How OFTEN do you buy "One Time Use" (OTU) points?

How OFTEN do you buy "One Time Use" (OTU) points?

• I've never used OTU points.

Votes: 67 45.0%
  • I've used OTU points once or twice but without any trend forming.

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • I use OTU points every 3rd or 4th year.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I use OTU points every other year, give or take.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I use OTU points almost every year.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • I use OTU points EVERY YEAR. Yep, I need those points!

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • I use OTU points across multiple memberships on a frequent basis.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
But the borrowed points have "home resort advantage" and could be put to better advantage if they had remained in their original UY.
True, didn't think of that. :) Although, that advantage costs $17 per point. In most cases, that wouldn't be worth it to me. YMMV.

True, didn't think of that. :) Although, that advantage costs $17 per point. In most cases, that wouldn't be worth it to me. YMMV.
To me, it depends on the goals surfacing in one's 2yr - 5yr travel forecast. If the coming years are "soft" (w/out any specific plan) then borrow. However, if one has a big family gathering forming on the horizon ... then I'd rather conserve my natural points and follow a short-term plan buying OTUP.

So far I think only once. I did not want to borrow. I would do it again if I need to. Glad the option is there.

I've used five points once before we bought another contract.

What happens if you buy OTU points and then end up cancelling your trip? Are they forfeited or do they go back to your UY?

I've used five points once before we bought another contract.

What happens if you buy OTU points and then end up cancelling your trip? Are they forfeited or do they go back to your UY?
From what I understand, the OTUP would go back to your current UY. They cannot be banked or transferred out. Not sure if they "show up" online or if you must phone MS to use them.

We have owned since 2007 and had points transferred a couple of times from other owners. In the last couple of years we have used more points and found the need to buy OTUP twice. It is a nice option when you use more points than your annual allotment and don't want to add on.

Members since 2001. Using OTUP for the first time this January. First WDW trip w/o the kids. Going for our 24th wedding anniversary. We have APs and had airline credit so we wanted to squeeze another trip in but we didn't want to use "regular" points as our kids would not be happy with a shorter trip this summer.

Given our new "Companion Pass" from Southwest Airlines ... I might see myself dropping in at WDW more than expected through 2018. As our Oct 2017 points are already fully consumed, I might have to seriously consider borrowing, OTUP, rental/transfer points, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!