How successful have you been renting points from other sites

breps83

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I am curious how successful anyone else has been renting points from some of the well known sites like David's or www.dvcrental.com.

I just found out they are renting points for some resorts at 13.50 and the premium ones for 15.00 . The resort we picked is one one of the 13.50 ones (OKW). I found some of the open listings for these sites and there are a ton. I'm assuming since there are so many that most people would rather rent out their points to the 15.00 resorts and not waste much time with the 13.50 resorts. Am I wrong? Assuming if you owned say OKW or SSR you would just wait until 7 months so you could rent to the premium resorts.

I recently just found out about renting points directly from other users on this site for average $15, $16 to any resort of choice (within 7 months). I am ok with that but would putting a deposit in with Davids or DVC rental be a waste? They sort of seem like scam sites now that I see how hard it may be to get something.

Last edited by a moderator:
The brokers pay more for points at certain resorts in the 11-7 month window. They charge their customers more for those resorts. Once those points hit the 7 month period, they no longer get a premium.

Some brokers pay a pittance to DVC members for points. As a result, they get very few points to rent. If you happen to be pulled in by one of these, you will likely be disappointed.

David's has a good reputation on both sides of the transaction.

Note that looking for reservations less than 7 months in advance may result in people willing to rent points, but no availability to use them because all the rooms are gone. You'll see this between September and mid January.

Are you saying that you can rent at $13.50-$15? Or that's what they pay owners who are willing to rent their points? I did a test for both sites and with less than 7 months, the best rate I could get was $17pp with https://dvcrentalstore.com/

The brokers pay more for points at certain resorts in the 11-7 month window. They charge their customers more for those resorts. Once those points hit the 7 month period, they no longer get a premium.

Some brokers pay a pittance to DVC members for points. As a result, they get very few points to rent. If you happen to be pulled in by one of these, you will likely be disappointed.

David's has a good reputation on both sides of the transaction.

Note that looking for reservations less than 7 months in advance may result in people willing to rent points, but no availability to use them because all the rooms are gone. You'll see this between September and mid January.

Yeah that is what I am seeing. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath trying to book something through them. I guess I need to start watching these forums more. They do a really good job making it seem like it's a guarantee you will get a confirmed reservation.

Are you saying that you can rent at $13.50-$15? Or that's what they pay owners who are willing to rent their points? I did a test for both sites and with less than 7 months, the best rate I could get was $17pp with www.dvcrentalstore.com

No I am saying they pay DVC owners $13.50 - $15 to rent out their points. Seeing some people get $16+ for their points here makes it seem less likely that they will be successful in helping us get a reservation.

A lot of owners feel that the few dollars that a broker takes is worth not having to do the legwork. And for the renter, it increases the security that you won't get scammed. I believe all refund your deposit if you don't get a reservation. No matter what avenue you choose, there are more people looking to rent DVC points than there are DVC owners who won't be using their points - so you may use the rent trade board here and not make the connection you need as well.

I’m happy to rent my points out using a broker at $14.50 a point, and have done so a few times with David’s. I could get more doing it privately but I’d have to sort out the contracts, payment, and take all the risk myself. A lot of people on boards also want one or two nights at a time. With a broker all my points tend to be gone within a day or two in only one or two bookings. I’m more than happy to pay a few dollars for the convenience and it definitely isn’t a scam.
if you can find someone offering what you want on here it can be a great deal for both of you, but the brokers often have a very large pool of owners.

I have rented from Dave’s several times. They are really great and it was so easy. I just transferred points to my DVC from DVC Store. First time I did a transfer (which I understand you can do once a year). It worked out very smoothly, and I was able to get a 3 BD Villa at OKW around Christmas time.

Dave’s DVC - https://dvcrequest.com DVC Store - https://www.dvcstore.com/

Last edited:
Depends on what you are looking for. We tried to rent points at VGF 11 months out for December. I contacted them a few days before the 11 month window just so that we had our ducks in a row on the off chance they had a renter with VGF points. They did seem to think I was completely crazy for contacting them before 11 months (it was less than a week) and basically wanted to refund me as soon as the 11 month mark hit and there was no availability. There was still DVC availability showing for what we wanted but again, each day they kept trying to get me to cancel. It was odd. Maybe they knew more than I did but if they did it was never communicated (i.e. they had a long wait list before me or knowing they never get VGF points). Either way I would definitely use them again but in high demand times you might not have great luck.

Depends on what you are looking for. We tried to rent points at VGF 11 months out for December. I contacted them a few days before the 11 month window just so that we had our ducks in a row on the off chance they had a renter with VGF points. They did seem to think I was completely crazy for contacting them before 11 months (it was less than a week) and basically wanted to refund me as soon as the 11 month mark hit and there was no availability. There was still DVC availability showing for what we wanted but again, each day they kept trying to get me to cancel. It was odd. Maybe they knew more than I did but if they did it was never communicated (i.e. they had a long wait list before me or knowing they never get VGF points). Either way I would definitely use them again but in high demand times you might not have great luck.

Just to clarify, only DVC owners have the ability to see real time availability for DVC rooms. So, any site you may be seeing that lists rooms still available would not be up to date..unless you are also an owner who was looking to rent and have access.

Just to clarify, only DVC owners have the ability to see real time availability for DVC rooms. So, any site you may be seeing that lists rooms still available would not be up to date..unless you are also an owner who was looking to rent and have access.
Yes I am an owner which is why I knew availability.

A lot of owners feel that the few dollars that a broker takes is worth not having to do the legwork. And for the renter, it increases the security that you won't get scammed. I believe all refund your deposit if you don't get a reservation. No matter what avenue you choose, there are more people looking to rent DVC points than there are DVC owners who won't be using their points - so you may use the rent trade board here and not make the connection you need as well.
Yep, sometimes having to answer for the 10th time that no, you cannot get a value studio for marathon week end 2 months in advance, can get annoying.
However I got $16pp on most of my points I've rented this year through the board, instead of $13.5. That's enough difference to pay for a nice experience like a tour or a couple signature meals, so for me the extra legwork is worth it.

And for me, it definitely isn't. I would have never bothered to rent without broker services being available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter