How long for DME

chic mama

Mouseketeer
our flight for September was just pushed back. We were supposed to arrive at MCO at 3:05pm but now are arriving at 4:29pm. We have 6:35 ADR at Chef Mickey. We are staying at the Contemporary and have done online check in so shouldn't have to go to the front desk. I called Disney and the lady I talked to said to allow 75 minutes for ME and we should be fine. Anyone with experience getting to Contemporary on ME?? Think we will make it?

I'd cancel or see if another time opened up. People change ADRs all the time. You'd really be cutting it close. Bus will be driving during rush hour with a lot of traffic, and you have to get to DME, wait for it to arrive, wait for people to board, some with luggage etc. The bus doesn't immediately leave. It usually sits around for awhile waiting. There may be other flights arriving just after yours.
The bus services all the MK resorts, CR, WL, Poly & GF. So depending on what order the bus stops at the resorts, you'll also be waiting for others to get dropped off.

You're taking a bit of a chance, but I think you will be ok. In April, our flight got in at 3:20, and we were able to make an ADR at Chef Mickey's at 5:30 (we were also staying at the CR). I knew we were taking a chance, though, and I decided that I would be ok with paying the per person no show fee if we did not make it. We arrived at the CR with enough time to toss our carry-on bags in our room, use the restroom, and go downstairs to CM. I've had experience with ME taking anywhere from 60 to 100 minutes. Last month to BWI was 95 minutes.

Edit: the 95 minutes is from touchdown at MCO to getting off the ME bus. We sit at the back of the plane.

Last edited:

The bus services all the MK resorts, CR, WL, Poly & GF. So depending on what order the bus stops at the resorts, you'll also be waiting for others to get dropped off.
This isn't always true. There isn't just a bus scheduled to go to all the mk area resorts. It's always changing depending on where the arriving guests are headed to. We've been on a bus to fort wilderness that then went to the poly and GF. We've been on a bus that went to port orleans, Sarasota springs, and then fort wilderness. We've been on a bus that went to just fort wilderness and port orleans riverside. You never know what other resorts will be in the mix.

For me personally, I wouldn't take the chance. I'd cancel, and reschedule Chef Mickey's for a different day/time. But that's just me. You could keep the reservation and maybe make it, but there is no guarantee.

This isn't always true. There isn't just a bus scheduled to go to all the mk area resorts. It's always changing depending on where the arriving guests are headed to. We've been on a bus to fort wilderness that then went to the poly and GF. We've been on a bus that went to port orleans, Sarasota springs, and then fort wilderness. We've been on a bus that went to just fort wilderness and port orleans riverside. You never know what other resorts will be in the mix.

In general, when we've stayed at MK resorts they've stopped at WL, CR, Poly & GF. I guess it can be subject to change depending on demand. FT W, POR/FQ, OKW & SSR are on the same bus route. By back road FT W is very close to POR.
As I say, in general DME bus routes are divided into resort area groupings. Epcot Resort area, MK Resort area, Disney Springs Resort area, etc.

I thought that I had read that you can always reschedule the meal on the same day as your reservation to avoid the fee and then cancel it outside of the 24 hours. Just a thought if things get too tight time wise.

"now are arriving at 4:29pm" - OK, let's do the math.... I'm making a huge assumption: You are using MDE.

1) Touchdown 4:29, Gate 4:39, dis-embark, 4:50.
2) Go to lower MDE level.... 5:00.
3) Hit MDE by 5:05.
4) Max MDE wait - 20 minutes. 45 minute travel time. 6:10. You would be AT the Contemporary, already checked in, bags coming from MDE.

HOWEVER - you will be on MDE during peak Orlando traffic (around 5:00). Hence? Best guess 6:10 physical arrival. WORST guess 6:40 arrival.

Were it my wife and I? We would move that Ressie to 7:00 PM, minimum :(.

I thought that I had read that you can always reschedule the meal on the same day as your reservation to avoid the fee and then cancel it outside of the 24 hours. Just a thought if things get too tight time wise.
Yes, I have successfully moved a reservation we were not able to keep at the last minute (I was alone with a tired kid who was on the verge of a meltdown) to a different day (I just picked a random day far enough in the future that there was availability). Then I went back and cancelled that reservation.

Edit: I don't know if I just got lucky or if this always works. I was prepared to pay the $20 no show fee if it didn't work, but in my case it did.

Thanks for the replies! We are arriving on a Sunday so I'm guessing rush hour traffic will not be a problem. I think I'll keep it for now and roll the dice! I have been checking for a later time but so far 9:05 is the earliest other than our current time so hopefully we make it!! :)

I would reserve DME, then if you find you're running late bot not too late), take Lyft, Über, or a taxi.

The route that DME takes from MCO to WDW property usually doesn't have much traffic. Most traffic one would most likely see would be on the highway before exiting as the DME buses usually enter property by ESPN.

I have stayed at bay lake tower many times and the times have varied. We have been able to walk right on the bus and leave with in minutes and we have also had to wait for a new bus to arrive. For me I think the 2 hours is a little close but it could work out if everything is on time and you dont have a long wait for the DME

The DME wait time can vary wildly. I've had as little as a 10 minute wait from the time I checked in until the time the bus left, but I've also had a 40 minute wait, or longer. Sometimes, you get there and wait a few minutes and then you get on the bus and think "great, let's go", but then you sit there for a long time waiting for them to fill up the bus. Or you could get to the DME area at the airport and find that your queue is really backed up and you have to wait for a bus or two before you actually get on one.

Just wanted to throw that out there so you have some realistic expectations for DME. It's a great service and we use it whenever we stay on-site, but we don't make plans that can be cancelled on arrival date, due to these wild time fluctuations.

Have a great trip!

I am a gambler and I would take this bet. If your ADR was for anywhere else I would say skip it but you may have to run off the bus with carry-ons to restaurant. However I think you'll have enough time to run to your room first.

our flight for September was just pushed back. We were supposed to arrive at MCO at 3:05pm but now are arriving at 4:29pm. We have 6:35 ADR at Chef Mickey. We are staying at the Contemporary and have done online check in so shouldn't have to go to the front desk. I called Disney and the lady I talked to said to allow 75 minutes for ME and we should be fine. Anyone with experience getting to Contemporary on ME?? Think we will make it?
If your plane arrives on time, you will have 2 hours to get there, which would normally be plenty of time. The problem is if your plane is late. For that reason, I recommend trying to get a later ressie or a ressie on a different day. But if you can't do that, I recommend keeping the ressie & hoping for the best. If you end up being unable to make the ressie due to a late plane, call Disney (before your reservation time), and tell them you need to cancel due to your plane delay. They will likely grant an exception to the $10 per person no-show fee. Then keep trying to get a Chef Mickey ressie for a different day- a lot of cancellations happen the night before.

Considering that these days many airlines overstate arrival times and arrive 10-20 minutes early, I would go for it! Also, have the phone number handy so if it appears that the ME will be delayed you can call and explain that your flight was delayed. They may possibly be OK with you being a little late!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter