How fast it all changed.

Hoping today is just what you wanted/needed it to be, thinking of you and your kids

I hope the celebration brought some comfort, peace and closure for you and your family and all those who came to show their love and support for your buddy.

I have been thinking of you and your family yesterday and today. I hope things went well with your celebration. From what you have said your DH was well loved and I am sure many people wanted to honor him.

I hope your DS did what felt best for him and that he has no regrets.

Rodeo, Just checking in to see how you and your family are doing. You are an amazing person! I'm sure your story is helping others dealing with/or who have dealt with losing someone so special.

Thinking of you all weekend. Hope you had a wonderful celebration and you were surrounded with nothing buy love.

I think everyone in attendance - we ended up with just over 80 who came, felt that it was completely in keeping with DH's personality and what he would have wanted. The morning was a little chaotic, with neither of the kids helping out with the chores I'd asked them to do. I had to stop getting ready midway through to vacuum the house because DD took three hours to get herself ready. DS eventually got up and did the main floor bathroom as asked but it was kind of a half @ssed job. I had to do another once over when we got back and before people started arriving. So, we started the day out bickering. Once we arrived, though everything was fine.

DD started crying when I got up to announce the tribute dance to our wedding song. I couldn't look at her once I saw her starting or I wouldn't have made it through what I wanted to say. The dance was just beautiful. I can't remember if I mentioned it but our first dance was to Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon". A good friend of DS's who he competes with and his partner did the tribute. He wore black costuming and her gown was white with some blue and purple detailing. They looked like a bride and groom and their dance was just such a lovely foxtrot. They're very high level competitors and it matched - or actually beat anything you'd see on DWTS! I was so happy with it! I wish I'd taken my phone up to the podium but I forgot and DD was still crying so no one filmed it. I think my brother may have filmed some clips but he hasn't sent them to me yet.

My brother then started the ball for anyone who wanted to get up and say a few words and we had about five people who chose to do so - funny stories and one both funny and touching.

DS decided he wasn't going to dance. He almost did. His friend who danced walked over to him as one of his school friends was asking him to and heard DS say sure - give me $5 and I'll dance. His dance buddy said I'll give you $20. It became a thing and more and more people upped the $$ value and DS got more and more reluctant. In the end he said he just wasn't up for it. He had been crying earlier while watching the photo slideshow and I think that just set his tone for no. He said later he wanted to but just didn't feel in the right frame of mind. He did however, when most of the guests had left, take his girlfriend up to try and teach her salsa. :rotfl:

Afterwards, we packed up the leftover sandwiches (all the pizza and sliders went quickly - the pizza being another thing that DH had insisted on for the midnight table at our reception.) We took it all back to my house and some of my closer friends came back for drinks and leftovers. DS's dance partner and her parents were there and came back. DS had a large group of friends come also and then after a while, they all wanted to go to the coffee shop where they normally hang out, so she asked to go too. I was happy to see that as she will be staying with us for a week in August before a big comp. Her family will spend the summer on the east coast and she is coming back to stay with us so they can practice before we travel to the comp. She'll be staying in our room so I was glad to see it evolving to a friendship as well as partnership. She gets along with DD also which is great! The last of our friends left at about midnight, so it was a long and tiring day, but it gave me what I needed. Well almost - aside from having him back.

The last of our friends left at about midnight, so it was a long and tiring day, but it gave me what I needed.

The dance was just beautiful. I can't remember if I mentioned it but our first dance was to Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon".

Happy that you were surrounded by so much love Rodeo. And that the dance was beautiful and obviously so touching. Lovely.

I smiled with the pizza, and your son teaching salsa to his girlfriend, well trying. :flower3: We all can't be as talented, unfortunately. :laughing:

And smiled and sighed for you how everyone felt how much of a tribute it was to your husband, and what he would have wanted. We all know how important that was to you Rodeo.

Hopeful that the memory of the day can provide you some comfort on the most difficult days. :hug:

It's obvious that you have done your husband so proud at every turn Rodeo. Love sent.

Last edited:
Been thinking about you and your family. Glad to hear the Celebration went well and such a wonderful tribute to your beloved husband. You are incredibly strong and so thoughtful to always think of your children’s feelings as well as yours. As for the bickering in the morning, they are kids, navigating this incredibly hard journey. They have been incredibly strong themselves, you are your husband have instilled the same strength in them.

(((HUGS)))

So glad to hear it went well....and now that’s behind you and the kids.
And now you get to find your new normal. wishing peace for you.

Sounds like a beautiful celebration and hopefully some much needed closure to help you move forward. Continued prayers for you and your family.

I knew it would be a perfect day. I'm almost sad inside as I feel this is the end of your story here on the DIS. Please know I am always thinking of you and wishing only the best come your way. Keep checking in as we do truly care.

You did a fantastic job throughout this entire chapter of your life. Know that your DH is always with you.

Lol, Snowflakey! I know what you mean. I sort of feel like it's the end of the story too. Kind of in my real world too. I have this sense of 'ok, now what?' I want to keep posting because I found a lot of support here but really, how much do people really want to hear about me trying to learn what pool chemicals are needed, how the house purge is going (not too quickly for sure!), if my kids earn any credits this semester and whether or not we prevail on the bank insurance issue. As IRL, people move on, as they should, because life does.

Lol, Snowflakey! I know what you mean. I sort of feel like it's the end of the story too. Kind of in my real world too. I have this sense of 'ok, now what?' I want to keep posting because I found a lot of support here but really, how much do people really want to hear about me trying to learn what pool chemicals are needed, how the house purge is going (not too quickly for sure!), if my kids earn any credits this semester and whether or not we prevail on the bank insurance issue. As IRL, people move on, as they should, because life does.
Your DIS friends are always here to listen.

I want to know all those things - most especially about the insurance! I have my fingers crossed for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter