How is Walk-Up (no Res) dining?

Mr Mannn

Who da Mannn? He da Mannn!
I am going on a solo trip in October. When I am solo I don't like to wear a watch or worry about reservations. I typically make little or no plans and wander where I may.

I do have the standard dining plan, but I do NOT want to be a slave to reservations. I would love to tour the hotels and the cool places to eat.

I am thinking about the Boma at AK Lodge. It's a $60 buffet, I've never been there. Looks like it is worth my $75 for the day. Have y'all ever just walked up and in for dinner?

Any other suggestions for walk up dining? The hotels seem to be less hectic than the parks and more relaxed. Where would yo go without a res?

Can't speak for Boma since I've never been there but many speak very well of it.

I've had good experiences doing walk-ups and same day reservations at lounges and some restaurants in the parks as well as all of Disney Springs.
Spent a bit over 2 weeks at WDW during last Dec/Jan having only 2 or 3 ADRs for specifically wanted meals (Christmas Day, NYE, and a dinner at V+A) yet ate well everyday of the trip.
HTH.

I think you can find same day ADR's but I would not count on walking up to restaurants like Boma, that typically sell out. Many folks here report they never make ADR's in advance but will always find someplace open they like when they are hungry, however they use the app and make the ADR even if an hour early.

We haven't made ADR's more than one day in advance in several years. We have no problems eating at pretty much any restaurant we want. However, we DO make ADR's day before or day of.

We're all different, but there's no way I would pay for the dining plan with the idea of just walking up to restaurants. I would just do OOP. A solo trip seems like a great time to try out lounges and such...which do not take the DDP.

We haven't made ADR's more than one day in advance in several years. We have no problems eating at pretty much any restaurant we want. However, we DO make ADR's day before or day of.

We're all different, but there's no way I would pay for the dining plan with the idea of just walking up to restaurants. I would just do OOP. A solo trip seems like a great time to try out lounges and such...which do not take the DDP.

I think I would do the same. I woudl not chance that my entire family could be accomodated in a lounge so we seldom have teh opportunity to indulge those small plates, and dinign on a whim, etc.A solo trip woudl be a perfect time to enjoy accomodating just me.

You cannot count on just walking up. Make a same day or day before ADR if you can. I will give you an example of what can happen. A couple at my temple had me plan their trip. Well while there they wanted to eat at Skippers Canteen. They walked in saw it was half full and asked for seats. They were turned away. The wife got online and got an ADR for 10 minutes later. They were seated. Disney is really a slave to the online monster they created.

We seldom make ADR's and we do attempt walk-ups often, however, we always attempt the walk-ups at places we happen to be passing by and we are always prepared to be turned away. I would never go out of my way to travel somewhere and attempt a walk-up. As PP's have suggested, I would try day-of ADR's to secure a spot. We never purchase the dining plan, so I don't really care if we are turned away or not. On the dining plan, I, personally, wouldn't risk having credits go to waste. When staying at AK, I've noticed Boma gets quite crowded. If you want to eat there, I would definitely make an ADR before heading over.

If you have your mind set on a particular place I wouldn't risk a walk up. October is typically a very busy time and with HS opening up the Star Wars section this fall likely to be even busier. I'd at least check for last minute ADRs the day before or the day of.

We do mainly same-day reservations, but no walk-ups. I would go without reservations, but plan on making them each day of your trip, as you go along. Sure, you might walk up and get right in, but most places you will probably wait a long time - which would make me antsy.

We have had great luck snagging same day reservations. As a party of two, we have a better chance doing a walk up if we are willing to sit at the bar and eat. We've had some wonderful meals sitting at the bar! Bona is our hands down favorite restaurant, but I would never chance a walk up there. It's just too popular.

We always make reservations because it keeps our day simpler.
The suggestion to make ressies day of is a good one.

Of course, you can always try just walking up.
On the other hand, we've been checked in, waiting for a table when a walk up party was refused. It happens.

Several places we ate this weekend in parks (and it happens every trip) ... as we were checking in others were trying for walk up. Mostly couples who I assume are like you just wanting to enjoy their day without stress. EVERY one was told they do not accept walk ups and you must book via MDE. We have done the same thing, and almost always told use MDE. Now we have at times simply stepped out the door, opened the APP and then booked our table, sometimes walking right back in.

Just some thoughts:
- FREE DINING time frames are tough.
- Do not travel out of your way or to a resort you are not at unless you get on the APP and book a table. Odds are you will waste a whole lot of your time if you travel to attempt a walk up.
- Avoid the most popular restaurants, there are actually some hidden gems ... Marrakesh for one.
- Avoid busy times; if you check right at opening or the more dead time around 3 you might do better.
- Be aware of the restaurants that have bars you can sit at with a full menu.
- Know which Disney Springs restaurants accept it, likely to get walk up and better food.
- If you like nighttime entertainment and know you will be in a park all day, I would go ahead and make at least a dinner reservation so you don't end up eating at time where you will miss the entertainment, or do lunch for TS.
- Just remember for walk up ..... as a solo you will likely sit at a two top or four top .... so a management decision could be in place to not seat a solo which means loss of income for them.

Last edited:
we also never make ADR's but will make same day if we are going to a resort...never had an issue and also never been turned away when we walk up but do in general wait longer than if we make an ADR IE with ADR we would check in and wait 5 minutes without we would wait 20 but that has been my experience. Boma does in fact have a few tables for 2.... and this is one of the places I did walk up to and actually only waited a few minutes for a table for 2 and the lobby was packed in general however we do not have 2 just a trip where others where with us and we were staying at AKL and it was during free dine but we have DVC so we paid OOP. However as others have said I would make an ADR even if it is while waiting for the bus. Other times I make a same day ADR even a few hours before. The place I never make ADR for is Disney springs and never had a problem but if it were a holiday that can be an issue. I do admit to eating a lot at DS as I find the food a lot better than what we get at the parks and most resorts.

I would just check the app last minute to book an ADR.

I would not want to waste time walking up to the TS, wait behind all the folks checking in to their ADRs and find out they have nothing available.

Just check the app and book something last minute.

I would just check the app last minute to book an ADR.

I would not want to waste time walking up to the TS, wait behind all the folks checking in to their ADRs and find out they have nothing available.

Just check the app and book something last minute.
I agree that checking an app is a great idea especially within the parks and resorts. It was a bit different at Disney Springs though. Quite easy to do walkups there during off-times. When I did check for a reservation at DS I used opentable.com instead of Disney's app since opentable has more openings avail than WDW.
This works great for solos and couples but my strategy changes when others are with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter