How much do waiters/waitresses at WDW make?

Id assume there are in upscale touristy area's.

But to your point location is a big factor..and then of course the person themselves.
I personally know of several people with masters degrees that work as bartenders making more than six figures.
People coming out of college with degrees that don't have a ton of value and huge debt may find that waiting tables is a great option.
Once you get used to that cash coming in and the flexibility that can come with it can be hard to walk away and get a "real" job.

It doesn’t even really need to be touristy. My friend works in “nowheresville” MA and makes a ton of money waitressing. It’s because of the restaurant she works at and the clientele. It’s basically a local landmark and has regulars. It’s not an upscale place either.

I think she regrets her advanced degree and just keeps her high stress regular job because she paid for that degree.

Some degrees and fields are worth it, but there’s tons of jobs that require a degree that you’d be better off a bartender or something similar. Sometimes “real jobs” are overrated. Her husband is a welder and that was worth his time. It just depends.

It doesn’t even really need to be touristy. My friend works in “nowheresville” MA and makes a ton of money waitressing. It’s because of the restaurant she works at and the clientele. It’s basically a local landmark and has regulars. It’s not an upscale place either.

I think she regrets her advanced degree and just keeps her high stress regular job because she paid for that degree.

Some degrees and fields are worth it, but there’s tons of jobs that require a degree that you’d be better off a bartender or something similar. Sometimes “real jobs” are overrated. Her husband is a welder and that was worth his time. It just depends.
Agreed.

The trades is really a great option more people should consider.

That's a pretty big generalization that well educated people don't want to be servers.
Eh, think about the big picture: Even if a server makes good money, it's a job -- not a professional career. Serving gives you money in your pocket today, but you can't work for tips on sick days/no paid time off, no retirement, and little opportunity to "move up" in the field. And it is a job that's hard on the body as you grow older. I'm not putting down good, honest work, but waiting tables is a young person's job.

For the record, I waited tables in college, and I did okay, but I'm glad not to be doing it still.

Agree. Skilled trades are profitable -- if you're good. I mean, we all know that when your car, your plumbing, your roof, or whatever is broken, you'll pay whatever it costs.
Right, with time and experience and more training in such field, you can make a good living at it.

Eh, think about the big picture: Even if a server makes good money, it's a job -- not a professional career. Serving gives you money in your pocket today, but you can't work for tips on sick days/no paid time off, no retirement, and little opportunity to "move up" in the field. And it is a job that's hard on the body as you grow older. I'm not putting down good, honest work, but waiting tables is a young person's job.

For the record, I waited tables in college, and I did okay, but I'm glad not to be doing it still.
Yes, you can make decent money, I waitressed in college as well. However, no real raises, no 401k, little time off. My husband has worked for the same company for 30 years, makes way more than when he started, his company contributes to his retirement, he has unlimited sick/vacation days, and he works from home.

What an elitist thing to say. Not everyone's calling is to climb the corporate ladder.

Right, with time and experience and more training in such field, you can make a good living at it.
Yes, I'm pretty sure my brother makes more money than I do -- even though I have more education. He works hard, paid his dues, and is a top provider in his trade.
However, no real raises, no 401k, little time off.
Yes, exactly the type of thing to which I was referring.
What an elitist thing to say. Not everyone's calling is to climb the corporate ladder.
No, it's a realistic thing to say. Waiting tables may give you a good paycheck (bartending will get you a better one), but -- as the above poster agreed -- it's not a job that'll give you benefits, retirement, etc.

How much do they make or how much the government think they make? is two different amounts. I will do the same. They love cash tips.

Maybe a six figure salary is being generous but I would still say that most of them still make out really well for the job, But you also have to consider the physical and mental stress of the job. and that is great! We have only done one character meal in the past six or seven years because of the pricing now and then with the added tip it is just over the top. But the one we did last year was worth every penny when we got to ride Soarin back to back right after breakfast with no fast pass. Is the tip at the Garden Grill and other places shared with the characters that work the meal?
Tips aren't shared with characters. no need. That's a different job with different cities and different pay.

How much do they make or how much the government think they make? is two different amounts. I will do the same. They love cash tips.
Doesn't matter. If a server or anyone in any field doesn't support me or contribute to my support/expenses, how much they earn is none of my business.

Tips aren't shared with characters. no need. That's a different job with different cities and different pay.
Ya, I am sure very few make the six figures, but they can make out good. Ok, I wondered about the tips being shared with the characters.

Yes, I do suppose if they get a lot of cash tips they could get out of paying taxes on some of that income, therefore that could actually make their income even more. I get that. I imagine though that cash tips are not as common as in the past but I am sure they really do appreciate getting them.

In my area all the "tradesman" are older and not being replaced. I encourage anyone I know that is on the fence about college to consider the trade training at the local community college. The plumbers, electricians, carpenters, masons are able to name their price right now and probably for the forseable future.

" As a server I make stupid money. Im not going to beat around the bush. I work 25 hours a week and make about 50k. Its fantastic for college students and so on. Also, I don't work in a park. If you work as a server full time in Magic Kingdom, you are making between 80k and 100k a year. " << This thread was 4 years ago.

Although, the OP does mention it's difficult to get a serving job there, as it's very competitive & you have to be put on a waitlist which can last years.

With Chef Mickeys I guess the servers are gonna make about half what they normally did because of the cut in price. Did Disney discount the breakfast at Topolinos with you not being able to take pics and such with the characters? If so, they will take a hit there as well.

" As a server I make stupid money. Im not going to beat around the bush. I work 25 hours a week and make about 50k. Its fantastic for college students and so on. Also, I don't work in a park. If you work as a server full time in Magic Kingdom, you are making between 80k and 100k a year. " << This thread was 4 years ago.

Although, the OP does mention it's difficult to get a serving job there, as it's very competitive & you have to be put on a waitlist which can last years.
Well you should have to wait your turn, pay your dues before being able to be at the really great locations for tips. But ya, but the above does not surprise me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter