How is August/September?

Quirky Cruiser

Mouseketeer
I'm going on my first cruise on the Wonder this Sunday and I'm looking into booking on board for the August 30th Western Magic. Has anybody cruised this time of year? Is it really risky going this time of year? I'm looking into this week because I have Labor Day off from work and wouldn't have to take all that many vacation days. I know there could be possible itinerary changes, but I probably won't care as long as I'm on the boat! I'm just trying to decide if I want to go in September or if I should hold off until January/February. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

September and October are my favorite months to cruise. Yes, it is during hurricane season, but that doesn't particularly bother me. I've even been re-routed once. Just adds to the adventure for me. I like this time of year because the rates are cheaper (although they may not be over labor day weekend), the weather is still warm and the days are still long.

I wouldn't call it risky at all. The ship will not sail right into a storm, it will stay well away from any weather system which might cause a problem.

August and September, while risky, are really the best time to go IMO. There are still Summer seas, it's nice and HOT, and not as crowded in the ports. Besides, look at the risk of getting sick during cold and flu season (Jan/Feb). We sailed Jan 25, '03, and did not get sick, but the seas were rough, the weather was unpredictable, the ports were swarming with people. We did have a wonderful time, but we booked our next cruise for September. I'd rather have a Mystery Cruise, than come home with a bug, or spend time just trying to get around the ports.

REMEMBER THE MAGIC!
Tracy

cruises - we had perfect weather (although a bit hot in Key West) and calm seas. We loved it so much we have # 3 booked for 8/28/04.

Ginny

Thank you for all your responses! I think I'm crazy since I haven't even been on my first disney cruise and I'm already planning for my second! But, then again, I love everything disney, so I doubt there'll be many disappointments! The more and more I read about the seven day cruise, the more and more I want to go on it. The price for Labor Day weekend was actually quite reasonable - although I want a veranda, I think I'll stick with an Inside Cabin this time so that I can go again soon. :cool:

We cruised in August the first year the Magic was sailing. We had been on a June, but had to reschedule due to the launch delay. As has been said there is always the possibility of re-routing but it is a glorious time of year to cruise. When I go south I want HOT weather. We've also cruised in Feb and that was nice but the heat didn't bake into my bones.

(Note we're in Michigan and I am TIRED of winte!)

:p Deb

We went the last week of August in 2002 on the Wonder. The weather good and seas were smooth. We did have rain for about 2 hours while in Nassau but otherwise the weather was clear.

It was, however, HOT! I really don't like hot weather but we had to go in August since we didn't want to pull DS out of school. I loved leaving the verandah open but could only leave it open so long as the stateroom would get warm. I sure did go through a lot of shirts and needed to take 2 showers every day.

If you don't mind the heat, August is great. If I could, I would rather cruise in January or February.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter