How much did you visit BEFORE your DVC purchase?

We bought as empty nesters. We found once the kids were off the 'plate' we were visiting WDW 2 to 3 times annually. It was so much fun with just us. Frankly, if the kids and College were still on the 'plate' we couldn't have justified the cost.

We are the age of empty nesters but we have small kids. I grew up going to WDW (first visit in 1976!) and DLR. Even after I was in college and beyond, we'd still vacation in the Orlando area every other year or so. Since 2013 we have been A LOT, and realized that our sweet spot is even more than once a year, probably every 8 months. Or so we think. We went 3x in 2018, are going 3x in 2019, and will go 2x in 2020 (DLR one trip, WDW another trip). We will see...

I stayed twice as an adult (one time per year) before buying into DVC a few years ago. My first visit was at All-Star Music and I vowed never to stay value again.

We stayed at All Star Music TWICE and were pretty pleased with the value we were getting. This is our first WDW visit after my spouse was diagnosed as celiac, and our current experience is that any stays longer than a weekend we should look at a room with a good kitchenette or a full kitchen.

My husband had been one time long before we were married, but I had never been before. We bought DVC on our first trip in 1997. We paid $50 a point for our 175 OKW direct points. We did not get passes included with our purchase since they had discontinued that a few months before. We were staying at the Polynesian in Moorea.

Zero. I was planning our first trip to WDW when we went on an Aulani DVC tour. We came home, did some research, and bought 3 onsite resales.

We're loving our DVC contracts! WDW lived up to rave reviews from our friends and family. We had a magical first stay and have our next visit booked for Marathon Week. The timing of our resale purchases turned out to be fortuitous. We got decent deals (for 2018) before the 1/19/19 restrictions came into place, and added direct CCV points during our first visit for the AP discount.

We knew visiting Disney parks wasn't a "phase" that we'd outgrow once the kids were old enough to be taken on adventure/cultural vacations. DH and I are a Disney-tested couple with a long history of attendance at DLR, Tokyo DL and HKDL - the kids are lucky they get to tag along. If you're purchasing with 100% disposable funds, are okay with your buy-in cost being a sunk cost (as per timeshare industry standards), and know you'll enjoy WDW vacations with and without kids in tow, DVC could be a good option. Good luck with your decision!

We first took the kids in 2003 (they were 4, 4 and 6). We went again in 2005. Bought, and used for 1st time, our DVC in 2006. We planned to go once a year when we bought, then it became once every 8 months...by 2011 we were going twice a year and 2012 started to add on more points (added on many small contracts going from 200 to 650 points and recently sold some to be at 450 now). Been 3 and 4 times in a year too. And our SIL also owns and all our kids (hers and mine...6 of them) are 20-somethings now and they all still enjoy going. But us adults also enjoy going sans kids too. In 2013 we went for first time sans kids (they were in HS then) and did our first F&W. We have been to every F&W since and a few F&G festivals too. It was around then that we really started doing a lot of trips (hence the need for the 650 points). We go in a month with the in laws (their 3 20-something kids and 2 significant others as well as MIL and FIL) for 9 nights. Wish my kids could join but my 2 DDs have college and work and DS has new job. DS was going to come. He is anxious to get back (hasn't been since he was 18, he is 22 now and is wanting to have drinks at Epcot and DS).

We did sell some. DH and I have soured on all the things Disney and DVC have been doing. Rising prices yet cutting what you get for those rising prices basically sums it up. Plus dealing with all the crowds ALL the time. Plus all the negative DVC changes (restrictions and point chart changes and dues hikes and no BLT member access to TOTWL on July 4th and NYE....). We decided to stop buying the APs (which we had been doing since like 2011). And just think about going once a year again. Been just using points at HHI more. We do want to keep what we have (I'd sell another 50ish but DH wants to keep them all) because in a few years our kids will start marrying and then having kids and we'll begin vacationing a new generation at Disney.

So basically, whatever stage you are in your life you will be able to use DVC. When my kids (and SIL's) were becoming teens it was so nice because we could let them go off so we had adult time having drinks while the teens could stay in the parks or go back to the room, go to DS or water park and they could even do their own food options and it was a safe fun way to give them some freedom. SIL's kids have been a few times since turning 21 and they enjoy walking world showcase or going to DS and getting drinks (on parent's dime too...all they needs is to touch the MB). They can stay out late and us old fogies can hit the hay at 10pm. We can head out to do rides at 10am while they are still sleeping. It waxes and wanes but you will always find use of DVC points (we rented some out this year and we take friends and family too).

Last edited:
We started going to WDW regularly in 2012 when we got addicted to runDisney. This was pre-kids, and now that we have kids we love going with them too. When we bought in 2017, DS was almost 2 and I think we were on our 9th WDW trip. DLR visits were sprinkled in there more times than I can remember since we can drive there. If we knew about DVC before 2017, we likely would have bought earlier, but despite paying higher prices due to buying more recently, I'm still loving our DVC. We've treated friends/family, we typically stay in 1BRs now (2BRs when the kids are older), and plan to occasionally splurge on a stay like our upcoming BWV GV stay this December with extended family. DVC allows us to do all these things for much less than if we were to pay cash. We weren't interested in the lowest possible room cost; if so, we would have continued staying off-property or at All Star resorts. We purchased DVC to upgrade our on-property vacation experience and it's definitely done that for us!

We booked via Disney a stay with no knowledge of DVC whatsoever in 2014, did the tour of VGF Villas that were for sale but didn't know enough to buy because we wanted VGC and there wasn't a wait list at that time or she didn't have any. Rented a VGF 2 bedroom for the next trip the same time 2015 AND Aulani for Spring Break 2016. Got totally hooked on the VGF trip and started learning all I could but by the time I was ready to pull the trigger, VGF was sold out and we changed to Aulani. We ended up buying before our rental trips and adding onto out Aulani trip with out own points.
Sine then we have stayed at nearly all the resorts, added 2 home resorts and are totally hooked. Renting is a great entry point!

We purchased this year during our 5th trip. We have considered and rented DVC for the past 7 years and finally pulled the trigger.

I first visited Disney in 1972 and have been back at least 50 times since then. Just got our first contract last month, I guess I am a slow learner.

I’ve visited Disney maybe 20 - 30 times before buying DVC. I wish I would have purchased Animal Kingdom when it was selling. I just wasn’t in the position financially to do so.

I've stayed at WDW maybe 5 or 6 times at this point. MY most recent trip was at a DVC resort (Boulder Ridge). That visit is what got the wheels turning, and the tour even more so. After that trip, I really felt like I'd be back tracking, or having less of an experience by not staying DVC. I don't mean that the regular hotel rooms aren't beautiful, sometimes newer, but something about the room and the feeling we felt staying DVC was something I've never experienced before.

We’ve done about 15 or so trips, adults only, with young kids/babies, family group trips, and slight older kids trips. We finally bought because we realized, we want bigger rooms. Once the kids are grown and out of the house, I expect to be able to go even more often...

DH and I took two trips before our kids were born (offsite and POFQ), and we finally returned with our 3 DD (9, 8 and 4) in a 2 bed CCV in Jan 2018. We loved it. Started thinking periodically about DVC, but decided it wasn't practical since we are in AZ and have a cast member who can get us a 40% room discount. DH & I started looking at resale, and flew out to WDW, stayed at the BC CL and took the tour. Left the tour with some pixie dust about DVC generally but not RIV. Came home, started pricing a Aulani trip by renting points / cast member discount - still $$$$. Started looking at resales, jumped on a loaded SSR contract to get to Aulani in fall 2020 and back to WDW for years to come. Fingers crossed I make it past ROFR!

When I had four and a half trips planned in one year I decided it was time! Well really I wanted to do it sooner but couldn’t afford to buy outright until now and didn’t want to finance. I can see with your husband’s needs why it would make sense for you. I have friends that have been owners since beach club opened and they go every other year and financially ownership still made sense. I think as long as you go every year or two it could be worth it. You could push it to every 3rd year with banking and borrowing points but that could get complicated.

And as far as the parks you’ll find a lot of people on here don’t see WDW as for kids only. So this group certainly won’t judge you for joining dvc with older children. I’ve gone solo and with foster children and I spend just as much time at Magic Kingdom in both scenarios. Some people don’t realize all the activities available for adults at WDW. It is entirely possible to take a weekend trip and not go to the parks once and still have a great time. The way DVC works is a bit complicated so make sure you read a lot about it and make sure you understand what your buying into, but I say go for it if it’s something that appeals to you!

Growing up in California, I only went to Disneyland, and wasn't sure if I'd make it out to WDW more than once or twice in my lifetime, so I wasn't interested in DVC.

I ended up buying during my first WDW vacation in 2015. After I got married, my wife and her family are from Ireland so one year we met her family in Orlando to do the parks. We stayed at a hotel close to Universal, but spent most of our time at Disney. That was a one-way, 40 minute nightmare because the hotel's free transportation stopped at two other resorts before going to the parks. After doing the DVC tour, we signed up immediately with Aulani as our home because it's way easier to get from Sacramento to Honolulu than it is Sacramento to Orlando. And taking my wife to Aulani once a year is never a bad thing!

During our second trip to WDW in 2018 we added on with some points at Copper Creek.

Our next WDW trip is set for May 2020. Already booked a week at Copper Creek. Waiting for the 7 month window to book our second week. We love the Boardwalk, but the tranquility of Old Key West is hard to beat!!

Well, I grew up in California, so DIsneyland was always a big part of my life. After moving to Texas, I was thrilled to be able to go to Disney world with my mother, who was also a big Disney fan. We stayed at the Contemporary in the tower. I was going to be a one time trip. Well, we went again the following year. OKW had been open about 6 months. We purchased right away after a tour, and made two trips per year until Mom passed in 2011. I have still averaged two trips per year since, but on two occasions it has been one big trip per year with my close friends, who I consider family. One group was 16 people, and I'm planning an 11 person group for 2021. WIth two more already booked trips before then. One with 2 friends, and one maybe a solo trip.

We went once,. Took our daughter and granddaughter in April 2017. A co worker went right after and when he got back he was talking about DVC at Poly. I was interested and started to research it. We bought a 150 point resale contract in June of 17 and then immediately a 25 point direct contract. Since we bought we have been twice a year, this year we wil have 3 trips. We added on several more contracts.

1st vist in 1978
2nd visit in 1980

Started going as an adult in 1993 and racked up 40+ visits between 1992 and 2018.

became a member in 2018.

Took the tour in 1996 @ $65 a point. Took the tour in 2009 @ $110 a point. Bought in 2018 @ $175 a point. Everyone always says they wish they bought sooner. Same for us. just oddly enough, we couldn't afford it back when it was cheaper. But our financial life became better as we aged, but the price was much more.

My wife and I went most of our childhood (separately with our own families) from early 1990s to 2010. We hadn't been back since 2010 and as soon as our first child turned 2, in 2018, we purchased DVC before we had even gone back. We didn't avoid WDW, we just decided to wait to go back until after we had kids and we knew we wanted to go often. Just had our first trip back at WDW and couldn't be happier with the decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts