How flexible are rental car pick up times?

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
I have a rental car booked through Enterprise and I scheduled to pick it up at 3:30. Now I’m thinking of changing our flight to an earlier time, and I’d like to pick it up at 1:00. Can I pick it up earlier than originally planned without having to pay more or should I just modify the booking? This is for SFO if that makes a difference.

I have a rental car booked through Enterprise and I scheduled to pick it up at 3:30. Now I’m thinking of changing our flight to an earlier time, and I’d like to pick it up at 1:00. Can I pick it up earlier than originally planned without having to pay more or should I just modify the booking? This is for SFO if that makes a difference.
Modify. While you may get lucky and get an earlier pick-up, they are not obligated to deliver something to you until 3:30. You may also be stuck with a Geo Metro (or electric vehicle, if that matters) over whatever class you have chosen.

Last edited:
Two hours, I probably wouldn't modify if it was going to raise the price. Just remember the clock starts ticking as soon as you drive off the lot with it. If you have it reserved for three days you need to have it back at 72 hours or you will be charged extra.

I’ve never been questioned about pick up or drop off times. If they have cars available they won’t care. As long as the pickup time or drop off is several hours difference it won’t matter

I’ve never been questioned about pick up or drop off times. If they have cars available they won’t care. As long as the pickup time or drop off is several hours difference it won’t matter
At MCO, I had rented with Hertz and then my flight was changed to about 90 minutes earlier. I didn’t modify my car. Naturally, my name was not on the board when I arrived in the garage. I was told they had no mid-size available, and I could either wait until one returned and was cleaned, or I could take a compact. We took the compact as it was just two of us with carry-ons, but I loathe driving small cars in Orlando traffic, so I always modify now. Granted n=1, but I, personally, would like to know I’m getting the car I reserved. Ymmv

It will depend on the company. Let's say you've arranged for a rental from Sunday Noon - Sunday Noon. The weekly rate is usually cheaper than 7 "daily rates". The daily rate is cheaper by hour than the hourly rate.

You change your flight and pick up the car Sunday at 10a. You haven't changed your return flight, so you drop it off Sunday at Noon. You get your final bill and find out you were charged for a weekly rate + two hours. Maybe it will matter, maybe it won't.

It will depend on the company. Let's say you've arranged for a rental from Sunday Noon - Sunday Noon. The weekly rate is usually cheaper than 7 "daily rates". The daily rate is cheaper by hour than the hourly rate.

You change your flight and pick up the car Sunday at 10a. You haven't changed your return flight, so you drop it off Sunday at Noon. You get your final bill and find out you were charged for a weekly rate + two hours. Maybe it will matter, maybe it won't.
I agree. I was just relaying my experience. A couple of hours variance has never been a problem for me.

I agree. I was just relaying my experience. A couple of hours variance has never been a problem for me.
There are a bunch of variables though. IIRC, most "week long" rentals start at 4 days. So if you had the car for six days, it wouldn't matter whether you added an extra 12 hours onto the rental, you're still paying for the week. It would depend on the policy of whatever company you're using.

There are a bunch of variables though. IIRC, most "week long" rentals start at 4 days. So if you had the car for six days, it wouldn't matter whether you added an extra 12 hours onto the rental, you're still paying for the week. It would depend on the policy of whatever company you're using.
Except that you would likely get charged for an extra day’s facility fee, tire/battery fee, and whatever other fees are charged on a daily basis, even if the weekly rate included the extra time.

Two hours, I probably wouldn't modify if it was going to raise the price. Just remember the clock starts ticking as soon as you drive off the lot with it. If you have it reserved for three days you need to have it back at 72 hours or you will be charged extra.
I decided to let it be. Our flight leaves at 12:30pm so I'll have to have the car back around 10:00am so we'll be good there.

I think we'll be good. We have the rental for two weeks, from a Tuesday-Tuesday. I'll pick it up around 1:00pm and will need to drop it off around 10:00am.

The longer the period the more flexible they become. Wouldn’t worry about it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter