How easy is it to rent out points?

Beachmom0317

DIS Veteran
So my husband and i have two little children and anticipate lots of future Disney trips (2 in the next 14 months for example), most likely every other year. We’re looking at renting 75 points from copper creek.

We will, however, be looking to travel to other destinations some years as my husband is a big fisherman and loves the Florida keys. On the years we take a break from Disney how easy is it to rent out our points? I understand using our points with RCI isn’t a great value so we’d look to rent and then pay cash for the Keys.

But to answer your question it is quick and easy to rent out your points if you use a service, we have found.

75 points go quick. Have you looked at a points chart to plot out how you would use them?
I have! So we have been going early December for a few nights, so copper creek is quoting 61 points for that time period, so I feel comfortable with 75 to start.

It will be very hard to get a CCV studio in early December. I think you may find yourself competing for a 1BR using points at another time.

I would not buy CCV for early December save for a guaranteed week, which is much more costly.

It will be very hard to get a CCV studio in early December. I think you may find yourself competing for a 1BR using points at another time.

I would not buy CCV for early December save for a guaranteed week, which is much more costly.

Is this the case if we are ready to book right at 11 months? Thanks for any tips!

Is this the case if we are ready to book right at 11 months? Thanks for any tips!

Yes. Absolutely. People wanting studios at BRV and VGF get frozen out at 7:59am of 12 months for the first two weeks of December. And neither resort sold 1 million points against cabins, increasing number of points and owners trying to book.

Getting a CCV studio in early December will be a matter of walking, starting in August, and extreme luck.

Yes. Absolutely. People wanting studios at BRV and VGF get frozen out at 7:59am of 12 months for the first two weeks of December. And neither resort sold 1 million points against cabins, increasing number of points and owners trying to book.

Getting a CCV studio in early December will be a matter of walking, starting in August, and extreme luck.
Thanks for your advice I am just a little confused how do they get frozen out at 12 months I thought you could only book 11 months out? Not sure what you mean by matter of walking in August. Thank you again for your help:)

Thanks for your advice I am just a little confused how do they get frozen out at 12 months I thought you could only book 11 months out? Not sure what you mean by matter of walking in August. Thank you again for your help:)

There are a maximum of 78 bookable studios at CCV. I estimate about 5 of them will be sold as guaranteed week contracts for each week, which means 70 for the general ownership. And that 70 number includes studios that are part of 2br lock offs, so they may not be booked as studios at all.

All of them won't be open on any given 11 month date, as people checking in earlier will have them blocked foe their own stays.

Because they will be hard to get, people will start booking them well in advance of the dates they want them, and modify them a few days at a time. This means that units will be blocked out before 11 months out, consistently. We see this with VGF, Standard at BWV and BLT, and for Club and Value at AKV.

There are plenty of threads on how walking works, perspectives on if it is fair or not, etc. Bottom line is with ~70 units, many people buying CCV because they love the holiday decorations, the.popularity of those weeks, and supply/demand, a bunch of people will be walking, and the new Modify feature makes walking a breeze.

A lot of people will be screaming about availability of studios at CCV in the coming years. Patterns at other resorts and room types, with the math of cabin point sales, guarantees it.

There are a maximum of 78 bookable studios at CCV. I estimate about 5 of them will be sold as guaranteed week contracts for each week, which means 70 for the general ownership. And that 70 number includes studios that are part of 2br lock offs, so they may not be booked as studios at all.

All of them won't be open on any given 11 month date, as people checking in earlier will have them blocked foe their own stays.

Because they will be hard to get, people will start booking them well in advance of the dates they want them, and modify them a few days at a time. This means that units will be blocked out before 11 months out, consistently. We see this with VGF, Standard at BWV and BLT, and for Club and Value at AKV.

There are plenty of threads on how walking works, perspectives on if it is fair or not, etc. Bottom line is with ~70 units, many people buying CCV because they love the holiday decorations, the.popularity of those weeks, and supply/demand, a bunch of people will be walking, and the new Modify feature makes walking a breeze.

A lot of people will be screaming about availability of studios at CCV in the coming years. Patterns at other resorts and room types, with the math of cabin point sales, guarantees it.
Okay so basically people are booking studios for longer periods of time than they actually need, and just cancelling those extra days - as a way to ensure they get a studio in the first place.

Do you know if this is true regarding studios for Christmas week? As our children get older I know it’ll be harder to pull them out of school on non-vacation weeks. Also what is the demand like for one bedrooms in early December and Christmas? I’m not opposed to buying 75 points and going every other year with 150 points. We live in New England and would only go one a year or every other year. Thank you very much!

Okay so basically people are booking studios for longer periods of time than they actually need, and just cancelling those extra days - as a way to ensure they get a studio in the first place.

Do you know if this is true regarding studios for Christmas week? As our children get older I know it’ll be harder to pull them out of school on non-vacation weeks. Also what is the demand like for one bedrooms in early December and Christmas? I’m not opposed to buying 75 points and going every other year with 150 points. We live in New England and would only go one a year or every other year. Thank you very much!

So, if you look at Pete's historic charts at https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-studios-1-bedrooms-june-2018-update.3689931/, you will see that at resorts where a studio has 11 month availability issues, 1BRs also tend to show high demand in that period as a side effect of people trading up for a shorter vacation. The effect is pretty clear at BWV and BLT in the Standard categories, BCV, and VGF in December.

Actually, they are doing something called "walking". I'll give you an example of how to get Christmas week. What you do is initially book a week in November. Then, every day, you change the start date to align with the 11 month window's maximum start date, always keeping your whole week by changing the end date to 7 days after the start date. Finally, your reservation end date will align with your desired end date. At that point, you can drop any extra days at the beginning of the reservation, if you don't want to stay a whole week. With the latest update to the website giving us a modify function, it's a lot easier to do it than it was before (calling member services every day).

I'm not a fan of walking. If it becomes an issue, DVC will find some way to prevent it (e.g., you can only modify a reservation 3 times).

If you want Copper Creek studio in early Dec, get a fixed week for about 35 more points.

It has great flexibility and will lock your studio every year....unless you don’t want that in a given year in which case you can opt out and use the points however you want.

Search fixed and guaranteed week here (same thing).

Or choose a different resort - not the Poly or CCV where the bungalows and cabins cause supply and demand issues with studios for popular times (anytime in the Fall). You will need to book right at eleven months, but most other resorts don't have the same issue (as long as you aren't booking value studios). If you don't mind being a bus ride away from the action, VAKL resale might be a better option for you. If you want to be right there, BLT is a good choice - again, resale.

A fixed week studio in the first two weeks of Dec at Copper Creek is 118 points, or, 43 points more than the 75 points that you were considering.

Ok. So that's $7826 more for the purchase: $21,476 vs. $13,650. But that price difference gives you a whole lot.

First. DVC changes you. You'll want to go to Disney more, not less. You asked about the possibility of renting out 75 points if you don't go enough. Oh, ye of little faith. In short order, you'll be asking how to transfer in, or otherwise beg, borrow and steal more points.

So, 118 points is still way too few points (we have 520 points and can't make them work without constantly being in borrow mode), but at least you'll be in the ballpark of having a USABLE contract, a contract with enough points to make some things work.

A fixed week for the 1st week of December in a studio means that your week is booked at 12 months, guaranteed, each year for 50 yrs during that first week. 118 is about 10% more points than if you booked it at 11 months (which is currently 107 points), but if it were available at 11 months, you could cancel the fixed week, and immediately rebook it for the 107 points and save the 11 points. It's only worth the 10% if you can't otherwise rebook, and I'm telling you right now that Copper Creek studios for 11 months in December are going to be walked resorts and you will not get them each and every year. The guarantee will be everything.

If DVC decides to reallocate points later, (they can't increase the total number of points per resort, but they can rebalance them across rooms and seasons), you're protected.

If you want to use your points differently, you can cancel the guarantee that year and use your whole 118 points any way you like.

It's a great deal.

I have a fixed week Jersey Week Poly Lake View. I've never used the guarantee; I've always cancelled and used the points differently. But. I bought it with the idea that the guarantee would come in handy in the out years, 20 years from now. If I wanted to stay Copper Creek Studios in first two weeks of December, a fixed week there will come in handy as soon as the resort sells out.

Last edited:
If you want Copper Creek studio in early Dec, get a fixed week for about 35 more points.

It has great flexibility and will lock your studio every year....unless you don’t want that in a given year in which case you can opt out and use the points however you want.

Search fixed and guaranteed week here (same thing).
Thanks for the tip! Early December will only be the for a few years, once our littles are in school it’ll be harder to yank them out and we’ll likely be going Christmas week or during their February vacation.

Actually, they are doing something called "walking". I'll give you an example of how to get Christmas week. What you do is initially book a week in November. Then, every day, you change the start date to align with the 11 month window's maximum start date, always keeping your whole week by changing the end date to 7 days after the start date. Finally, your reservation end date will align with your desired end date. At that point, you can drop any extra days at the beginning of the reservation, if you don't want to stay a whole week. With the latest update to the website giving us a modify function, it's a lot easier to do it than it was before (calling member services every day).

I'm not a fan of walking. If it becomes an issue, DVC will find some way to prevent it (e.g., you can only modify a reservation 3 times).
Thanks for the explanation! That is interesting and I would be curious how long Disney allows that to happen!

Thanks for the explanation! That is interesting and I would be curious how long Disney allows that to happen!
Walking has been around since they changed booking from 7 or 11 months from your departure day to booking 7 to 11 months from your check in day.

If you want to routinely book a studio for Christmas, my advice stays the same even though it’ll be more points (161 vs 118):

Buy a fixed week.

Wilderness Lodge is especially Christmas-y themed and in demand during that time.

Besides. I think 161 vs 75 points is a much better place to start, assuming it’s in your budget.

And I doubt that you’d regret a fixed week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!