How Long to Wait Before Cancelling?

The dream is postponed 😢
We took the plunge and contacted Virgin and took up their offer of an open ticket until September 2022 - I know how some of you feel about that and can hear the sharp intake of breath from here! We now need to pray that prices do not increase ridiculously. The Disney balance was due at the end of the month and we just couldn’t stand another few weeks of wondering. Whatever the outcome on travel this summer and whether WDW reopens, it would not be the holiday we had planned. After talking to Virgin DH then spent the morning cancelling airport hotels (premier inn was straightforward) and airport parking (which would only issue a voucher). Final email was to Disney. Like so many others, we felt we had the perfect holiday: flights, accommodation, dining plan, anniversary meal...
We hope to try again in 2022 and are looking at DLP for August 2021. Planning begins tonight 😁
Best wishes to the rest of you hoping to hang on to your dreams.
Aww I'm really sorry you cancelled but you have to do what's best for you. I might tempt my other half into a DLP trip next year as he's never been haha. Enjoy the planning 🤩

Aww I'm really sorry you cancelled but you have to do what's best for you. I might tempt my other half into a DLP trip next year as he's never been haha. Enjoy the planning 🤩
We feel happier now we’ve taken the plunge and are already watching vlogs for DLP 😁
Wishing you so much luck with your wedding plans.

Update - we are in a tougher position than I thought was possible. I spoke to virgin Atlantic earlier today and asked about temperature checks and what would happen if we had a high temperature at the airport in terms of a refund. They have said if we are above 100.4 then we would be declined boarding (obviously) and that we would lose our flights. I asked about rebooking if this happened and they have told me that unfortunately it would be an automatic cancel, no refund or possibility of booking again at a later date.
I have also emailed Disney about this as someone I know had been told this by Disney that if you do not turn up because you've been unable to board a plane, your hotel will be cancelled (still waiting on a response from them though).
I'm hoping this isn't the case and it's just a basic error in relay of message from a member of staff as I haven't seen anything official released by either companies yet.
If though it turns out that this is correct then no way will we be taking the chance that over £10k will be lost 😥

That is an awful situation to be in. Have you looked at your travel insurance or contacted the insurance company?
The alternative is what we have just done and take the ticket extension though that has to be your choice. I am not advising it and others may advise against it. I’m happier now we have done it but as you said earlier, you have to do what it right for you.
Sending you a little Disney magic in the hope that everything turns out as you wish.

Tinker bell Spanish Buzz is right.
Virgin are not required to refund you or give a voucher if you are not well enough to fly. This is standard procedure and nothing to do with Covid1, although the temperature check clearly is new. They have always been able to refuse travel if they deem you not fit to travel.
I‘m afraid that I think the Disney position you have heard may be for US bookings. They I believe have a free cancellation policy which is why people change to new offers at will.

So it would be a case of travel insurance so does yours cover Covid19? I think you should call them to see where you stand. They may say you are covered medically if you go ahead with planned booked trip. They may even say if you postpone they will allow the cover to protect the postponed date, likely only if it’s the same booking moved with Disney as opposed to cancel and re-book.

Good luck

That is an awful situation to be in. Have you looked at your travel insurance or contacted the insurance company?
The alternative is what we have just done and take the ticket extension though that has to be your choice. I am not advising it and others may advise against it. I’m happier now we have done it but as you said earlier, you have to do what it right for you.
Sending you a little Disney magic in the hope that everything turns out as you wish.
I'm definitely thinking this is a more than likely option right now, thank you x

Tinker bell Spanish Buzz is right.
Virgin are not required to refund you or give a voucher if you are not well enough to fly. This is standard procedure and nothing to do with Covid1, although the temperature check clearly is new. They have always been able to refuse travel if they deem you not fit to travel.
I‘m afraid that I think the Disney position you have heard may be for US bookings. They I believe have a free cancellation policy which is why people change to new offers at will.

So it would be a case of travel insurance so does yours cover Covid19? I think you should call them to see where you stand. They may say you are covered medically if you go ahead with planned booked trip. They may even say if you postpone they will allow the cover to protect the postponed date, likely only if it’s the same booking moved with Disney as opposed to cancel and re-book.

Good luck
I definitely will contact them, thank you ☺️

Hi guys, I’ve really wanted to discuss this with someone other than DH. We have a trip booked for Dec 7th for 10 nights. The balance is due September 14th and we’ve been too-ing and fro-ing about what to do since April.

Originally we said let’s wait and see what happens and by mid August make a decision whether to cancel. But now that Disney won’t be submitting their proposal to the OC Economic Task Force until next week it’s making me think that the parks won’t be opening until Jul maybe even August (in time for Halloween). Coupled with the fact that Disneyland have put info on their website re resort operation procedures and reservations starting from Jul 1st.

My thoughts are that the parks won’t open til Jul/Aug and will open with limited capacity, lines will be longer than usual for social distance markers and character meets may not happen along with parades and fireworks. Plus mandatory face masks and all the other safety procedures we’ve been reading about. I feel like it’ll prob be in place for at least 3 months and if that were to happen that takes us to after our balance due date. Which means we risk going away and not experiencing the holiday we thought we would. Masks are a slight issue for me but I would try and deal with it because I have to. But it’s the loss of characters and entertainment that makes me wonder if when we do get there it’ll feel like a waste. We do have a trip booked for Dec 2021 but I think for DH it’s more if we cancel now and then it shows Dec is fine will we regret it.

Now December 2020 might be fine and 75% back to normal, but I just don’t know what to do. If you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks

Hi guys, I’ve really wanted to discuss this with someone other than DH. We have a trip booked for Dec 7th for 10 nights. The balance is due September 14th and we’ve been too-ing and fro-ing about what to do since April.

Originally we said let’s wait and see what happens and by mid August make a decision whether to cancel. But now that Disney won’t be submitting their proposal to the OC Economic Task Force until next week it’s making me think that the parks won’t be opening until Jul maybe even August (in time for Halloween). Coupled with the fact that Disneyland have put info on their website re resort operation procedures and reservations starting from Jul 1st.

My thoughts are that the parks won’t open til Jul/Aug and will open with limited capacity, lines will be longer than usual for social distance markers and character meets may not happen along with parades and fireworks. Plus mandatory face masks and all the other safety procedures we’ve been reading about. I feel like it’ll prob be in place for at least 3 months and if that were to happen that takes us to after our balance due date. Which means we risk going away and not experiencing the holiday we thought we would. Masks are a slight issue for me but I would try and deal with it because I have to. But it’s the loss of characters and entertainment that makes me wonder if when we do get there it’ll feel like a waste. We do have a trip booked for Dec 2021 but I think for DH it’s more if we cancel now and then it shows Dec is fine will we regret it.

Now December 2020 might be fine and 75% back to normal, but I just don’t know what to do. If you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks
I know that it is incredibly hard to do nothing, but I think that you should ‘sit on your hands’ and do absolutely nothing (except of course make FPs😉) until perhaps 1 September. Things could change very rapidly. Good luck. I hope that everything works out for you.

I know that it is incredibly hard to do nothing, but I think that you should ‘sit on your hands’ and do absolutely nothing (except of course make FPs😉) until perhaps 1 September. Things could change very rapidly. Good luck. I hope that everything works out for you.

I agree on this. September is still far away and a lot could happen by then. Just because it looks like Disney is opening later than Universal, it doesn't mean they'll have the restrictions for longer. It all depends on how well they're containing the virus outbreak when they do open. I recon you'll know a lot more before you have to pay your balance :cutie:

Haha sitting on my hands is so hard to do, I’m incredibly impatient at the best of times :rotfl:

I’m hoping that Disney will work faster than most to get back to being fully operational. It is weird though how they didn’t submit a proposal but Universal did :scratchin

Thanks for your input :-)

I agree on this. September is still far away and a lot could happen by then. Just because it looks like Disney is opening later than Universal, it doesn't mean they'll have the restrictions for longer. It all depends on how well they're containing the virus outbreak when they do open. I recon you'll know a lot more before you have to pay your balance :cutie:

Thanks, I really hope so too. Was looking at another thread where someone said Disney might be waiting to see when Phase 2 is implemented and was just researching the different Phases and what is needed to progress

Thanks
I'm also having the same thoughts, we're booked for 14 nights at AKL starting 6 November with the final balance due in August. It's so hard not knowing what level the parks will be operating at, I could handle no character meets but No parades and night time shows would be a deal breaker for us. I need to hear Happily Ever After in the wild again and not just YouTube! Our rough plan at the moment is monitor what's happening day by day with the thought of pushing back to May 21 if we have to. I just don't think I could handle it if we move it and then in November everything is back to normal, especially because we were really looking forward to experiencing all the Christmas festivities.

It's certainly an emotional rollercoaster but hopefully just another week or so and we'll have a clearer picture 🤞

I'm also having the same thoughts, we're booked for 14 nights at AKL starting 6 November with the final balance due in August. It's so hard not knowing what level the parks will be operating at, I could handle no character meets but No parades and night time shows would be a deal breaker for us. I need to hear Happily Ever After in the wild again and not just YouTube! Our rough plan at the moment is monitor what's happening day by day with the thought of pushing back to May 21 if we have to. I just don't think I could handle it if we move it and then in November everything is back to normal, especially because we were really looking forward to experiencing all the Christmas festivities.

It's certainly an emotional rollercoaster but hopefully just another week or so and we'll have a clearer picture 🤞

This is exactly the situation we’re feeling right now. I welcome limited capacity and social distancing as I’ve been social distancing for years now lol. But no HEA or Fantasmic or FoF would kill me and make me wonder if the amount we paid was worth it. We’re also staying at AKL and whilst we think we got a pretty good deal it’s still a lot of money to be spending on 10 nights.

Like you say hopefully in the next week or two we’ll have a little bit more info to go on. I need to watch the Disney Springs videos to see how the reopening went. Been keeping an eye on Shanghai reopening vlogs too and what I’ve seen so far looks pretty good but WDW I feel won’t be as organised as them

My only worry of waiting for final payment is availablity and prices rocketing to rebook it in May.
Maybe look at it from a different angle. Weigh up the pros and cons of this year against May both Disney and current life situation points. See what you head/heart feels more drawn to?

Well I made the jump this weekend. Canceled everything for November and jumped ship to May21. I feel loads better not having to worry about it for a while now. Fingers crossed we see some normality in 2021. 🤞

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts