How To ESTA

Does everyone have to reapply for ESTAs when the US reopens it’s borders or will existing ESTAs be reinstated?

Does everyone have to reapply for ESTAs when the US reopens it’s borders or will existing ESTAs be reinstated?

ESTA's are valid for 2 years, it makes no difference about borders being closed. I always print out the confirmation and it gives a VALID TO date. My current ESTA is valid to June 2021 as I renewed in June 2019

Everyone should check the status of his/her ESTA before travelling.

Some ESTAs have been canceled due to the travel restictions for EU residents to the US.
Canceled ESTAs will not re reinstated, you have to apply for a new one.

Some ESTAs have been canceled due to the travel restictions for EU residents to the US.
This is what I had heard. Has it been published anywhere?

This is what I had heard. Has it been published anywhere?

I found this....
Automatic Cancellation of Visa Waiver/ESTA Approvals for Travelers Subject to COVID-19 Entry Restrictions
Individuals traveling to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), but subject to the Proclamations restricting entry from the Schengen Area countries and the United Kingdom and Ireland, have had their approvals canceledpreemptively in the U.S. Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). In online FAQs issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), DHS notes the travelers whose ESTA is cancelled solely due to the Proclamations will be able to re-apply for ESTA at a later time.

The FAQ also says "any traveler with a valid ESTA who attempts to travel the United States in violation of this Proclamation will have their ESTA canceled. ESTA will not refund applications that are canceled due to this Proclamation. "

I understand it like this, only if you try to travel to the US from Schengen or the UK / Ireland during the current restrictions, you are denied entry and your current ESTA is cancelled.

In my understanding, this does not apply to anyone holding a current ESTA who is NOT travelling to the US at this time. So in that case, your ESTA should still be valid after the restrictions have been lifted (provided the validity date didn't expire during that time), right?

I hope so. I have just renewed my passport so I have to apply for a new ESTA. My daughter’s is valid for another 17 months (hopefully!).

You can check the current status of your daughter's ESTA on the ESTA website. As for yours, I would wait to renew it until closer to your travel date. That way, it also will stay valid longer.

Mine expired in 2017 and our next trip is in October, so I will renew it maybe 2 or 3 weeks before leaving.

I've read in german and british fan boards, that people, that were booked on flights scheduled to fly shortly after the border closed, had their ESTAs cancled.
The flights were canceled, so they haven't tried to enter the US, but the airline had already given passenger infos to US authorities.

Applied at 12.53 today and issued at 13.36. Very efficient.

This is on my to do list, but I have been putting it off. I didnt want to apply and then get refused due to the current situation. Maybe I will try to get my head around it this week, it might just help with staying positive for my end of June trip :)

This is on my to do list, but I have been putting it off. I didnt want to apply and then get refused due to the current situation. Maybe I will try to get my head around it this week, it might just help with staying positive for my end of June trip :)
I am not confident our Oct/Nov trip will be going ahead.
Just waiting for refunds for our May trip.

My trip is 30 June. I ummed and arred about applying but went ahead in case they are inundated as and when the lockdown ends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!