $200 onboard credit on my cruise on the Wonder in November which was nice, because I am one person who never wins anything.

They also had a separate DVC Member event on the cruise that was more of a DVC member gathering that also had free drinks. The DVC cast members would just walk around to different groups that gathered to just talk. It was a great way to meet new people, and it was just very casual. I preferred this event to the hard sell event that they do since it is literally the same every cruise.

You can check with the DVC desk in port to see if your storeroom is on their list of DVC member staterooms. That will make certain you get the door magnet and anything delivered to the room. Any other benefits are dependent on attending events which are so listed in the personal navigators. At the first one for existing members they usually do the drinks, have some entertainment, a sales pitch and some givaways. If $10 of stuff will make or break your vacation that is what you do!

I won the $200 shipboard credit last February. I won, because the first person they called left early, so they drew the next name. I never got to thank the person who left early! I also won a huge dvc bag.

We've always had DVC Welcome Home Magnets on our stateroom door when we first got to our room. If you dont get one and want one, I would think that you could stop by the DVC desk and ask for one. In the past, there is usually a DVC Member reception the first day (check the navigator), and there is usually another one a few days later, on a sea day. We have always gotten an invitation/notification of that one on our door. We always stop by if we can, because they usually give out hats that my husband then likes to wear on the port days. (He has loads of hats at home, and still brings at least one, but likes to have the extra one to use for the ocean/sand/salt.

If you agree to meet with a DVC cast member after to discuss your membership to add on more points, they will give you free fastpasses for the next time you are in WDW.
Do you happen to know if the fast passes are only for Disney World in Florida, or could you get them for Disneyland in California?

Free drinks, free giveaways, it's worth a visit!

We are not DVC members. However, we will be taking a DVC member with us on our upcoming cruise. Will she be invited to the reception? If so, can we go with her since she is part of our party?

Free drinks, free giveaways, it's worth a visit!

Unless your budget says “no” to more direct points but you have a partner who might be easily swayed.

Any insight on how to get notified of this stuff? We have been DVC members since 2011 and never once have received phone calls or magnets. My sister who bought into it 2 years after us gets called and magnets and all sorts of stuff. Just a little bummed that she gets it and we don't. How do they go about it?

If you’re on the cruise it’s not kept secret. I’ve never gotten the calls but I see The Dvc desk at the port and I swear the reception is in the Navigator

We are not DVC members. However, we will be taking a DVC member with us on our upcoming cruise. Will she be invited to the reception? If so, can we go with her since she is part of our party?

We’ve never been asked for a membership card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!