How often do you go back?

I am curious how often people who visit Aulani more than once, go back.

We went last Feb for the first time. I honestly thought this would be a one time trip. However, ever since we returned, I think about going back. DW and DD agree it was one of our best vacations ever, even though we spent most of our time just lounging on the beach. Maybe that is why we enjoyed it so much. Whatever the reason, I look forward to going back someday. Not sure when but hopefully not too long.

Anyone else find themselves in this state of mind after their first trip?

DW, myself, DS, and In-Laws went in fall of 2016 and that trip convinced my inlaws to buy DVC. Our next trip is in December 2018 and we plan to go back every other year going forward. In between Aulani trips will be DCL or WDW trips.

We were at Aulani for the first time in Oct 2015, and we are back this week. We generally take a Disney vacation every two years. In march when I asked DD's where they would like to go, Disney World or Aulani. They both chose Aulani. The first time we were here we were in a GV with both sets of grandparents and did a lot of exploring the island. This time we are in a two bedroom as it is just the 4 of us and we are spending most of our time at the resort and really enjoying it!!!! It all comes to an end Friday but it's been a great week. We have splurged on a couple days of Cabanas and the Luau this evening. Great time of year to be here , it is not busy at all and the weather seems to be great!! I really think we will be coming back more often than we think!!!! Especially as the kids get older....

I have yet to stay at the Aulani Resort, but was able to walk the grounds and it was truly amazing. Disney knocked it out of the park with this property. As for Hawaii...Oahu, Maui, Kauai, the Big Island I thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip for our honeymoon, but I was WRONG. After you experience the Aloha Spirit, the Music, the Culture, the food, you soon realize how special Hawaii is. My wife an I have been married 12 years and we've been back 6 times (every other year). Yes it can been expensive, but the instant release of all stress when you step off the airplane is worth it. If you have the opportunity to go regularly, do it. Our future vacation plans include 5 to 7 days at Aulani (Oahu) then 7 days in Maui (Ka'anapali / Lahaina area)....pure heaven. :worship:

We just got back from a week for our first trip. We felt it wasn't enough time... fell in love with Kualoa and the North Shore... so much we didn't get to do. Having said that... WOW. What a trip. Amazing.

We plan to go back in 2 years if we don't have a little one by then.

Glad I checked this thread. We are going in July 2018. First time. We go to DL and WDW yearly and an ABD every other year. This year DD asked for Aulani instead of an ABD. I was pretty apprehensive. None of us are real beach people....She found out she is part polynesian on an ancestory test so I think this gave her the idea! But I have found plenty for us to do the 10 days we are there so it will be a happy mix of resort/beach/island stuff etc. I hope I enjoy as much as you guys do! We ARE stopping at DL on the way down. We fly from EAst Coast so it is a long trip!

We've been there once a year - 3 times now. It's one of those just unwind and relax vacations... the whole family loves it! We usually rent a car and explore the island too.

Our plan is a "big Disney trip" every other year. Right now that looks like every 4th year at Aulani and WDW. We go to DL every year or so. We went to Aulani in June 2015 and loved it! Our plan is to return Thanksgiving 2019.

We own at Aulani and have been there every year for five years. Going back in 2018. We always go in mid may and stay for 10 days in a one bedroom ocean view. We had Been to Hawaii several times before aulani. So we never leave aulani . It’s our fav place.

Our family of four went for the first time in Oct 2013 and went back again this past summer. Love, love, love Aulani! We'd probably go more often if our kids (now teenagers) weren't so busy with sports. Thank goodness for airline miles and DVC points! We'd love to get there for Christmas sometime in the next few years.

Our family went at the grand opening and then again in nov. 2012 . But not since. What's holding me back is the flight from the east coast and the time zone change which I don't feel is worth it. I feel like I've been there, done that, it's a beach and a great hotel, but the travel issues is just not bringing me back. My DH wants to return very much, loved the island, wants to explore the other islands which we have never done. I just have no interest anymore. I think my kids are much older now and would be bored just sitting on the beach. The last time they were little and loved the younger activites but I can't see it with young adults and older teens. I also wasn't a fan of any of the food on site or on the island for a vegetarian like myself. So that was difficult a bit.

Our family went at the grand opening and then again in nov. 2012 . But not since. What's holding me back is the flight from the east coast and the time zone change which I don't feel is worth it. I feel like I've been there, done that, it's a beach and a great hotel, but the travel issues is just not bringing me back. My DH wants to return very much, loved the island, wants to explore the other islands which we have never done. I just have no interest anymore. I think my kids are much older now and would be bored just sitting on the beach. The last time they were little and loved the younger activites but I can't see it with young adults and older teens. I also wasn't a fan of any of the food on site or on the island for a vegetarian like myself. So that was difficult a bit.
Hmm, that's too bad because the other islands have more character if that makes sense. An active volcano, the majesty of Waimea Canyon and Haleakala, lavender farm, seeing Na Pali via helicopter, the cat sanctuary, Kalaupapa (you can ride a mule there and back - very interesting experience), the fern grotto, scuba/snorkeling with manta rays, and so much more. So maybe you've lost interested in Aulani, but to extend this disinterest to the entire state is cheating yourself, IMO. I have noticed some folks use Aulani and Hawaii interchangeably, but it's not accurate. Or sometimes people say they don't need to leave Aulani because they've been to Hawaii when they really have only been to Oahu and therefore have never experienced what the other 5 islands have to offer - or even realize that Molokai and Lanai are options though probably not the best options for children.

Sorry to ramble, and I know this is an Aulani board. I'm just very passionate about all the things Hawaii has to offer. Since your family wants to explore more of the state, I feel the need to encourage you to give Hawaii another try.

In terms of something being the time change being worth it, I understand that's relative. I traveled a few times a year from the east coast to Hawaii until I actually moved here and it was totally worth it each time. But I went to different islands and did island specific things - many of which are named above. I actually spent very little time at the beach, but I've never been a beach person.

Re: Food. I find the Kona side of Big Island, Kauai, and Maui are much better for vegetarians and vegans because the local culture is very health conscious. I took my sister to the BI and she didn't have any problems finding vegan restaurants to eat around Kona or veggie places on Maui.

Last edited:
I am curious how often people who visit Aulani more than once, go back.

We went last Feb for the first time. I honestly thought this would be a one time trip. However, ever since we returned, I think about going back. DW and DD agree it was one of our best vacations ever, even though we spent most of our time just lounging on the beach. Maybe that is why we enjoyed it so much. Whatever the reason, I look forward to going back someday. Not sure when but hopefully not too long.

Anyone else find themselves in this state of mind after their first trip?
I took my kids for Halloween last year and am planning to take them for Halloween again next year. I'm a single mom with 2, my son has special needs so I have to pay for someone else to join and help. If it weren't for that I would've been back this Halloween. Definitely a vacation that's worth it. I can actually enjoy it.

We went twice (2015 and 2016) and would like to go back again next year, though I'm a little concerned about some recent changes (like no more free Starlit Hui) and some reviews I've read about pool chairs being even more difficult to get as the resort gets more popular. Has anyone noticed that? Either way, we would go every year if we could!

First trip was for our daughter's HS graduation, the next summer DH and I went for our 20yr. anniversary. The service and the quiet of the beach at the resort is amazing!

Hmm, that's too bad because the other islands have more character if that makes sense. An active volcano, the majesty of Waimea Canyon and Haleakala, lavender farm, seeing Na Pali via helicopter, the cat sanctuary, Kalaupapa (you can ride a mule there and back - very interesting experience), the fern grotto, scuba/snorkeling with manta rays, and so much more. So maybe you've lost interested in Aulani, but to extend this disinterest to the entire state is cheating yourself, IMO. I have noticed some folks use Aulani and Hawaii interchangeably, but it's not accurate. Or sometimes people say they don't need to leave Aulani because they've been to Hawaii when they really have only been to Oahu and therefore have never experienced what the other 5 islands have to offer - or even realize that Molokai and Lanai are options though probably not the best options for children.

Sorry to ramble, and I know this is an Aulani board. I'm just very passionate about all the things Hawaii has to offer. Since your family wants to explore more of the state, I feel the need to encourage you to give Hawaii another try.

In terms of something being the time change being worth it, I understand that's relative. I traveled a few times a year from the east coast to Hawaii until I actually moved here and it was totally worth it each time. But I went to different islands and did island specific things - many of which are named above. I actually spent very little time at the beach, but I've never been a beach person.

Re: Food. I find the Kona side of Big Island, Kauai, and Maui are much better for vegetarians and vegans because the local culture is very health conscious. I took my sister to the BI and she didn't have any problems finding vegan restaurants to eat around Kona or veggie places on Maui.

What Midoria says here is so true and I think that the diversity of the different islands should be taken into consideration when thinking about how many times you go back or when you opt for a Hawaiian vacation.

Many people visit two or even three islands in one vacation.

I guess we all probably would go for a week to WDW and just go to Epcot every single day, LOL! I think the same approach is true for the Hawaiian Islands because they are all just as different as all the Disney parks with common elements uniting them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter