How to afford a Disney solo trip?

I’ve gone to Disney solo before. But I was able to drive and I got a free ticket through work. I stayed offsite at an AirBnb. So it was a really cheap trip.

Now I have to fly. I was able to get a good deal at All Stars for about $100 a night. I’m only going for 3 nights. But with flights, and a two day park hopper, it’s still seems so expensive!

How do you save up and get deals?

Get a Target RedCard(Debit works just as well as the Credit) and buy gift cards. You get 5% off all specialty gift cards, so this helps with Disney cards, airline, Amtrak, etc. On top of that, I never pay full price and wait for the slower seasons(relatively anyway). As far as air, if you have an airport with Southwest Airlines nearby, that can save you a lot of money, especially since you get two free checked bags. Combine that with a Southwest gift card you purchase from Target and you get a nicer budget airline even cheaper(my current booked flight down, from DC, cost me $72....haven't booked my return yet). There are a lot of little tricks, but this is basically a well known trick. It's just a matter of shopping around and watching a few Disney vlogs on youtube to get these tricks. Dis has a channel, and Disney Food Blog(DFB) is also very useful for a lot of useful tricks. Bear in mind that Disney hotels are now putting a $100 incremental hold on your card at check in if you want to charge to your room with your MagicBand, so my advice is to just skip that and put money on a gift card instead, especially with such a short trip.

I’ve gone to Disney solo before. But I was able to drive and I got a free ticket through work. I stayed offsite at an AirBnb. So it was a really cheap trip.

Now I have to fly. I was able to get a good deal at All Stars for about $100 a night. I’m only going for 3 nights. But with flights, and a two day park hopper, it’s still seems so expensive!

How do you save up and get deals?

Also, if you are worried about food, consider calling and getting a ticketless package with dining(whichever plan is suited to your needs, but do a cost comparison), since I assume you bought room and tickets separately.

Also, if you are worried about food, consider calling and getting a ticketless package with dining(whichever plan is suited to your needs, but do a cost comparison), since I assume you bought room and tickets separately.
Great tip about purchasing Southwest gift cards from Target! I usually get my Disney gift cards from there with my REDcard but I didn’t know they did Southwest.

Great tip about purchasing Southwest gift cards from Target! I usually get my Disney gift cards from there with my REDcard but I didn’t know they did Southwest.

I was going through it yesterday planning for my trip, since I just applied for my RedCard Debit, and happened to notice Southwest, Amtrak, Hotels.com and many others. I travel at least three hours just to be able to fly Southwest from where I live, but always save money by going with them. My upcoming trip is a camping trip, so my second checked bag is a huge duffel that will have my tent, along with other equipment, in it. I will probably end up saving near $200 on just using this method, in addition to what I already saved on using a Sun and Fun discount and using a budget airline. Like I said, I never pay rack rate/full price for any travel. There is always some way to get at least a small discount somewhere.

Be minimal.
I went solo for $1,000.
Stayed at POP standard room, got base tickets, planned out what I was going to eat ahead of time and had a budget, only ate QS, booked airfare when I felt comfortable with the price...
I don't "save up" for vacations. I put it on the credit card and then pay it off. Until its paid off I tend to think a bit more about if I really "need" all those items in my shopping carts at various stores and try to hold off on purchases.

I don't do any dessert parties. I buy a case of water at the beginning of the trip, to avoid or at least minimize buying any bottled water in the parks.

I could afford to spend a lot, but don't think it's worth it at Disney. Going for my first solo trip end of this week for a week, and have an AP (want to get one more trip out of it, as only used it twice). Staying value, so roughly $1,000. I don't eat a lot, so don't spend a ton on food. I can eat one snack and one meal in a day & be full. I pack my adult beverages for the room in a wine diaper (bottle of vodka for nightcaps, maybe some rum). I don't drink soda. Used Southwest points for the flights. So for maybe about $1,600 I'd say I'll have a week to myself!

I have a CapitalOne Venture card that gives me points for everything I purchase. The points can go towards anything CapitalOne deems as "travel" which includes Disney payments and flights among other things. I travel for work as well which helps, but I accrue enough points to generally cover my flights or part of my Disney payments.

With that said however, I am doing 5 Disney days and 2.5 (including travel 1/2 day) universal days for around $1,900 total this September. I'm just paying off as I go, staying value, did a QS dining plan (going to break QS meals into food & wine snack credits), and am not big into souvenirs. So I'm not spending TOO much.

I plan on using my points for my flights, and anything left over for a payment or two. Traveling solo is a high priority for me though, wherever that may be (this Sept is my first solo Disney trip), so my trips are something I save for on a yearly basis. Last year, I spent a month volunteering in Zimbabwe, and the year before that I went and visited friends/fam in California. It's just about prioritizing and saving as much as you each month!

Although OP's deal of $100/night at the All-Star is actually a great rate, I started out by saving money staying offsite. Finding a hotel with a shuttle was great, but I even ended up taking the city bus which has stops at Disney Springs and TTC. Staying offsite meant that I could begin or end the day with a meal at a quick service restaurant. Even having to pick up snacks and supplies at the 7-11 was cheaper than buying onsite.

These days, I don't even spend on bottled water. I bought a double-walled sports bottle that I fill to the top with ice water in the morning, and then I ask for free cups of ice water at any quick service food location to stay hydrated beyond that.

It was possible at one point to stock up on tickets at authorized third party resellers. I would be prepared to buy whenever there was a sale going on. But the economy is a bit better now, and deep discounted tickets are harder to come by. And even if you get them, they have date restrictions. With prices continuing to go up, it's definitely expensive no matter what you do.

I had a couple of friends go AirBnB and they really enjoyed that experience. It was an extra 20 minutes to get to the main gate, but they could stop at a supermarket and pack sandwiches. I don't think I'd like that experience as I think dining is part of the fun, but you do what you gotta do.

My two biggest expenses while traveling to WDW are airfare and food. To save on my airfare I use air miles for flights and to reduce the cost of food I arrange for groceries to be delivered to my room to save on having to eat out everyday at WDW.

Last edited:
Although OP's deal of $100/night at the All-Star is actually a great rate, I started out by saving money staying offsite. Finding a hotel with a shuttle was great, but I even ended up taking the city bus which has stops at Disney Springs and TTC. Staying offsite meant that I could begin or end the day with a meal at a quick service restaurant. Even having to pick up snacks and supplies at the 7-11 was cheaper than buying onsite.

These days, I don't even spend on bottled water. I bought a double-walled sports bottle that I fill to the top with ice water in the morning, and then I ask for free cups of ice water at any quick service food location to stay hydrated beyond that.

It was possible at one point to stock up on tickets at authorized third party resellers. I would be prepared to buy whenever there was a sale going on. But the economy is a bit better now, and deep discounted tickets are harder to come by. And even if you get them, they have date restrictions. With prices continuing to go up, it's definitely expensive no matter what you do.

I had a couple of friends go AirBnB and they really enjoyed that experience. It was an extra 20 minutes to get to the main gate, but they could stop at a supermarket and pack sandwiches. I don't think I'd like that experience as I think dining is part of the fun, but you do what you gotta do.
After staying in an AirBnb for my first trip, I vowed never again. I'm just the type of person who has to stay onsite when going to WDW. I just felt too disconnected from the magic I guess. But I can't really justify doing anything more a value resort. I also take my own refillable water bottle and get tickets through Undercover Tourist.

I have a CapitalOne Venture card that gives me points for everything I purchase. The points can go towards anything CapitalOne deems as "travel" which includes Disney payments and flights among other things. I travel for work as well which helps, but I accrue enough points to generally cover my flights or part of my Disney payments.

With that said however, I am doing 5 Disney days and 2.5 (including travel 1/2 day) universal days for around $1,900 total this September. I'm just paying off as I go, staying value, did a QS dining plan (going to break QS meals into food & wine snack credits), and am not big into souvenirs. So I'm not spending TOO much.

I plan on using my points for my flights, and anything left over for a payment or two. Traveling solo is a high priority for me though, wherever that may be (this Sept is my first solo Disney trip), so my trips are something I save for on a yearly basis. Last year, I spent a month volunteering in Zimbabwe, and the year before that I went and visited friends/fam in California. It's just about prioritizing and saving as much as you each month!
I am REALLY considering getting a Capital One card. I've never had a credit card but I really want to build my airline miles.

I always fly free with points from my Southwest CC, stay value with a discount code, eat counter services meals, buy a case of water at check in, I also buy a carton of milk when I check in to have cereal in my room for breakfast (which I bring in my luggage and then it frees up souvenir space), use my Brita water bottle, don't rent a car (or if I do, I check the rate daily until it is crazy low), sometimes I stay offsite and rent a timeshare cheaply through eBay, I always use the Mousesavers newsletter Undercover Tourist discount link to buy park tickets with the most savings from gate price and then upgrade to AP to get 2+ trips from my tickets (this usually saves 70+ dollars). I also have a Disney Chase card so that gives me a discount on any souvenirs that I buy and I use my reward dollars for those (I don't buy much of anything-- maybe a mug or a t-shirt or 2). It's all about what is important to you. For example, to me, table service is a waste of time and money, but for others it makes their vacation special.

I am REALLY considering getting a Capital One card. I've never had a credit card but I really want to build my airline miles.

Do you already have credit built up? If so, go for the Venture card! I really like it, and if you like to travel at all the perks are 100% worth it. If you don't have any credit, like I didn't, I started with a suuuper low-credit card they offer that I was eligible for, built up credit for like 3 months by only paying for gas on it, then was eligible for the Venture card which I use for most purchases.

Try to sign up when they have a deal going (i.e. sign up and spend X in the first 3 months, and get X extra points). I did this in the midst of planning an extensive trip with lots of flights and hotel payments, ensuring I would hit the limit within the time frame to get the extra points.

I have never fallen for those cards that offer "travel" rewards. The flights are always more than you can book directly through the airlines' sites. Plus, ANY credit card that offers points can be used towards travel or whatever else you'd care to spend them on. If I save up $200 in rewards, I pay that towards my bill and it covers my flight. So it's not really about how they make you think you're using your points, because it's meaningless and basically the same exact thing as any other card. The trick is more how you can earn the points. Some offer better points than others, especially the ones with the annual fee. I love my Chase Saphire Reserve. Yes, the fee is costly, but to cover my TSA Global Entry, plus a free membership into the top tier Priority Pass membership level, and the $400 annual reimbursement for travel (including regional rail, which is how I get into Manhattan), the card pays for itself and then some. When I land at MCO, my first stop is the lounge, where I can get free snacks, soup, meals, salads, drinks, and alcohol, plus a clean private restroom instead of the ones out by the masses... awesome.

Vacations are a part of our budget - sometimds it gets more than the original budgeted amout - sometimes less - but there is always something

Some offer better points than others, especially the ones with the annual fee. I love my Chase Saphire Reserve. Yes, the fee is costly, but to cover my TSA Global Entry, plus a free membership into the top tier Priority Pass membership level, and the $400 annual reimbursement for travel (including regional rail, which is how I get into Manhattan), the card pays for itself and then some. When I land at MCO, my first stop is the lounge, where I can get free snacks, soup, meals, salads, drinks, and alcohol, plus a clean private restroom instead of the ones out by the masses... awesome.

Yes to this! I splurged on the Chase Sapphire Reserve as well and couldn't be happier! They refund you the first $300 in travel expenses, so the annual fee nets out at just $150/year.

In addition to the benefits you mentioned, I like that it includes the best travel insurance coverage I've seen from any credit card, at no additional cost.

The Global Entry benefit comes with TSA Pre-Check which is such a huge benefit when flying solo through MCO, letting you avoid standing in the same lines as the huge families.

Since they give 3 points per dollar spent on dining and travel, and I can redeem those for 1.5 cents per point on future vacations, I'm basically getting back 4.5% on my Disney vacations, including airfare, car rental, hotel bill, etc. I charge all merchandise and park ticket upgrades to my room so that I even get 4.5% back on that stuff. Plus, Undercover Tourist is considered travel, so you save even more buying tickets there than using Target gift cards.

Last edited:
Before becoming an AP, I would stack nights through hotels.com which led to a free night here and one there. I don't save per se. I used to buy things one at a time i.e. one resort night at a time. It's a little arduous and sure, the room assigners will love you but a little here and a little there adds up.

My new approach is to buy a $25 disney gift card every week. That way, I can't spend it on anything but Disney and I'll stress less when trip time comes around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!