How last minute have you booked DVC?

We were at Vero recently next to someone at the front desk trying to stay an extra night and they were told no. We also overheard some people begging for an extra night at BWV when we were checking in last March and they were also told no. I also overheard those same people a few minutes later say that they had just gotten the night at HHI off a waitlist reservation. Random. And then a couple of years ago we were at paradise pier hotel ( I know, not dvc) and tried to add on an extra night ourselves. No luck. They were actually super rude to us, which really surprised me. But we were able to add on an extra night at port orleans about 4 years ago and about 10 years ago, we were able to add an extra night on at GF (not dvc) at the same return rate on which we were booked (really nice CM that time). So, you guys are lucky because I have seen dvc resorts turn people down for extra nights!
We tried twice and were told no. They told me they don't have the ability to book or modify DVC. :confused3

Approx 4 hours ahead.

Any time is all about there being a room there that you want or are ok staying in. There isn't anyway to state that yes, 3 months will be fine or 6 months or 1 day. ie you can have a guess at it but it won't be guaranteed. Last "minute" bookings are mostly about flexibility to work with the availability.

Same day but it was years ago over Labor Day weekend. Got a room at OKW when we decided to drive down at the last minute.
Yesterday I moved from a BWV 1-br to BLT 2-br for first week in December.

Day of for us as well. But just an additional night although we changed resorts. We booked at Vero about 5 days out just this month.

When we bought DVC, we were staying in All Star Sports and our guide got us in a studio for the rest of our trip on the 16th floor of BLT. On our own, we booked Saratoga Springs 2 days out.

August 2004: Same day reservation for 2 nights at Vero. We were already on the FL coastline via RCI and decided to take a "vacation in the middle of our vacation" by popping over to Vero. Cool.

Oct 2018 (?): Two weeks out, we snagged a BWV Standard Studio, 2 night weekend, while vacationing at OKW! Wow! It was worth flying all the way back from the West Coast for that find!

Last edited:

Does the 31 day mark tend to have more cancellations as people cancel in order to avoid points going into holding?

A hurricane was coming to Florida. Lots of people were scared. We changed our flights for free and left three days early. Booked the day before for the three days. Suppose to been a week but changed it to 10 nights. What a really great time we had. Parks were closed for two days but the low low low crowds more than made up for it. Sorry to see the hurricane come and ruin a lot of people lives but I couldn’t do anything about it of course so just go and enjoy.

I once got a night at BCV about 1 week out. I was in Orlando for business and decided to add a night. I miss those days, everything is online now (last 3 or 4 years).

DW and I several times have been at DTD for the day and decided we wanted to stay the night. Called the resorts directly (back before MS was open on Sundays) or MS and checked in within 15 minutes.
At MK for the day in Feb ’14 for our anniversary, called MS @09:00, and booked a room at BLT for that night. Checked-in @11:00 and the room was ready. We did not plan on this day going like this until @05:00 while still in bed.

I guess you'd say day of at HHI the week of Thanksgiving (a busy time). What had happened was that we arrived to learn that our reservation had been inexplicably cancelled and the resort was sold out. However, the resort worked with us every day, cancellations DO occur, and although we moved rooms a lot, every night we had a place to stay. Although we never found out why the cancellation occurred, MS at first insisted it was our fault, basically "tough luck". But finally they said they'd listen to the recording of the call resulting in the cancellation (you know how they say "this call may be monitored or recorded for training purposes"? It can help you!)-then when they called back, they were suddenly VERY nice. I guess I never wanted to hear "we screwed up-sorry", that would have done it to my Irish temper, but....

I guess you'd say day of at HHI the week of Thanksgiving (a busy time). What had happened was that we arrived to learn that our reservation had been inexplicably cancelled and the resort was sold out. However, the resort worked with us every day, cancellations DO occur, and although we moved rooms a lot, every night we had a place to stay. Although we never found out why the cancellation occurred, MS at first insisted it was our fault, basically "tough luck". But finally they said they'd listen to the recording of the call resulting in the cancellation (you know how they say "this call may be monitored or recorded for training purposes"? It can help you!)-then when they called back, they were suddenly VERY nice. I guess I never wanted to hear "we screwed up-sorry", that would have done it to my Irish temper, but....
WOW!

An August 6, I was able to book a 2br BCV for September 27th. I have never been able to get a room here at the 7 month mark. Aulani and AK are my home resorts. We decided to take advantage of the slow times. I’ll probably never be able to book that close again.

Last minute reservation I have made was the same day I was flying in. Called while waiting at the airport to see if a room was available and there was.

Just wondering, if no room had been available, would you have had to turn around and fly back home? Or did you at least already have somewhere to stay?

Last minute reservation I have made was the same day I was flying in. Called while waiting at the airport to see if a room was available and there was.

I kind of did a similar thing with VGC. Had a 1BR booked for arrival night which we had decided to add and then moving to a studio. It was a trip that spanned over the New Year. My cousins flight arrived a little later so I was just waiting at the airport and figured what they heck and called MS. Yep - studio was available so they were nice enough to get us moved into that instead. A few points in holding but I easily used those on a later trip.

Last summer we booked the week before..holidays popped up..checked with wife..called down..called flights cheap..booked and packed in less than a week stayed for a week 1bdrm at okw

Easter weekend 2019 we ended up arriving a day early and there was a Boulder Ridge studio available for that night. Three days ago I just booked my friend a studio at Beach Club, checking in today, on expiring points. She got upgraded to a one bedroom.

We had the same thing last year, staying off site just in case and got the room (CCV studio) the morning we were flying to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter