How long are then lines in the morning to apply for DAS?

allysetraskos

Allyse Grant
To be best prepared how long does a typical line take to get the DAS?
(At Magic Kingdom specifically)

I'm worried about experiencing a meltdown before we can even apply for a pass.

We recently got kicked out a post office due to a meltdown, yes a USPS office asked us to leave because they didn't understand my son's needs... Now I feel so anxious and worried about our trip this year :(

It really depends on the day I have been to the MK some times first thing in the morning and walked right in with no line and other times I have had to wait. remember that Main Street opens at 8 ( or close to 8) even with the park opens at 9 am and most people go down MS when the park first opens

There's no way to tell until you're there, unfortunately. I've walked right up with no one there and we've had a decent wait. Can someone wait in line and someone else wait with your son until it's your turn?

We've had no one in front of us when we walked in or we've had a good 20 minute wait. There's really no way to know until you arrive.

Will you have another adult with you? If there are more than 3 people in line my husband will take all the kids off to the side and walk them around a bit. When I'm getting close to the front of the line he brings the kids back over, but not quite in the line. I don't grab my son's hand or stroller until I have to.

for the people that have one adult wait in line and another with the kids off to the side have your kids rejoin you when you get inside even if there is still a line, there tends to be a CM asking what you need and most of the time if I say to get my DAS they pull me out of line and do it right then and there. Find for the most part GR lines do move fast

It's a very small, crowded space. Most people who need a DAS are not going do well in there either. It's best if you have someone with you to wait outside with the recipient. The CM will take their electronic device and walk outside with you. I've never waited more than five minutes for a CM, but no way to predict how many in line on any given day. It's very nice that they take you away from the crowded space to talk to you anyway.

We recently got kicked out a post office due to a meltdown, yes a USPS office asked us to leave because they didn't understand my son's needs

If you haven't already I would urge you raise an official complaint with the postal service for this kind of treatment - Know it's a pain but only by call these things out can company realize the problem and address it.

As for DAS could I suggest the IG at Epcot, as you can go to GS without even going in the park. If you're there the night before might be worth heading over there to pick up the pass so you're all ready for the next day MK fun filled day. You can also treat yourself to a nice Ice-cream from Ample-hills afterwards.

If you haven't already I would urge you raise an official complaint with the postal service for this kind of treatment - Know it's a pain but only by call these things out can company realize the problem and address it.

As for DAS could I suggest the IG at Epcot, as you can go to GS without even going in the park. If you're there the night before might be worth heading over there to pick up the pass so you're all ready for the next day MK fun filled day. You can also treat yourself to a nice Ice-cream from Ample-hills afterwards.

I filed a complaint with the post master and their official response email stated I should be "better prepared" when going to the post office and providing "activities" for my child when long lines are expected (they had 1 person working at 10 people in line)... It was their fault they were understaffed.
I am going to file a complaint higher up. The woman who was working that told us we were going to have to leave because my son wasn't management of any sort.

I was thinking about going over to the IG at Epcot and maybe walking along the boardwalk after the night before, that way we could at least do rope drop the next morning and go on as many rides as we can first thing before the wait times get crazy.

I filed a complaint with the post master and their official response email stated I should be "better prepared" when going to the post office and providing "activities" for my child when long lines are expected (they had 1 person working at 10 people in line)... It was their fault they were understaffed.
I am going to file a complaint higher up. The woman who was working that told us we were going to have to leave because my son wasn't management of any sort.

Yes, it was their fault they were understaffed, no question. But I highly doubt that the USPS (or any business, for that matter) is required to staff based on the possibility that a child might have a meltdown due to a disability. If you know that your child has difficulty waiting in long lines, which is 100% understandable, then I agree with the postmaster that it's up to you to be as prepared as possible to deal with long lines when accompanied by your child.

JMO

Yes, it was their fault they were understaffed, no question. But I highly doubt that the USPS (or any business, for that matter) is required to staff based on the possibility that a child might have a meltdown due to a disability. If you know that your child has difficulty waiting in long lines, which is 100% understandable, then I agree with the postmaster that it's up to you to be as prepared as possible to deal with long lines when accompanied by your child.

True they don't have to have staff; but to ask her to leave and refuse service because of a disability (i.e. an Autistic meltdown) is wrong, just so wrong.

sorry being from the UK I don't what laws or legislation you have around it, in the UK if that happened to me I would be quoting the Disability Discrimination Act and be writing to my Member of Parliament.

Sorry, not having a pop at you @OurBigTrip, just stuff like this makes my blood boil and hate it when companies blame the parents (grrr, grrr and thrice grr) as Autism is so complex you can't plan for every eventuality if you did you be leaving the house with the "whole world and Margate" packed in a bag.

I'm normally a lot less militant; but now I am a proud Mumma Bear of a fab ASD DS it's starting to come out more and more. (Don't worry I have now got some chocolate so will be calmer in a minute lol)

True they don't have to have staff; but to ask her to leave and refuse service because of a disability (i.e. an Autistic meltdown) is wrong, just so wrong.

sorry being from the UK I don't what laws or legislation you have around it, in the UK if that happened to me I would be quoting the Disability Discrimination Act and be writing to my Member of Parliament.

Sorry, not having a pop at you @OurBigTrip, just stuff like this makes my blood boil and hate it when companies blame the parents (grrr, grrr and thrice grr) as Autism is so complex you can't plan for every eventuality if you did you be leaving the house with the "whole world and Margate" packed in a bag.

I'm normally a lot less militant; but now I am a proud Mumma Bear of a fab ASD DS it's starting to come out more and more. (Don't worry I have now got some chocolate so will be calmer in a minute lol)

I get it, I do, and you're not popping off at me!

I just don't think it's reasonable to expect any business or entity, especially one in an enclosed area, like a post office, to allow the kind of disruption that a meltdown normally entails, to continue in their spaces, regardless of whether it's due to a disability or just a bratty kid (I had one of those, so I'm NOT throwing stones.)

I just believe that there is or should be a limit to what employees and or customers should have to tolerate when it comes to an unmanageable child or adult, regardless of why the person is unmanageable.

And kudos to you for being a mama bear!

We were 3rd in line when the meltdown happend people came after us causing the line to get larger... It was all surreal to me he was in a shopping cart (so not running around or throwing himself on the floor just screaming this was such a minor meltdown in my books lol).... Something that usually in and out in 5 min took a little over that it went south so fast. I was kinda taken aback, that they told me I had to leave. I didn't argue it, I asked the woman "are you serious?"... and she said that he was disrupting the other customers.. (The woman in front of me said I could go ahead of her and didn't want me to leave) but post office worker she refused to serve me and said I had to leave.
I had brought snacks and a toy in my diaper bag... never did I think I needed to bring a whole kit to run to the post office (apparently their office must be notorious for being terribly slow if they have a routine like that.)... I could of pretty much brought every activity I own but it would have been the same result. Its just so hard to do basic tasks sometimes :(
Luckily it is all on camera so we are going to see what our options are.

We were 3rd in line when the meltdown happend people came after us causing the line to get larger... It was all surreal to me he was in a shopping cart (so not running around or throwing himself on the floor just screaming this was such a minor meltdown in my books lol).... Something that usually in and out in 5 min took a little over that it went south so fast. I was kinda taken aback, that they told me I had to leave. I didn't argue it, I asked the woman "are you serious?"... and she said that he was disrupting the other customers.. (The woman in front of me said I could go ahead of her and didn't want me to leave) but post office worker she refused to serve me and said I had to leave.
I had brought snacks and a toy in my diaper bag... never did I think I needed to bring a whole kit to run to the post office (apparently their office must be notorious for being terribly slow if they have a routine like that.)... I could of pretty much brought every activity I own but it would have been the same result. Its just so hard to do basic tasks sometimes :(
Luckily it is all on camera so we are going to see what our options are.

Firstly let me say you a fab mum doing an amazing job...

And from your description it just sounds like the person who asked you to leave had no idea, and you should definitely take it further as people need to be made aware and get some training in there.

Not sure if your post office like the one over here but definitely if it a branch of the government (ours is sort of a mix now) this needs to be address as if they are a public service they are they to serve the whole of the public....

I get it, I do, and you're not popping off at me!

I just don't think it's reasonable to expect any business or entity, especially one in an enclosed area, like a post office, to allow the kind of disruption that a meltdown normally entails, to continue in their spaces, regardless of whether it's due to a disability or just a bratty kid (I had one of those, so I'm NOT throwing stones.)

I just believe that there is or should be a limit to what employees and or customers should have to tolerate when it comes to an unmanageable child or adult, regardless of why the person is unmanageable.

And kudos to you for being a mama bear!

I understand what you're say and I have worked in customer facing jobs before (not now thank goodness) but people and business need to learn and adapt - obviously if someone becomes not only a danger to themselves but others of course they should be removed from the situation,

But that incident with a bit of understanding could have been handled so much differently - the lady who told her to leave with a bit of education could have said I can see this is getting stressful I will server you first or why don't you go out side for a few minute and when the child is calmer come back in and will serve you straight away.

They're doing a big push for understanding here in the UK as like most of you know more awareness is needed. Even "King Cross Station" yes the one in Harry Potter is looking at it's lighting and changing it to help with Sensory overload how cool is that!! Doing small things to make a big difference. (although if they are changing the lights I wonder if they'll do it at Universal Studios as well lol)

I've waited a few days to reply to this but I don't want to offend.
But a few things. How were the people in the Post Office supposed to know your child has a disability?
When in public everyone needs to be aware of the people around them regardless.
You shouldn't be in line anywhere talking loudly on your cell phone.
And old saying that still holds true:
Crying children are like promises... they should be carried out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts