How to get little kids excited for Pandora?

ChemMom

Earning My Ears
My kids are 4 & 6, so too young to watch Avatar. I'd like them to have an idea of what Pandora is before we go. Does anyone know of any books, etc that would be appropriate for them? Thank you!

We let our son watch a couple clips of the movie on Youtube. Our daughter was too young. Even if we hadn't watched anything, they would have still be totally amazed. My kids absolutely loved looking around, especially at night.

My kids are 4 & 6, so too young to watch Avatar. I'd like them to have an idea of what Pandora is before we go. Does anyone know of any books, etc that would be appropriate for them? Thank you!
At your children's ages, I'd take them to a botanical garden/arboretum or natural history museum with a rain forest setting. Perhaps borrow a book with color photographs from the library; I'm sure a librarian can point you in the right direction. An art museum with an Impressionistic collection is another possibility and Kate and the Impressionists is a great book for those ages.

If you are going to Pandora at night you can get them excited about the bioluminescent glow under the black lights. We had our kids wear a few neon and white items and they loved walking around under the special lights to make themselves glow!

Tim Tracker is our favorite kid friendly youtuber and he has several videos posted about Pandora that you could show your kids to get them interested.

We let out kids watch segments of the movie that correspond to the rides. Like the scene where Jake flies the banshee.

My 6 year old has never seen Avatar movie but absolutely loved the land. We went for the 1st to that land in January and it was the one thing she asked to do on our return trip this August. My point being - I don’t think you need to do anything to get them excited... they will love it.

My kids had not watched many of the Disney movies when they were younger. Lion King and Nemo scared ODS. etc. They still enjoyed the rides! They did not watch any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies until they were much older, and they still loved the ride.

My kids hadn't seen the movies aside from promos or clips on other movies before and still really enjoyed the land. They were 11 and 14 on this last trip and were all about wanting to watch the movies when they got home to figure out some of it but that lost its thunder before we got home lol.

My 7 year old son thought the boat ride was sooo boring! I liked it. When we got off he says never have to do that again! hahahahaha I was so excited to finally go to Pandora and that's what he said! I guess I talked it up too much! hahaha Maybe we should have went at night!

My 6 year old has never seen Avatar movie but absolutely loved the land. We went for the 1st to that land in January and it was the one thing she asked to do on our return trip this August. My point being - I don’t think you need to do anything to get them excited... they will love it.

same here. dd was 4 in March, has never seen the movie and loved the area. We built it up as we were headed to that area of the park, saying we were going to an alien moon, and that the bridge uses special Disney magic to get us there. Pretty sure at first she was just playing along, but after NRJ, she asked the cm if we were really on an alien moon and the girl said yes! and then went on to say what its called and all sorts of stuff idr, but she made a believer out of my daughter. months later, she asks about "the alien moon" any time we talk about WDW or space.

It is such a neat area that you could never see the movie and still find it very enjoyable and entertaining. Also check out the Night Blossom drink. DD loved it! she is not a sweet drinks person and drank almost the whole thing!

Why force them to ride Avatar? Save it for when they are older and you will have a reason to come back.

-Paul

We did not watch Avatar before going. My son saw it years ago (he is 15) and my 7 year old daughter had never seen it before. They both still absolutely loved Pandora. Just let the kids fall in love with the scenery and atmosphere without feeling like you have to give them some context. We did not ride FOP because the lines were still over 2-3 hours when we went, but I got us FPs for the river ride and we loved it. It was magical. Participating in the Wilderness Explorer badges passport helped my daughter be more engaged in Animal Kingdom.

Honestly, no matter how much I showed or talked about Pandora with my 8.5 year-old, she was not at all interested in it until we actually arrived in Animal Kingdom. Then it was a whole 'nother ballgame for her! She didn't even seem excited for FOP, which we walked right on, and as soon as the ride was over, she was begging for more! It's her new favorite ride out of all the Disney parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!