How To ESTA

Pegasus928

DIS Veteran
As quite a few people have been posting questions relating to ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) lately - a lot of them worried about what the site is about and what ticks they should put in what box - I thought I would try to give you a rough idea as to what to expect when you go to the site to complete your form.

The link below will take you to where you need to be

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta....CC8C68E_k262991A7-FD7B-5605-CD32-37EB66A5B1AD

and the first screen you can expect to see is this one.

1.jpg

12.jpg

If you are filling in your ESTA for the first time you need to click the 'Apply' button on the left hand side.
This will take you to the following screen.

2.jpg

At this point read all the text in the box above then, if you are happy and understand the information provided, select 'Yes' and then click Next.
If you are not happy and need more clarification then select 'No'. This will take you to a page with some FAQs on it for you to find the answers to any questions you may have.
Once you have clicked Yes you will be taken to the following page.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

You only need to fill in the information that has a red * next to it.
People have asked in the past about flights and addresses where you will be staying - but as you can see these are not one of the required answers.
Once you have filled in your personal details you are then asked a series of questions that require a Yes or No answer. You obviously need to answer these questions honestly, but if you have been a good girl or boy you should be able to select No to all of them.
Once this is done put a tick in the 'Certification' box and then hit the Next button.
Unfortunately I couldn't get onto the screen after this but, if memory serves me right, the next one is the one that gives the all important Yes or No. There is also a button on this page that allows you to go back to the beginning and start a new form for someone else.

I hope this helps some of you with the process - if only to give you a 'Heads up' as to what to expect.
If I have missed something - or anybody else has anything to add - then please feel free.

:worship: Thanks for taking the time to do this Kenny, I vote that the mods make it a 'sticky'.

:worship: Thanks for taking the time to do this Kenny, I vote that the mods make it a 'sticky'.

Yes, you really are a star :wizard: I think this should be a sticky as well, due to the amount of ESTA questions! Tbh, I think the stickies could do with a bit of a refresh to more stuff like this!

If it helps to prevent someone making a mistake when filling in their forms, and answers a few questions along the way,then it was worth doing.

The only thing I was a little dissappointed with was the size of the screen shots, but even though I uploaded them to Photobucket several times at different sizes they always appeared in the post the same size regardless :confused3
If I can figure out how to get bigger pics in then I will.

Also if someone could come back and maybe post what the next screen is after the last one I have included, then that would be a help.
I tried to follow it all the way through, but unfortunately there is no Mickey Mouse with a passport number to match the one I provided :goodvibes

Yes well done, Someone please make it a sticky!! We're going on our first trip there next april and I;ve saved the screen to my favourites but a sticky woujld make more sense!
Thanks for taking the trouble

I filled my ESTA in a little while ago. I included my flight number etc but this has since been changed. Do you think I need to do anything or will it be ok to leave it as it is seeing as it is not a required field?
Thanks

I would think it would be OK to leave it as, as you say, it isn't one of the required fields.
Once completed the ESTA lasts for 2 years and multiple trips, and I assume that no-one will travel with the same flight number every time they go.
Alternativley you could try selecting 'Update or Check Status' on the first screen. This may then let you take out the flight number from your existing application.
If you do this please come back on and let us know how it went so we can keep a track of how people are dealing with these little issues :thumbsup2

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Kenny. It's definitely worthy of sticky status. :thumbsup2

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Kenny. It's definitely worthy of sticky status. :thumbsup2

My pleasure :)

Hopefully it can be updated regularly by people that come across problems, and figure out ways to fix them, and become useful to everyone :thumbsup2

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

My Wife and I to Florida in March this year for our honeymoon and were issued ESTA's, next year we are travelling to New York and Florida, I believe my ESTA application will still stand but my wife has now legally changed her surname and is getting a new passport.

Will we need to reapply for her ESTA?

This taken from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

The way I read it is that you will need a new ESTA.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=subtitle>Question</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textcell> </TD><TD class=textcell id=desc>ESTA won't accept my Post-dated passport. My passport has my old name.
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
trnsp.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=subtitle> </TD><TD class=subtitle>Answer</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textcell> </TD><TD class=textcell id=soln>For citizens of the United Kingdom: If you have applied for a Post-dated passport that will not be valid until after your marriage, you will not be able to apply for ESTA using that passport number until the day of your marriage, when the passport becomes valid. We recommend that you have a friend or relative apply for you if you do not have time between the ceremony and going to the airport. The application process is not complicated and should take no more than 10 minutes.
For travelers from other VWP countries, if you have received approval to come to the U.S., but then change your name as a result of marriage, divorce, or other legal proceeding), you must re-apply for a new ESTA authorization prior to travel. While we usually suggest applying 72 hours before you travel, we understand that this is one of those circumstances that can make it impossible to do so, and our system will accomodate your situation.
If you have a passport under one name, but your name has changed since it was issued, you can apply for ESTA using your old passport number and new name. You may also travel with a ticket issued in your new name and the passport in your old name, but we strongly recommend you bring a copy of your marriage license, divorce decree or other legal document showing the connection between your new name and the one on your passport.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Any change of name or passport details means that you have to apply for a new ESTA authorisation.

Hi all,

I have just completed my ESTA's - the next screen after the questions is the reference number that is issued, you make a note and then click apply. The reference number is handy if you need to progress the application ( should that situation apply) However, all ours were fine.

Just a quick word of warning also, before I knew the official site, the one that Pegasus posted, I saw quite a few unofficial sites asking you to apply through them, but asking for a fee ( and then of course getting your passport details) PLEASE DO NOT USE, the correct site is FREE,

Hi all,

I have just completed my ESTA's - the next screen after the questions is the reference number that is issued, you make a note and then click apply. The reference number is handy if you need to progress the application ( should that situation apply) However, all ours were fine.

Just a quick word of warning also, before I knew the official site, the one that Pegasus posted, I saw quite a few unofficial sites asking you to apply through them, but asking for a fee ( and then of course getting your passport details) PLEASE DO NOT USE, the correct site is FREE,

Thank you for updating this and letting people know what to expect after the screen shots on the OP.
Also very good advice about making sure you go to the official site. There are a lot of sites out there offering to fill in all the forms on your behalf for a fee - and you have no idea what will happen to your details once you submit them.

the next screen after the questions is the reference number that is issued, you make a note and then click apply.
Just to clarify (as I've just completed applications for my daughter and her family), after inputting all the information you're taken to a screen which requires you to check it all and re-input the passport number. The screen after that then quotes the reference number, which you're advised to make a note of before hitting the "apply" button. You're then taken to a screen which confirms that authorisation has been granted and you're given an opportunity to print the ESTA (which contains all the information you've input, together with the reference number). I fully intended to take screen grabs of all the stages, but completely forgot once I got into it. :headache:

well done Kenny!!!

You're all very lucky to be from a visa waiver country!!

My daughter in law just had to apply for an actual visa to the US (she's from Chile).

Poor girl had to go into the US Embassy for an interview all by herself.
My son thought he'd be able to go in with her (that was what he was told when he spoke with someone there). But when they got to the embassy, she had to go in by herself. It's a very daunting place with almost no signs at all - and given that she doesn't speak English, what few signs exist are of no help to her.

anyway, she was in there for 3 hours - 2 of them just waiting for her interview (for which she had an appointment - but still you wait).
The interview was easy of course, since after all, she IS married to an american. Once she said they were going on their honeymoon to the US and the counsel noticed that her husband's an american, the interview took no time.
then she had to wait in line to pay and fill out the courier forms for her passport to be sent back to her.

Meanwhile, my poor son was walking the streets for 3 hours as he waited for her, not knowing what had happened (no cellphones permitted in the embassy).

anyway, long story short, she received her passport back within a week - with her shiny new 10 year multiple entry visa inside.
whew....

and now they're all ready to see the mouse - once they finally have a break from work and school that is. But at least they know uncle sam will let them in :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!