How OFTEN do you buy "One Time Use" (OTU) points?

How OFTEN do you buy "One Time Use" (OTU) points?

• I've never used OTU points.

Votes: 67 45.0%
  • I've used OTU points once or twice but without any trend forming.

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • I use OTU points every 3rd or 4th year.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I use OTU points every other year, give or take.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I use OTU points almost every year.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • I use OTU points EVERY YEAR. Yep, I need those points!

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • I use OTU points across multiple memberships on a frequent basis.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

bwvBound

DVC SSR & other timeshare
So how often do we find ourselves using the cash-based "One Time Use" points? Please use the poll above and comment if you wish. Thx!

I'm extremely glad for the option of OTU points and take advantage every 3rd year, give or take. I've used 2 OTU points for my 2017 UY allowing me to add an extra night in the new Cabins! :)

My other point-system timeshares does similarly with a wide range of cash-based reservation options. In that system, I book ~5 full reservations each year on cash. DVC's OTU method is a far more expensive reservation tool and I doubt I'll ever use OTU on a such a frequent basis.

I always book at the 11 month mark so they are not an option for me. I would use them if I could to cut back on borrowing points!

I always book at the 11 month mark so they are not an option for me. I would use them if I could to cut back on borrowing points!
?
I didn't know you cannot buy those points st 11 months. What if 24 pats was an extra night?
So at 7 months and less is only time one can buy one use points?

I will be doing this for the 1st time myself. I booked WLV at 11 months but need more points for the switch to BLT at 7 maths. I am so cash poor wanted to do it 2x but didn't realize only once a year. Aulani really stripped my points but worth it:-)
Kerri

I haven't used one time UP but did consider it for our upcoming trip when we switched to PVB and i needed to borrow 22 points from 2019. We aren't planning to go back until 2020, so I really didn't need keep my 2019 points and figured i would save a little money.

We have used OTP once. It was great having that option. But I think if I needed it regularly every two or three years, I would definitely think about adding on points.

We've owned for almost 20 years and I've used the OTU points just once.

?
I didn't know you cannot buy those points st 11 months. What if 24 pats was an extra night?

I will be doing this for the 1st time myself. I booked WLV at 11 months but need more points for the switch to BLT at 7 maths. I am so cash poor wanted to do it 2x but didn't realize only once a year. Aulani really stripped my points but worth it:-)
Kerri
Right -- OTUP are only offered at the 7 month window as they do not have "home resort" advantage.

I believe you may use up to 24 OTUP per year, per membership ... but this is not restricted to "one time per year." As such, if needed one could buy 5 OTUP for one reservation, then 9 for a second reservation, etc., up to 24 per year. (Not sure that helps much, of course, as it implies that the second reservation is likely on borrowed points? Or, at best, recycled points released from a prior reservation?)

We bought a small 40 point resale contract quite a few years ago. We tend to go every other year. The OTU points helped us fill out our current trip when we decided to blow 3 years of points on a 1 bedroom at AKV because we know our vacation dollars in about 2 years will be going to a niece's wedding (she lives in Scotland). I fear this may ruin us to go back to Studios though!

?

.... Aulani really stripped my points but worth it:-)
Kerri
This is going to be me, point poor if we get Aulani next year!

With dues now $6 to $7 per point, using one-time-use points across multiple memberships numbers means we can stay at least a week, with a cost of around $8-$9 per point, rather than hold the points and juggle them around every year.

We utilize our member points differently, though- bank and borrow into each contract, then rotate resorts every time we go. Occasionally we forgo our home court advantage and book at a resort like Aulani, where we can't justify owning.

Well, yeah, but OTUP have only been around for fewer than half that legacy ownership period. ;-)

LOL - in my defense, we didn't stay anywhere but the BWV for at least the first half of that period, so no need for the OTU points, anyway. :teeth:

Almost every year since buying resale in 2011. We've also had points transferred in a few times (but that was mainly so we could take others with us so bigger room or more rooms needed).

We obviously do not own enough points. We would like to buy more and eventually will. OTU points are usually to add an extra night we didn't originally plan, or book a more expensive room (poly instead of our usual bwv standard view) for a few nights.

Only used it one time. Two weeks ago for the hurricane. Added on three extra nights to make it before hurricane came. Needed 11 more

Early in our 2014 UY we used almost a year's worth of borrowed points (plus current points) on a very big family trip in a GV. So we've needed just a few OTU points here and there to get the accommodations we wanted the last few years.

I'm enjoying your stories .. thanks for adding them! Again, so glad this tool is available to us (all) when we need them ... for extra nights skirting storms, to host family gatherings in a GV (and to balance the visits trailing), adding a night, trying a different unit type, delaying the eventual (?) add-on, etc. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter