How far out to AP room only discount go?

famsen

DIS Veteran
I'm really close to getting an AP for the first time in my life. I have been going twice a year for the past several years. I would love the ability to park hop and I like the AP perks of discounts and special merchandise. I am just learning about AP room discounts. How for in advance can you check for a discount? I already have a standard view room at Poly booked Sept 16-22 without any discounts but am wondering if I buy my AP now would I be able to see if there is a discount available yet?

I'm really close to getting an AP for the first time in my life. I have been going twice a year for the past several years. I would love the ability to park hop and I like the AP perks of discounts and special merchandise. I am just learning about AP room discounts. How for in advance can you check for a discount? I already have a standard view room at Poly booked Sept 16-22 without any discounts but am wondering if I buy my AP now would I be able to see if there is a discount available yet?

No, AP discounts aren't available that far out yet.

AP discounts act a lot like regular room-only discounts. Disney releases them for certain time periods/certain dates, usually in roughly 2-3 month windows. They are often/usually released after all other discounts/promotions are released (said another way, Disney will try to fill their rooms with higher paying guests first, then us APs get a shot!).

For example, the current AP room discount offer that was released last week covers 4/15-6/10/18. The prior promotion was valid for stays 1/1-4/14/18.

Also remember that an AP discount isn't always guaranteed - just like regular room only discounts, there has to be availability of the discount to get one. Sorry if you already know that.

One last thing, last year, AP discounts that covered 9/1/17-10/7/17 were released 6/22/17. Past performance is not always indicative of future results, but sometime "around" that date is when you're likely to see AP discounts for Sept come out this year.

That's a primer of how things work - feel free to ask any questions. :-)

Ah. Thanks for all that good information. So I might as well wait to get my AP closer to my trip and check for any room discounts at that time.

Be warned that AP discounts aren't always the best. I have a split stay booked for May 7 - 12, two nights ASSp and 3 nights Dolphin. Even with the AP discount I got ASSp for a better rate on Orbitz using the general discount and then stacking Orbitz 15% discount on top. I got Dolphin for a total of $265 a night (that includes tax and all their silly fees) which is about what you would get a moderate for with the AP discount. Now I will have to pay $20/night parking at Dolphin since we drive down, which I wouldn't have to pay at a Disney Epcot resort but the cheapest I could get one of those was $377 with the AP discount and that doesn't include taxes.

To add to PP: I just booked mid April, get this: The AP discount is only $10 off per night! Seriously. Sadly GP discount isn't still available for those dates at Orbitz. Using the Orbitz Visa and the $150 off (the 15% orbitz code maximum is $150 now, fyi) I'd do as well as the AP rate. (But have the tedious task of calling Orbitz to add the kids. The do the 3rd+ adult upcharge - mistakenly -for kids.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts