How to help a gmer 4.5 year old go on grizzly river run

yipee

Mouseketeer
Hi again!

We have a very ambitious 4.5 year old who is only 40" tall (without shoes). She would really love to do the Grizzly River ride, but the height restriction is 42". Any suggestions? How strict are they about heights?

Thanks again!
Denise

Generally, they are pretty strict about it b/c of safety issues...

DL is pretty strict with the heights to the point that it really isnt worth trying to "beat" them. Plus with most kids having to get measured many times throught the queue and boarding it is up to ANY CM to deny boarding if they do not feel the child is tall enough as if there was a problem it would be those CMs who would be responsible. Yes sadly some take the job more responsibly than others but in the end- would it really be worth it if something were to happen?

If ya want a good water ride- Splash is apparently dousing more than its fair share right now...

-em

Measure her with her shoes on. Our daughter has shoes of different heights, and some days would make the height limit and others would not. Since they don't take the kids shoes off, the height limits have got to include leeway for that.

I've had CMs tell me to have her wear taller shoes next time

While there are ways to "fudge" hieght fractions of an inch. 2 inches is way too much to try. There are reason for the restriction and if your child is not tall enough it is for safety reason that she/he is not allowed to ride.

Wanted to add a couple of comments, I don't think wearing shoes is fudging on a childs height, as they are required to wear shoes, and the majority of my daughters raise her up at least an inch, most shoes I can find are a lot thicker than when I was her age. Also I am not suggesting to try and get around it, just that the parents should measure her with shoes to decided if it is a possiblity. Also she may grow before going. I also don't know how accurate the height measurements at DL are. Some rides we have had no problems with, and others we have. My daughter was able to ride Thunder mountain, Space mountain, and Splash Mountain all in the same day, but was told she was too short (by over an inch) to ride Soarin, and they all have the same height limit, supposedly (they've also since changed the heigh indicators at Soarin so I'm wondering if they were too high). When my daughter is close to a height, I always tell her will see if shes tall enough for them to let her on.

Also some of the indicators at DL/DCA are the type with something sticking out for your head to touch (either 2 bars with something between them, or something sticking out from the sign to touch). My daughter would always duck not wanting to hit her head. We've had to convince her that she wants to hit her head or they won't let her ride.

If a child looks close to the limit, every cm you pass along the way can remeasure your child. They do not care if your child has ridden that ride before, that they measured fine by the last person, that your child has ridden other rides of the same height. So really when they're right at the correct height it's hit or miss on wether they can ride. You can go one time and they're standing tall enough to ride, and five minutes later, they won't pass at all.

Also you daugther may grow before your trip. We had my dd at ped for her 2 1/2 year checkup. She measured 32 inches without shoes. 2 weeks later we were at DL and they had just reopened Matterhorn and changed it from an age limit of 3 to a height limit of 35 inches. Just for fun I decided to see how far from the limit she was. We walked her up and the CM said she passes, so we got in line. Came back to where the CM was and they had changed people. So he measured her, still passed. Got to the front of the line, still passed. We were sitting in the sled about stopped right before going into the mountain and the CM from the control booth called down and said he needed to have her remeasure. She had to get out, and get remeasured where the CM in the booth could see her and get back in before they would let us go. So either she grew in those 2 weeks, or the height at the ped or DL was wrong.

Donna

It was real hit and miss when we were there - my youngest was 44" and walked straight on to most rides without a glance - but on others was pulled aside and carefully measured.

But, as mentioned above, the measurement is with shoes on so measure you child with shoes on. If that doesn't work get something with a slightly thicker sole.

As a final resort one tip I saw was to put lifts in the shoes - this is very uncomfortable but you only need the lifts for the measuring, then take them out once the ride is over.

If you have a fe months yet, I would have thought a child at 42" without shoes would easily make 44" with shoes by the time you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter