How far in advance do most people book a cruise and is traveling alone with a child a good idea?

JoshF

Mouseketeer
Thinking about taking my DS on a cruise. How far in advance do most people book?

He will be 6 when I plan on going and it would be just me and him. Is it going to be a challenge or are there a lot of activities for a 6 yr old that will help me get some R&R?

Also, what ages are most popular for children to enjoy Disney Cruises?

Thanks for any feedback / tips on this!

I would take my son at 6...but if he doesn’t like the kids clubs you would have him full time...but there are still tons of activities.

And I think 6 is probably a good age too... we went when DS was 4.5 and he was still too young for some activities.

Oh and I try to book on opening day.

So, who knows what cruising will be like when it resumes....but I think a reasonably social 6 y/o would have a blast. The itinerary would be important depending on what activities or interests he has. Might be a great time for some "soft" learning about other cultures and traditions.

Reserving opening day is supposed to be cheaper....we usually aren't ready to do that.....often fares get cheaper near sailing if the boat is not full. But again, after COVID, they probably don't want to be full for a while.

Something to consider is passports if you don't already have them. Depending on itinerary they may not be required but recommended.

I've traveled individually with each of my kids, I really enjoy the one on one time with them and the new adventures and they are some of my favorite memories. I never expect to have a relaxing/adult time trip when travelling with mine (either alone or with my husband). Mine sometimes like to do the kids club, but it's not always their first choice and we've never forced them to go if they don't want to.

I went solo with my 8 year old last year and we had a great time. She would go to the kids club for a couple of hours while I hit the adult pool and then we would catch up and do something together. 6 is a great age to still enjoy the magic of the characters, which is much more available on the ships. Highly recommend.

How far in advance do most people book?
The furthest out we've booked is 23 months. The shortest - 3 days. Our average is around 5-6 months.

How far out is opening day and how can I find when there will be opening days?
While difficult to predict, generally it's around 18 months out, and over the last few years DCL seems to have adopted this pattern for release dates on new cruises:
  • "Winter": first cruise in the new year up to April/May (not including spring Panama Canal and Transatlantic) – sometime between late September to early November
  • "Summer": cruises from about May to August/September (not including fall Panama Canal and Transatlantic) – mid February to early April.
  • "Fall": September until the end of the year (ending with the last cruise starting in the old year) – generally around May.
That being said, with the pandemic, there's no way of knowing when cruising will return, and what the opening date for any given cruise may be.

If there is an itinerary we are waiting for, as soon as it opens up. Definitely at least a year in advance. Disney is great for families and adults. I would wait at least until I had a 5 year old and older. Of course, I have seen many younger too

Happy planning.

I'd recommend a cruise with a 6 year old. We started taking our kids when they were slightly older, and I'd note that they never really got into the kids clubs and that was ok with us (but we wouldn't have minded if they'd liked it). Sitting by the pool, watching funnel vision (movies on a screen on the funnel of the boat), was pretty relaxing. It was fun to do activities together and my kids liked having food available at all times. Also, if they are still seating families with other kids, that can sometimes work to help your child find a friend on the boat.

As others have noted, Disney prices are sometimes best on opening day. I'd recommend connecting with a travel agent to help you do that. Tons of info on these boards, but a travel agent can help you to book on opening day, or soon thereafter, and you might also benefit from onboard credit if the agency offers it.

How far out is opening day and how can I find when there will be opening days?

Disney releases sailing in groups of a few months at a time. approximately 18 months in advance (give or take a few months) At the top of this board, you will see a 2021 watch thread. As we get closer to the next release it will surely be mentioned there and the dates will be noted. Given the current situation it is hard to guess what Disney will do for the next release but you can keep an eye out there.

I started cruising with just my daughter when she was 8. We have been on 7 cruises now, just the two of us, and she just turned 13. I usually actually wish she would spend more time with me! She usually makes friends and is off doing her own thing most of the time. Sometimes she has pretty much lived in the kids clubs or Edge (once she was older) and other cruises she has done more pool, movies, crafts, game shows, etc. I do insist that she eat dinner with me and watch the big production shows with me. We also plan and do our shore excursions together too. With a 6 year old, you won't have quite as much time to yourself. You will have to check him out of the kids club (he can check himself in though). On our first cruise, I wasn't comfortable with her going places by herself, which I'm sure you won't be either. Now she knows the ships so well that she just goes where she wants when she wants pretty much. It is such a fabulous thing!

Thinking about taking my DS on a cruise. How far in advance do most people book?

He will be 6 when I plan on going and it would be just me and him. Is it going to be a challenge or are there a lot of activities for a 6 yr old that will help me get some R&R?

Also, what ages are most popular for children to enjoy Disney Cruises?

Thanks for any feedback / tips on this!
I'm a single mom and have loved cruising with my son. How much me-time you'll get depends on if your son is the independent type or not, in terms of being okay with spending a few hours without you at the kids clubs. You should have an idea of how he does with separations, and keep in mind that at DCL's clubs, he won't know anyone. So keep your expectations on that realistic. They have open house hours where parents can come. You could use those to help him acclimate. The club staff is responsible, but they won't give all their attention to one child, and if he's crying or begging to leave they will contact you & ask you to come get him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter