How should we get to the Port???

SoThisIsLove

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone!

We are cruising on the Fantasy and staying at Saratoga Springs before the cruise. We are a party of 6 and are trying to figure out which transportation is best to get us to the port. We have looked into DCL transportation and a private van. Can anyone share the pros and cons of each? If we used Disney, what time do they get you to port? We are Platinum Castaway Cay members so we don't have a set PAT.

Thanks!!!!!

With a private hire car/van
- You can choose when you want to leave your resort/arrive at port.
- You get picked up from your hotel and head straight to the port
- It's just your family/group
- Sometimes it's cheaper than DCL transfers
- When you arrive at port, there are porters there who will take your suitcases from there. You won't get them back until they arrive in your room.

With DCL transfers
- You only find out the day before what time you will be picked up from your resort
- You can't control what time you get picked up/arrive at port.
- Unless you're the last pick up, you will visit other resorts until the bus is full
- If you're the last pick up, your group might not be able to sit together on the bus
- It's Disney immersive immediately. They usually play a themed video and there is Disney music playing
- You have to put your bags out by 8am the morning you're leaving Saratoga. You won't get them back until they appear in your room

I would add one possible benefit to private transfers. If you need to make any sort of a grocery stop before you get to the ship, you can do that with the private transfer. The DCL bus does not stop.

This -- and also with 6 I believe private transportation would be cheaper than Disney transfers. Plus you can dictate what time you want to leave the resort. We always use private transportation now -- I like the grocery stop and for three of us it pretty well balances out in costs comparison

Thanks for asking this question! I am debating right now which way to choose too. It's just my husband and I so price would be a big difference. Plus this is our first Disney cruise (actually 1st cruise ever!) so I would want to try and be at port as soon as possible so that I may have a chance of signing up for tastings...(since I'm not holding out any hope of being able to do it online before the cruise!)

Just a thought
We usually travel with a large extended family group. Private transfer would be cheaper but dealing with all the different "personalities" is a headache. DCL bus and Mickey is in charge.

The DCL bus takes your bags to the port for you (in a truck). DH prefers not to schlep bags. That is one of is few requirements.

We always rent a car. We are a party of 6 and this is the best method for us. You can rent one way. The last time I crunched the price for a one way minivan it was under $100 for the day. You can drop the passengers and luggage off to the porter, so no schleping. Unfortunately, the driver has to take the car to the company and shuttle back to the port. Or taxi for a quicker return.

Reactions: MUN
Thank you everyone for all your input. We are thinking of trying the private transfer so we can take advantage of the grocery stop. Does anyone have a reliable limo company they recommend? We have called a few we found on the internet but would like to hear your recommendations ....

Last edited:
FYI: be sure to go online when your booking window opens (75 days prior to your cruise if first cruise) and pick your Port Arrival Time. You need to do this for each cabin in your group even if the reservations are linked.
Your PAT will be the time you can arrive At the terminal and check in. Once you check in you will be given a boarding number.

Thank you everyone for all your input. We are thinking of trying the private transfer so we can take advantage of the grocery stop. Does anyone have a reliable limo company they recommend? We have called a few we found on the internet but would like to hear your recommendations ....

We have been happy with Florida Tours.
Enjoy your cruise!

Florida Tours is the company we use for all our transfers and we are always happy with them.

We use Southern Elegance and have for more than a decade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!