How to beat the HEAT?

paulsimon

Earning My Ears
We often visit Disney over Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. As most of you know the summer heat can be unbearable - especially if you have kids.

Here are the things we found to beat the heat. Does anyone else have ideas.

1. Get to the park early. If you're staying on property take advantage of early entry. We have found that if you take advantage of early entry that you can get a lot done in a short amount of time and get out of the parks when it gets really hot.

2. Pace yourself. If you can afford a longer stay do it. You can spend less time per day in the parks and more time at the pools.

3. Pools. Pools. Pools. Get back to your hotel at the hottest points in the day. The pools are a great way to relax and cool off.

4. Water. Bring your own or buy, but definately have it.

5. Take breaks as needed. There's nothing worse than pushing kids too much. Take a break. Have lunch. We went with a couple of families in August. By 10:00 a.m. the kids were melting and they were causing us to have a meltdown too. We took the kids to the Diamond Horseshoe Revue and got some ice cream. We split up and left the smaller kids to watch the show, while older kids went to splash mountain. It definately did the trick.

6. Lunch. Sit down and take a longer lunch. It may be a little more expensive than the fast food, but there's something about sitting down and having your food brought to you.

7. Find the shady spots. Take the extra time to stake out a shady spot for a parade. The sun will take its toll as you bake waiting for the parade.

8. Long airconditioned rides and shows. Do the things you can do inside to refresh yourself. MK - it's a small world, Haunted Mansion come to mind. Space Mountain is great too - even though the ride is short, the line is inside and airconditioned. One of my favorite resting spots is the American Adventure in Epcot. My wife and daughter always fall asleep. A nice 30 minute airconditioned catnap always does the trick.

I've gone on long enough. Please chime in with your "Beat the HEAT" Tips.

Thanks for the tips....we are going in August, I'm afraid I will be the one who won't tolerate the heat too well!
Look forward to any other suggestions!:D

Great ideas, just adding:

Long rides on the monorail
Frozen lemonaids
Fountains to run through
Splash mountain, or Kali River Rides

Jordan's mom

on a string were HEAVENLY last summer, along with lots of water, a slower pace and swimming breaks!

ok here are some of the lesser known tips that we got and really appreciated.....

Buy your spraybottle/fans at home on sale.

use spray deoderant on your feet and change shoes mid day.

if you have long hair, wet it in the morning and tie it up wet. it will stay wet most of the day and help you stay cool.

Freeze your waterbottles over night. take them with you for nice cool water all (at least) morning long.

beware brids in tree when sitting under them! we were sitting under a tree at mgm, next to a family with funnel cakes. the little boy next to me noticed something green in the middle of his cake. A bird had pooped on it! Our son got bird poop dropped on his shirt once, and our stroller was hit too.

Last summer I found out from reading these boards about cooling bandana's called Aqua Cool. You soak them in cold water. They have these beads in them that swell up and hold the cold water. You tie it around your neck and it really helps to keep you cool. You can also refridgerate it to make it even cooler. I was skeptical but they really did help.

It's a girl scout thing. We will all have bandanas and we tie them around our belt loop. When it gets really hot, you can wet them with water or in the water fountain and then tie them around your neck. They also come in handy for wiping faces, etc. Cheap too!

Another BIG tip... Powerade... They sell it now everywhere in the parks and if you are getting tired of water, drink Powerade instead of sodas. It will keep you hydrated very well & has a decent taste to it.

I would have died for one of those water fans last week, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $17 for one. If you are going from here on out to September buy one at home and take it with you. I will be for our next trip!

:smooth: I was in KB toys last year helping my friend plan for her July DW trip. They had AWESOME hand held fans. They are the size of those plastic ones we used to sneak into high school on the hot days. But they are not cheaply made like those black & white. These fans are cool looking and instead of the cheese, crappy and cheep plastic blades it is this parachute material like fabric. They are AWESOME!!!! The cool SOOOOOOO WELL and work well they use 2 AA batteries. So make sure that you have a good supply. The only bad thing is they hurt more than the cheaper ones we used to have, so please don't be dumb enough to put your finger in. Let's put it this way I already tried it out for you, they sting that's all. ;)

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter