How running saved me from myself

Pixie Heart

Faith, trust and pixie dust!
Hello everyone,
My name is Brunna, I'm 33 and live in São Paulo, Brazil.

I started running in the end of January, beginning of February.

At that point I decided to run because I heard that Disney was organizing a Princess Magical Run in São Paulo - a 7k run to celebrate women's day in March. So this was my main reason to start training at that point, and I couldn't even imagine how important it would be in just a few weeks.

Yeah...after one or two weeks I started my training, my fiancée broke up our 5 year relationship.

If any of you reading this had your heart thorn apart, you know how the feeling. Devastated.

Well, but I overcame this. In part because of my running routine.

I cried a lot running. It was ridiculous...haha! I run in a park at my hometown, and people could see that...how embarrassing!

Well, after a month I or so I stopped thinking of him while I was running. I don't know how about you, but I think a lot while I'm running! It is a great therapy for me!

This was my turn point!

After the Princess Magical Run I finally realized that I could do whatever I wanted! I felt free and completed! And that's when the bug run really caught me!

After that I ran another two 5k races and even reached my first 10k training this week!

I have several goals for 2015, including a Half marathon for women called W21 in October.

But my main goal is the WDW marathon weekend when I'll be running 5k, 10k and the half! And this is my real priority right now, which makes me really happy and excited!

Well, I hope you guys follow my journal from now on...I'll try to keep it as updated as I can!

See ya real soon! :earsgirl:

Last edited:
Hey everyone (hope there is someone at least...hahaha).

I’m a little scared this week. I got this terrible flu and wasn’t able to go running for almost 2 weeks!

Why scared? Because I have a 5 mile race this weekend! My 4th race of the year (yay!). :woohoo:

This race is called “5 Miles of São Paulo” (or 8k).

Can you feel the challenge? Coz I sure can!

This is the longest race I registered since I started running. Ok, I already ran 10K before, and I was surprisingly ok with that. However, it was TRAINING. IN THE PARK. Not racing others...and you guys know: it is super difficult to slow down, even if you’re dying, lungs exploding, almost not breathing, during a street race! (Am I competitive? Not at all…) :hippie:

Well, I’ll try to be glad by finishing the run and not run to improve my timing (my fastest mile was 9:57 and my average pace is 7:17 per kilometer). Especially because most part of the course is a long rising street (any of my running pals can help me with that - What is the American “slang” for those “rising streets” along the running course?).

Anyway, you know what I mean…right? It never ends! NEVER!

Ok…maybe I’m whining a little too much.:offtopic:

After the race, I’ll check back with timing and hopefully a few pictures as well.

I probably can't help with much advise since I am so new to races, so I don't have that competitive race bug...yet. But I can feel your pain. I had the flu a few weeks ago and it side-lined me from running for at least 3 of my normal run days. I was surprised how well I did once I was back to feeling normal.
I like your idea about not trying for a PR, but instead just trying to finish it without exploding. Just get lots of sleep and hydrate hydrate hydrate the day before!!! Oh and my mom would tell you to stretch! haha

I'm pretty new to races as well, @roxymama! And any advice is more than welcome :P

It is really nice to hear how you recovered well from your flu and got back in your running feet soon! :dogdance:

I never considered myself a competitive person...but running made me realize that I probably am! :rolleyes1:rotfl:

I tried really hard to register for Expedition Everest challenge, but too late though. Hope you have a blast, @THEDISNEYTHREE !! :cheer2:
Please feel free to post some race pictures for us in here!

Hey everyone (hope there is someone at least...hahaha).

I’m a little scared this week. I got this terrible flu and wasn’t able to go running for almost 2 weeks!

Why scared? Because I have a 5 mile race this weekend! My 4th race of the year (yay!). :woohoo:

This race is called “5 Miles of São Paulo” (or 8k).

Can you feel the challenge? Coz I sure can!

This is the longest race I registered since I started running. Ok, I already ran 10K before, and I was surprisingly ok with that. However, it was TRAINING. IN THE PARK. Not racing others...and you guys know: it is super difficult to slow down, even if you’re dying, lungs exploding, almost not breathing, during a street race! (Am I competitive? Not at all…) :hippie:

Well, I’ll try to be glad by finishing the run and not run to improve my timing (my fastest mile was 9:57 and my average pace is 7:17 per kilometer). Especially because most part of the course is a long rising street (any of my running pals can help me with that - What is the American “slang” for those “rising streets” along the running course?).

Anyway, you know what I mean…right? It never ends! NEVER!

Ok…maybe I’m whining a little too much.:offtopic:

After the race, I’ll check back with timing and hopefully a few pictures as well.

You're not whining....just venting and anyone who has had the flu certainly has earned a little venting time, besides that's what we are here for!

Good luck with your race but I really think you are going to do great!

Mirror, mirror on the wall: who's the most scared runner of them all? :wave2:

Seriously. Just got back from running in the park.
Ran 3,2k. Almost died.

My trainer asked me to do this sequence:
Jumping rope: 150 jumps
Running: 0,6k increasing speed
Jumping rope: 50 jumps
Running: 0,6k
Repeat the last rope + running sequence 3 more times.

Definitely my lungs are way weaker than my legs! :faint:

You got this, girl! And as for being competitive? You've taken on this challenge - so you clearly are competitive!

Race days are crazy. Even though chances are you won't win, that doesn't mean you won't try your hardest to do your best!

But in the end, it's your race - only YOU can beat YOU.

Keep up the good work!!!

Hello everyone!

I know, I know...it’s been a while. I promised to keep things as updated as possible. Sorry about that! Is just that things are crazy at work, and we had 2 holidays this last April, so I had tons of work to do in a much shorter period.

First things first: I ran my first 5 mile race April 26th. It was AWESOME!

You guys know how scared I was before the race… I lost 2 weeks of training and almost died the Friday prior the race.

However, and I am proud to announce that, I was able to beat all my records: ran 8,5km in 58 minutes - fastest kilometer (5’42”), best average pace 6’49”/km (according to Nike+Running app).

I was mesmerized. Happy. Amazed! :cheer2:

About the race: it was well organized, except for the fact that the “pace tracking device” (don’t know how it is done in America, but here in Brazil they give you a “chip” that tracks runner’s pace, rhythm and time and it is supposed to be tied to your shoes) was distributed the hour before the race. Normally it comes with the runner’s kit, which makes much more sense since you don’t have to be there much earlier than the starting time.

I went all alone this time because my friends preferred running the Avengers race (ok, I know…as a Disneyholic I should have ran the Avengers as well…but the course wasn’t appealing to me, and I was eager to do this 5 “mile” thing…). I really don’t mind being alone, but I get shy among all those running teams with their team shirts and runner attitude, preparing themselves for the race. I have to say, I was intimidated. But only at first. I mentioned that I am competitive. It is something natural, I guess. When I am on the street, I really can’t keep myself at my own pace…it feels like my body moves by itself with the flow. When I hear my first kilometer average pace I though: “what?”!

Oh, crossing the Finish Line felt good. Really good!

After that, I went home, took a shower and left to have lunch with my parents at a Food Truck Festival. And I got a BIG hamburger….well, I deserved it!

So, Tuesday was WDW Marathon Weekend registration. Oh, boy! I LOVED every posting at the WDW thread! I was at the office and had to control myself after reading some of the postings (thanks to @Keels , Google and Youtube I was introduced to the Prancercise and all that jazz!!)

Now I am focused on planning my WDW January trip…and I’m glad to say that I won’t be alone all the time! One of my best friends is going with her family too – husband and daughter.

Her husband ran the half this year and will be running the Full in 2016! Yay!

I have so much more to tell you guys...but I should probably save it for the next post! ;)

Sooo...see ya real soon! :earsgirl:

Your times are really great and good job on the personal records. I understand what you mean about being intimidated when at a race alone, but looks like you don't ever have to be intimidated!

Also, god bless food trucks and big burgers!

Edited to say I just realized you said you almost died before your race!! EEEP! I won't pry as to why, but am happy that you did not!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the support @roxymama

I decided to dedicate time to improve my running the best I can. So, thanks for the link @BuckeyeBama ...it helped a lot in so many ways (I really enjouy reading in English, it helps to improve my grammar skills).

My first step was looking for a gym to register myself. But before that, I asked for a free trial class. Thanks God for that!

One of the gyms offered a “functional training”, exactly what I was looking for. So I scheduled my free class and got super excited about it! However, it was a Cross Fit class, which I hated. The instructor wasn’t interested in me or my difficulties (don’t know if I mentioned, but last August I had a surgery for a tumor removal in my shoulder area…so, obviously I have one or two difficulties that he should be aware of…but he didn’t care. AT. ALL.).

As a result, my back hurts because I obviously had trouble lifting 46kg! Besides, my legs hurt too and It was difficult to run last night.:crutches:

Well, I’ll keep my “functional training” crusade. I have another trial class next week, let’s see how it goes…

So, a few days ago I invited some of my girl friends to run with me at a night run (I am NOT a morning person. Therefore, I try to run all the night races organized here in Sao Paulo, and this will be the 3rd). it is a 5 or 10K course, and I was compelled to register for the 10K (my first 10K race…).

One of my friends wants to run with me the whole course, and she decided that our average pace should be at 7min per kilometer. Considering that she is REALLY bossy, my guess is that we will be finishing it in a shorter pace…and that I’ll be destroyed at the end…:rotfl:

Anyways, after my WDW Marathon Weekend registration, I decided it was time to choose all of my 2015 races.

I have already chosen some of my races, and I guess my run calendar is practically ready now:

May 30: Run the Night SP 10K

June: TBD (Track & Field Run Series 10K Galeria Shopping or Corrida dos Bombeiros 10K)

July 19: Athenas SP 16K

August 30: Disney Magic Run SP 10K

September 20: Venus SP 15K

October 18: W21 Asics SP (my first half!)

November 29: Star Wars Run SP 6K

December: TBD

Oh, And I have a few pictures of my last race to show.

That’s all for now.

Attachments

• 10 Milhas de São Paulo 1.jpg
    10 Milhas de São Paulo 1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 10 Milhas de São Paulo 2.JPG
    10 Milhas de São Paulo 2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 10 Milhas de São Paulo 3.JPG
    10 Milhas de São Paulo 3.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 10 Milhas de São Paulo 4.JPG
    10 Milhas de São Paulo 4.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
hey everyone!

So May is here, and brought the cold with it, for my delight!
I really love cold weather. Cold is life!
Don't judge, people! :hippie:

Ok. I like summer...but only when I'm at the beach. I really love enjoying the summer there, but HATE being in São Paulo during those hot sunny days. Despite of being Brazil's richest city, SP is really not prepared for extreme weather - either hot or cold. Anyway... I just wanted you to get the big picture of why I prefer cold instead of hot weather. :offtopic:

Anyways, autumn is finally here and I love it!
But I have to admit that, as I run in the park, it is getting harder and harder to go training!

And after missing a few training days, I promised myself (and my trainer) that I'll be back on my 3 days-a-week routine from now on. I admit that I got lazy after that flu (btw: got a flu shot last week. Hope that will be enough to keep me away from it - at least during this winter)

Well, today I got an easy training: 100 rope jumps, 1k walking fast + 30 minutes divided into 5 min cycles, which I should run 1 cycle at a slow pace and the next at a faster pace, and so on - I ran 4,35k in an average pace of 7 min per km in the 30' workout. :thumbsup2

Next Wednesday I'll have to run 8k. Let's see how it goes.

Hope to see yea real soon! :earsgirl:

Hi Brunna!

I love that you started running because of a Princess race ... that's a great motivation. And it's so great that running helped you get over your heartbreak ... it's always nice to be able to move past something terrible that happens.

It sounds like you're doing really great with your training! Your race schedule looks great - I like that you have a variety of distances planned!

I'm looking forward to following along with your training (and maybe running into you at the 5K or 10K in January)!

Hi @SarahDisney !!
I'm so glad you found my journal!
You're right, it is really nice to overcame an obstacle! I'm proud for not being sorry for myself (at least not for a long time..haha).

I'm looking forward to sahre my running routine here, and even more excited to meet all of you at the WDW marathon weekend.

Hope we can run together there :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Are you attending to the W.I.S.H. gathering?

Talking about running routine, I had my first trail run this weekend.
I usually run Monday, Tuesday and Friday nights, but I got out of the office super late last Friday and wasn't able to get to the park before closing time.

As I said before, I'm NOT a morning person, which makes me really lazy Saturday and Sunday mornings. But I had promised myself that from now on I'd take my training seriously. So I went to the park Saturday morning. And it was such a perfect autumn morning - cold breeze and a slightly warm golden sun in a deep and clean blue sky. My favorite kind of day.

And it was awesome! I really enjoyed it and hope to do this again real soon.
According to Nike Run app, I ran 8,2k (5miles) in 1:03 hour. Considering the course, I think this is a pretty good result! :banana:

As my first 10k race approaches, my training is getting more serious...hahaha
Possibly I'll run a 10k tomorrow (if I can get to the park on time..).

I'm watching NBA Playoffs at this moment, so I'd better turn this iPad off, because the game is burning, baby! popcorn::

See ya real soon :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter