How to afford a Disney solo trip?

The main thing for me is that I prioritize it in my personal budget...and I have a personal budget. I use budgeting software so I know exactly how much I'm actually spending on necessities versus non-necessities, and I'm always saving toward anticipated expenses so I can set aside a little at a time instead of having to come up with it all at once. That goes for travel expenses, but also more mundane things like car insurance payments, annual credit card fees, etc.--it took me a while to get consistent and catch all the things I was forgetting to save for, but now everything is planned ahead of time and I never have sudden shortfalls that would force me to pilfer from my vacation fund, and I don't overspend on things like entertainment and dining out since I have a very clear limit for those things. I don't travel especially frugally at Disney; I'd rather have less money for day to day things and do a more indulgent trip once per year. "Indulgent" for me isn't terribly wild in the grand scheme of what one could spend on Disney vacations if one had money to burn, but it means I'm willing to pay more to stay onsite (value tier) than to stay offsite and drive in (I hate driving in general, so it vastly improves my experience to not have to deal with it), I'll do a couple of table service meals rather than 100% counter service, etc.

Definitely look into credit card reward programs! I've got the United MileagePlus Explorer, which is $95 per year. I'm starting to look at my options for switching to a card with different/better rewards, but I have to weigh whether I can get enough out of something like the Chase Sapphire to come out ahead on the annual fee. I do that pretty comfortably on the United card; I got TSA Precheck for free, and I get enough miles back that it pays for itself in airfare (I don't count other perks like lounge access or free checked bags against the cost, since if I didn't have the card I just wouldn't use those services and wouldn't be paying for them anyway!). If you go for a credit card for the rewards program, shop around and find one that gives back rewards you can actually use, and don't sign up immediately--watch your card(s) of choice for big signup bonuses, which come and go.

Edit: The other thing re: budgeting is that I draft preliminary budgets for my trips a year or more in advance, and I write them pessimistically (meaning I assume everything is going to cost much more than the minimum amount I know I can get it for). Having a realistic budget that far in advance lets me calculate whether I'm actually on track to save up for it, and keeping it pessimistic means my trips have been coming in under budget and I'm able to put the leftover money toward the next trip.

Last edited:
I get Disney cards at Target with my RedCard.

I also use an app called Shopkick. Using it earns you points that you can turn in to get free gift cards (Disney being one of them). Basically, you earn the points in a variety of ways: walking into a store, scanning the bar code of specific items, purchasing specific items, or buying items from on-line retailers like (Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, etc). From mid-May through early September, I was able to get $275 in free Disney gift cards.

It is cheaper to do a solo trip, than a family trip...
The hotel cost is the only cost that is the same.
1 park tix is less than 4, 1 meal less than 4, etc.

My suggestion is save a bit longer, the more days you go,
The more affordable the park tix become, more bang for the buck.

I have never fallen for those cards that offer "travel" rewards. The flights are always more than you can book directly through the airlines' sites. Plus, ANY credit card that offers points can be used towards travel or whatever else you'd care to spend them on. If I save up $200 in rewards, I pay that towards my bill and it covers my flight. So it's not really about how they make you think you're using your points, because it's meaningless and basically the same exact thing as any other card. The trick is more how you can earn the points. Some offer better points than others, especially the ones with the annual fee. I love my Chase Saphire Reserve. Yes, the fee is costly, but to cover my TSA Global Entry, plus a free membership into the top tier Priority Pass membership level, and the $400 annual reimbursement for travel (including regional rail, which is how I get into Manhattan), the card pays for itself and then some. When I land at MCO, my first stop is the lounge, where I can get free snacks, soup, meals, salads, drinks, and alcohol, plus a clean private restroom instead of the ones out by the masses... awesome.

The Venture card gives you points. When you charge a flight on the card, you can go directly through the airline site, then you just apply the points to your purchase after it posts. Not really anything tricky to 'fall' for. Both DH and I signed up for it last year and we each got 60,000 bonus points, so $1200 to spend on travel however we want. Annual fee waived the first year.

We also have the CSR, and have booked airfare once through their website. The flight was the exact same price as on the airline website, but you get 50% more credit that way. So instead of your $200 rewards, it could be $300 toward travel. (It only gives $300 annual reimbursement for travel though, not $400.)

While I’ve made POR my home resort, when travelling alone I stay at Pop. I’d rather spend money on experiences than a hotel room when I’m alone. And Pop was just renovated so that’s a plus!

I own a business so I use my credit card points for flights and park tickets. After checking in, I Uber over to the Walmart Supercentre and stock up on bottled water, fruit, cereal, milk and sandwich fixings. I eat a healthy breakfast in my room, pack good snacks for the day and always treat myself to a table service dinner. To eat 3 meals and snacks in the parks could cost $75 per day but I spend half of that or less.

But the big way I save money was to take a second job working part time. All the money goes towards travel!

I have always wanted to do a solo trip to WDW and I may just take one this year! I went to MK & DHS in Dec. 2018 with friends but we stayed offsite so we could be equal distance from Universal. It was so fun, 5 nights at a nice VC. We made a grocery store run as soon as we dropped off our bags in our rooms. It saved alot of money for us & we have all of our breakfasts in the rooms & some dinners. We packed our own snacks. I am refraining from sugar as much as possible so I saved alot of money by not indulging in Disney desserts.

I have a $100.00 travel credit from Southwest Air & already have 2 day ticket w/Park Hopper purchased before the rates changed, so I may book a flight & hotel for a trip in Nov. I would definitely be on a tight budget so I will be reading all the solo travelers trip reports & tips. I would only stay for 2 nights & may be interested in the Disney Springs hotels as I loved Disney Springs. My Hilton Honors should save me some I would think. My main goal for the parks would be DHS (Galaxy's Edge). I know, it's going to be sooooo crowded. I know I can stay on budget with food because when I was in the parks, I didn't get hungry much.

I'm a self employed hairstylist and I set my own prices and hours. I don't go out with my friends to the bars and waste my money. I'm a homebody and keep my butt at home 99% of the time. The only thing I do is travel. Being a non drinker seems to be key. All of my coworkers constantly say, "Are you going there again? Don't you get bored? Must be nice to go on so many vacations!" A: yes I'm going again. B: No I don't get bored at Disney, do you get bored going to the same lame bars 4 and 5 nights a week singing the same karaoke songs to the same drunken people?" C: You could go too if you didn't have to party every night. What you spend partying in a month would pay for a Disney vacation. It's about priorities. That's fine if you want to go out every night, but don't get all salty when you don't have enough money to get the heck outta town once in a while without it breaking the bank.

Also, I drive myself (7.5 hours), staying off property is key and I tend to live beneath my means. I own a little mobile home a mile off the ocean that is finally paid for, and I lease my cars because it's a cheaper payment for a nicer car. I could have a nice condo or house but it's just me, and I would rather go places than pay to look at my 4 walls. Paying $1500 a month around here for rent or house payments is insanity to me. I have lot rent that is $350 a month...that's it. I have everything I need and don't have to sweat the bills each month or have a roommate to help pay them. Downsizing is the answer lol! I would rather splurge on table service at Disney rather than the room I'm in, and I find I can get a much nicer room for less than the value resorts. The Rosen Centre is around $99 a night if you can do the secret hotel search on Hotwire. Sooo all that being said, I was able to go 6 times last year along with a trip to Disneyland Paris and London for 9 days, $919 flight AND hotel! My next Disney trip was under $300 for flight, hotel and car so this time I'm flying, just gotta get tickets. Back in the day I would buy the 10 day hopper non expiration tickets and use a couple here and there. Now that they did away with those I won't be going as often because they are pricing me out. From now on it's Paris for me. Crazy that it's cheaper to go there than WDW.

Can I ask what you spent for London and Paris? My mother and I are trying to plan for London and Disneyland Paris and I'm not sure the best way to do it.
All together with flight, hotel in Paris, train to London and hotel for one night, one day hopper for Disneyland Paris the total came to about $1250. I took 600 euros and 200 pounds and ended up cashing in 200 euros to bring back. Much cheaper than you'd think.

All together with flight, hotel in Paris, train to London and hotel for one night, one day hopper for Disneyland Paris the total came to about $1250. I took 600 euros and 200 pounds and ended up cashing in 200 euros to bring back. Much cheaper than you'd think.

One issue for me with Paris, is that where I live, a third to half of the airfare will be getting to wherever I am flying to Paris from. It can be expensive to get out of this city, except on specific routes. I could maybe fly Southwest, but I'd rather keep it all on one itinerary.

One issue for me with Paris, is that where I live, a third to half of the airfare will be getting to wherever I am flying to Paris from. It can be expensive to get out of this city, except on specific routes. I could maybe fly Southwest, but I'd rather keep it all on one itinerary.
Have you checked Orbitz? A package deal was by far the cheapest route for me.

I found something a couple years ago called "The Mason Jar Savings Plan", and I have used it for the past several years to pay for vacations. Basically you set aside money each week equal to the week of the year, so week one= $1, week 2=$3, all the way to week 52=$52. By December 31st you end up with nearly $1400. I used that to pay for a 4 day stay at WDW last year, and stayed on property at Art of Animation. I used points from my credit card to pay for the flight. All in all it works out quite well, and alleviates a lot of my money stress. Here's a link for anyone else who might be interested: Mason Jar Savings Plan Hope that is helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter