How OFTEN do you buy "One Time Use" (OTU) points?

How OFTEN do you buy "One Time Use" (OTU) points?

• I've never used OTU points.

Votes: 67 45.0%
  • I've used OTU points once or twice but without any trend forming.

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • I use OTU points every 3rd or 4th year.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I use OTU points every other year, give or take.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I use OTU points almost every year.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • I use OTU points EVERY YEAR. Yep, I need those points!

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • I use OTU points across multiple memberships on a frequent basis.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
I've never used them, but I'm in a position to book 11 months out. Never had a problem with getting vacation time, no one else plans their vacations as early as me. I also love BWV so I usually book home resort. I agree though it's a nice option to have if you wanted to cut back on borrowing.

i have used them everytime i have booked at 7th month i have never "needed" them but i always felt for 360 dollars to save 24 points for when i really need them is not a bad deal.
How interesting! Question regarding the implementation of your strategy: Must one's account "need" the OTUP before MS will allow them? That is, must the reservation one is booking at the 7 month window be literally short of available points in the current UY before one is allowed to purchase OTUP? If so, are you taking added steps (i.e. booking 'dummy' reservations) to reduce your point balance before booking the reservation with OTUP? Thx for sharing the tip! :)

Right -- OTUP are only offered at the 7 month window as they do not have "home resort" advantage.

I believe you may use up to 24 OTUP per year, per membership ... but this is not restricted to "one time per year." As such, if needed one could buy 5 OTUP for one reservation, then 9 for a second reservation, etc., up to 24 per year. (Not sure that helps much, of course, as it implies that the second reservation is likely on borrowed points? Or, at best, recycled points released from a prior reservation?)
Thanks you see I have the classic Dvc borrowing mode dilemma:-)
Next June we are bringing 3 of DD's friends for her sweet 16. I booked WLV but want to change to BLT lake view. I figured with he girls just easier (location)to go to park by themselves.
I have 50 more points available to borrow. BUT I will be buying an AP because of good deal. So now it b comes how many trips to squeeze in.

I will buy OTUP 24 to switch to BLT at 7 mths(hopefully).
This leaves me 48 pats still have to. Borrow 2 puts LOL.
Now I want to use those 48 points hopefully at OKW during Food and wine. Thought I could buy points 2x but I guess I will buy a cash night.
Now in April I can borrow again and squeeze a 3rd trip before AP expores end of June ;-)
Kerri

Thanks you see I have the classic Dvc borrowing mode dilemma:-)
Next June we are bringing 3 of DD's friends for her sweet 16. I booked WLV but want to change to BLT lake view. I figured with he girls just easier (location)to go to park by themselves.
I have 50 more points available to borrow. BUT I will be buying an AP because of good deal. So now it b comes how many trips to squeeze in.

I will buy OTUP 24 to switch to BLT at 7 mths(hopefully).
This leaves me 48 pats still have to. Borrow 2 puts LOL.
Now I want to use those 48 points hopefully at OKW during Food and wine. Thought I could buy points 2x but I guess I will buy a cash night.
Now in April I can borrow again and squeeze a 3rd trip before AP expores end of June ;-)
Kerri
LOL ... I'm exhausted just reading those plans! Good for you! :)

We haven't had to use them yet, but I am glad the option exists in case we do need them in the future.

I agree! :thumbsup2 It is nice to know if I ever need them, they are there. I have borrowed points, though. Alas, I never have enough points to bank them. :confused3

If I can' get a 1 bedroom Boardwalk Standard View next August, or decide to stop in Copper Creek, I'll be buying the full 24 as I prefer to keep as much 'in credit' as possible and not borrow.

How interesting! Question regarding the implementation of your strategy: Must one's account "need" the OTUP before MS will allow them? That is, must the reservation one is booking at the 7 month window be literally short of available points in the current UY before one is allowed to purchase OTUP? If so, are you taking added steps (i.e. booking 'dummy' reservations) to reduce your point balance before booking the reservation with OTUP? Thx for sharing the tip! :)

sorry for the delayed response but you dont need to be out of points to buy the extra points they just go in lue of your owned points so you can either bank them or use them on another reservation.

I bought one point yesterday. It was my first time since their inception. After reading dwight16, I might need to reassess how I use them.

I feel they are really worth it. When you think of how much they cost verse having to pay cash, it's really a good deal. I find myself using them every year.

I like that you don't have to borrow a few points from your next UY to complete a trip, that way if you have to cancel those points aren't stuck in that UY.

I've used them twice, both for 2 needed points. It was a nice feature, but at $15 a point, I really try and avoid them.

I've used them twice, both for 2 needed points. It was a nice feature, but at $15 a point, I really try and avoid them.
Ah, I hate to break it to you ... but OTUP are now $17/point as of this month.

We use OTU points to help maximize our AP year visits. Our next AP year is 2019 - 2020 and we are planning our visits to get the biggest bang for the buck and most days on-site using Banking, OTUP and Borrowing. Just bought 24 OTUP to support 2018 banking. My spreadsheet to keep track of this is a bit overwhelming at times. And even at $17/pt it is still a good option for us.

I like that you don't have to borrow a few points from your next UY to complete a trip, that way if you have to cancel those points aren't stuck in that UY.
Not following - if you cancel, the OTUP would also be stuck in that use year. Not seeing any difference except that you paid extra for the OTUP. :confused: :confused:

Not following - if you cancel, the OTUP would also be stuck in that use year. Not seeing any difference except that you paid extra for the OTUP. :confused: :confused:
But the borrowed points have "home resort advantage" and could be put to better advantage if they had remained in their original UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!