How long for our first time?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting Universal for the first time in the end of February. We are currently getting in late on Friday night and checking out Sunday then going to Disney for 6 nights. We are staying at RPH so we have the free express pass.
Do you think I’ve allotted enough time for a “true” Universal experience?
Our party is DH and kids 7 and 6. We like rides, but they are 48” and 47” so they can’t do some of the big rides. DS is a big superhero fan and we plan to meet them and get autographs as much as possible. I’m a big HP fan and really want to check out WWOHP.
Should we add on a night at RPH and shorten our Disney trip? (We’ve been a few times.)
Any input or advice is welcome!
Thanks!

We will be visiting Universal for the first time in the end of February. We are currently getting in late on Friday night and checking out Sunday then going to Disney for 6 nights. We are staying at RPH so we have the free express pass.
Do you think I’ve allotted enough time for a “true” Universal experience?
Our party is DH and kids 7 and 6. We like rides, but they are 48” and 47” so they can’t do some of the big rides. DS is a big superhero fan and we plan to meet them and get autographs as much as possible. I’m a big HP fan and really want to check out WWOHP.
Should we add on a night at RPH and shorten our Disney trip? (We’ve been a few times.)
Any input or advice is welcome!
Thanks!

Personally, I would - unless you plan to spend your check out day at the parks and then go to your Disney hotel in the evening. Basically, I would try to aim for a minimum of two park days. Don't forget you will need to purchase "park-to-park" (2-park) tickets if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express - assuming you are not intending to visit Volcano Bay.

Last edited:
I agree with pp that at least two days is good. We enjoy universal and found two days can be good and see and do everything. Personally we stay on-site for a week and go to the parks at least 4-5 days through the week. Enjoy it!

3 Days would be my ideal. Barring that, at least 2 full days, which you don’t appear to have. If I’m reading it right, you’re only going 1 day? I don’t know when you arrive/ plan to leave. Maybe you have almost full days Friday and Sunday too. Can you clarify?

2 days is enough if you're not doing Volcano Bay. If you can dedicate all day Saturday and then all day Sunday after you check out RPH, you'll experience pretty much everything you can with your children's height restrictions.

Have to point out that travel agents keep increasing their number of recommended days---like saying 4-5 days is needed at Universal---when it's clearly just a ploy to get you to spend more and not honest advice.

I agree that 2 days is a good amount, especially with having the Express Passes. So as long as you are planning to spend sunday int he parks and go to your Disney hotel int heevening that should be good. If you are planning to do Volcano Bay I woudl add on at least one more day though. I've always gone for 3 days before but the third day is always just hitting up the stuff I want to do one more time before I leave and is usually more of a half day. 2 days can allow you to hit everything easily and at a calm pace. The express passes will help too to get through stufff quicker.
As mentioned though you will need park to park tickets to ride the Hogwarts Express. And I'm not sure where the express line for the Harry Potter rides goes through, but if you are big fans of the series you will want to go through the normal queue for each at least once to experience it all as they are very detailed adn give a nice tour of Hogwarts and Gringotts. Luckily with going in February crowds shouldn't be too bad for these lines, but woudl still recommed trying to get to them early.

I agree with the others 2 full days will let you most of what you want...3 days would be better

More days allows you do enjoy the pool, citywalk, restaurants etc....

I just did 9 nights recently - and still did not get to everything I wanted to do.

Another advantage of more days is that usually reduces the cost of the hotel, they have larger discounts for more nights so that is something to price out - 2,3 and 5 nights..etc...

One other thing - February is February vacation for lots of states - so on a weekend it could be busy - but you have the EP so you should be covered.

2 days is enough if you're not doing Volcano Bay. If you can dedicate all day Saturday and then all day Sunday after you check out RPH, you'll experience pretty much everything you can with your children's height restrictions.

Have to point out that travel agents keep increasing their number of recommended days---like saying 4-5 days is needed at Universal---when it's clearly just a ploy to get you to spend more and not honest advice.

I would disagree........and I`m not a travel agent with no ploy to encourage folks to spend more money.

Now with everything Potter that is there, it`s hard to fit in everything in 2 days.......10 years ago you could do it easily.....

There are so many parts to the parks now, you can easily fill 4 or 5 days........2 days wouldn't skim the surface....you can of course do the basic highlights, but that's not doing the parks........

YMMV of course........but that would be my honest advice to anyone considering the length of time to stay at Universal Orlando, especially for a first time visitor.

Thanks all! The original plan was to arrive late Friday night and basically sleep, then get up early and be in the park all day Saturday. Then at checkout Sunday, I was going to ask the front desk to hold our luggage and go back to the parks (I just assumed they would do this, and I’m hoping I’m right). Then whenever we were tired come back and hop over to our Disney hotel.

I’m considering adding on Sunday night at RPH so we could have all day Sunday to explore.

So much to decide! Thanks for all the input!

Thanks all! The original plan was to arrive late Friday night and basically sleep, then get up early and be in the park all day Saturday. Then at checkout Sunday, I was going to ask the front desk to hold our luggage and go back to the parks (I just assumed they would do this, and I’m hoping I’m right). Then whenever we were tired come back and hop over to our Disney hotel.

I’m considering adding on Sunday night at RPH so we could have all day Sunday to explore.

So much to decide! Thanks for all the input!

I suggest you add another night and do two full park days

Your kids are at the age where they would enjoy the parades, street entertainment, shows, rides and interacting with the characters

Why rush through the parks and cut their time at a new park

and more enjoyable to be able to take the time to do sit down eateries besides just doing the rides

Besides the parks entertainment, your family could do bowling at Cabana Bay, a movie or round of miniature golf at City Walk, pool time or game times at the pool or movie night around the pool.....

One day at UO would be rushing and still miss on what that park has to offer guests

arrive on Friday and explore your hotel, and later that night sleep

Hit the parks one hour early Saturday and explore city walk
When the parks close

The Studios will have Mardi Gras that weekend

The parade is a fun thing to take in

Catch as many beads as you can

Try some of the foods made just for this event and if you like the musical
groups performing preforming that night, spend that hour watching it

Or hop over to IOA and end your evening there until the park closes Saturday night

Sunday night hotel rates are cheaper than the Friday and Saturday rates

When you check out of the hotel, have luggage services hold your belongings
You can leave them with them until midnight at no charge

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter