How to pack light with kids

cndmama05

Mouseketeer
We are going to do the unthinkable and attempt not to check any bags for our upcoming cruise. We are flying in and will be picked up at the airport by FIL so we can stop at a walmart or target before going to the port. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids (13, 2, 6). We will bring a personal item and carry on each. Please help me decide what to bring and what yo buy once we get there! Thanks!

If you're stopping to buy more things at Wal-mart, are you going to have to throw things out before you fly home?

If you're stopping to buy more things at Wal-mart, are you going to have to throw things out before you fly home?

I am thinking if we buy toiletries then yes we will throw them out. And we would also we buying diapers and wipes which will be used up.

Unless you can do laundry on the boar you will, obviously, need to pack all the clothes you need for the entire cruise. What else would you need?

We just got back from a cruise and tried to do the same thing. Obviously enough underwear since you can't do laundry on the cruise and we kept it very simple clothes wise, we made sure we had bathing suits, only two pair of shoes each (besides the ones we wore) and the other thing to make sure to get BEFORE you get on board the boat is sunscreen. I heard people talking about how expensive it was once on board. We had taken a few bottles with us so did not have to worry. Since the boat had towels to take to the pool, don't bring those but maybe one of your "personal items" could be a bag that you could take tot he pool, that is what we did and daughter carried that one. We did pay for 1 bag, which is what we carried all our disposable stuff in since we weren't going to a store so maybe try to pack everyone in their carry on and if you have a lot left, put it in there. I can't imagine carrying a 2 year old, their luggage, what they need on the plane all on. I think maybe if you packed the baby's stuff in a checked bag with everything else you can't carry on, that would make things a lot cheaper. Have a great time

We just got back from a cruise and tried to do the same thing. Obviously enough underwear since you can't do laundry on the cruise and we kept it very simple clothes wise, we made sure we had bathing suits, only two pair of shoes each (besides the ones we wore) and the other thing to make sure to get BEFORE you get on board the boat is sunscreen. I heard people talking about how expensive it was once on board. We had taken a few bottles with us so did not have to worry. Since the boat had towels to take to the pool, don't bring those but maybe one of your "personal items" could be a bag that you could take tot he pool, that is what we did and daughter carried that one. We did pay for 1 bag, which is what we carried all our disposable stuff in since we weren't going to a store so maybe try to pack everyone in their carry on and if you have a lot left, put it in there. I can't imagine carrying a 2 year old, their luggage, what they need on the plane all on. I think maybe if you packed the baby's stuff in a checked bag with everything else you can't carry on, that would make things a lot cheaper. Have a great time

Yes thank you. I guess we will check 1 bag just to put stuff we can't carry on. I totally forgot about the formal wear so yes we will need that extra space.

Having no checked bags was a nice thought right?

I did it this past Spring to Alaska, but no babies involved. We all just packed carefully,with mix and match clothing (it wasn't easy b;c of the temp changes) but I figured at worst we could rinse something in the sink of needed, or pay 20 bucks for a bag of laundry to be done(we didn't need to) for formal, we did 'formal light'.... I wore a skirt and a top/necklace that looked dressier, the guys wore a shirt and tie with chino type dress pants that could also double as regular pants if desired elsewhere.... I saw some people at formal night in polo shirts.... I see no reason why it can't be done. Esp. if it's a warm weather cruise. We all brought our standard one carryon size suitcase and a backpack. (packing for cold weather etc was toughest)

Yes thank you. I guess we will check 1 bag just to put stuff we can't carry on. I totally forgot about the formal wear so yes we will need that extra space.

Having no checked bags was a nice thought right?
It is, we tried but found we just could not do it! At least 1 bag wasn't too bad extra cost

Pretty much any type and duration of travel I do can be accomplished using one 22"-24" bag per person. For a cruise or business trip that would include clothing that is worn once or twice and no more.

Let's start this way to try to get to your ideal goal:

How long is the cruise? Are you changing to a different type of weather from home to travel and back again? Meaning will you start wearing summer gear than switch to fall for instance? What do you mean by "We will bring a personal item and carry on each"? I get the carry on part but am confused by a personal item. What is it that you want to buy at Walmart's that is disposable? Toiletries pass what you'll find in your room or something else beyond the youngest' needs?

Pretty much any type and duration of travel I do can be accomplished using one 22"-24" bag per person. For a cruise or business trip that would include clothing that is worn once or twice and no more.

Let's start this way to try to get to your ideal goal:

How long is the cruise? Are you changing to a different type of weather from home to travel and back again? Meaning will you start wearing summer gear than switch to fall for instance? What do you mean by "We will bring a personal item and carry on each"? I get the carry on part but am confused by a personal item. What is it that you want to buy at Walmart's that is disposable? Toiletries pass what you'll find in your room or something else beyond the youngest' needs?

Hi, thanks for your reply!
We are going on a 6 night carribean cruise leaving in january which means it will be dead in the middle of winter where we are from.
To answer your question, the personal item is a backpack or small bag to fit under the airplane seat.
For disposable items I was thinking diapers, wipes, toiletries thats about it.
I'm not actually sure what else I could get away with not bringing

Hi, thanks for your reply!
We are going on a 6 night carribean cruise leaving in january which means it will be dead in the middle of winter where we are from.
To answer your question, the personal item is a backpack or small bag to fit under the airplane seat.
For disposable items I was thinking diapers, wipes, toiletries thats about it.
I'm not actually sure what else I could get away with not bringing

OK and it sounds like fun going from blustery winter to the heat of the Caribbean :cool:.

First there is the cold to warm to cold travel needs. This is a great time to pull out your down/ poly fill vests or slim no longer than hip length jackets. They pack easily once you smush the air out and since they'll only need storage space during the actual cruise no need to think of packing them in the suitcases. Tie the sleeved type around your waist on your way from airport to ship then ultimately into the closet they go. Or wrap them around your waist. You can also put them in individual ditty bags to hang on each piece of luggage's telescoping handles en route to the ship. Store cold weather accessories like gloves and hats in pockets or sleeves and now the entire ensemble is easy to find when next needed.

I tend to wear my heaviest hardest to pack shoes for this plane travel which tends to equal sneakers. 'Course in today's world of taking shoes off for TSA (mothers of the world rejoice! You now know none of your children have holes in their socks and and they're clean too:tongue:) Velcro closing or heel-less footwear are your friend. My personal favs are from this company since they are always in production and come in a variety of colours. I tend to buy 2 pairs every year or 2; one that's neutral in color and matches most of my wardrobe, the other in some wild color for fun (this year it was lime green canvas and the other in gold mini sequins, LOL):

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/easy-spirit-travelport-mules?ID=2911548&CategoryID=27902#fn=SHOE_TYPE=Mules&sp=1&spc=26&ruleId=105&slotId=4

Great for walking, light hiking, in city or country. They've been on cruises, campsites, the occasional farm, business and pleasure trips overseas and domestically with me since I've discovered them 15 odd years back. I'm sure you can find something similar in your closet or a local store. You can also swap out espadrilles for sneakers as long as jogging isn't part of your trip.

For a 6 day cruise, I'd take

3-4 bottoms which can be a combo of shorts, capris and skirts on my end. You can swap out pants if you're not a skirt person. I tend towards dark bottoms since they show less oops moments.
1 sun dress
5-6 tops...mostly single coloured t shirts w/ no graphics make me happy as they can readily mix and match from one outfit to another.
Lingerie for a week in whatever permutation makes you comfy.
1 pair of socks and/or hose again optional based on your needs.
1 purse sized fold up umbrella or rain poncho takes care of possible weather needs.
As a mother with diaper wearing children, a large pocketbook that still looks stylish without the gear. Black was always my multi-functional fav with the more organisational pockets, the better, and a zippered top so nothing falls out or gets pilfered.

I'm an aficionado of figuring out in advance color coordinating clothing. Could be white and blue; white and black; shades of tan khaki...whatever makes you happy. I add additional colors with accessories like scarves, hair ornaments and costume jewelry.
Rolling clothing as opposed to many other organizational systems is low tech, costs nothing but time, saves space and has worked for me since my first long trip (should have lasted 6 weeks and became almost 6 months; ahh, the joys of cheap traveling w/ little responsibility in the '70's).

I'm assuming that a 6 day cruise has only 1 formal night so that makes life easier. I'm a lover of silk chiffon and/or georgette dresses since they fit the occasion, take little space in the suitcase and lose any wrinkles via a steamy bathroom stay. A colour coordinated knit cardigan makes a nice topper, weighs less than some of the beaded versions and as well can be utilised during less formal use as well. Can't do w/o the beading? Add a rhinestone brooch.

I'm a "puhleese let me take my shoes off under the table" person so dress shoes tend to be a solid metallic kitty heeled mule. Packs easy too. This doesn't mean I haven't been salivating over the lower heeled brocade mules of late but I digress.

If for a change of pace I want one dressier top I wuvvvvv this company's offerings: Anne Fountaine. There are many companies that do knock offs at different price points. No fussy need to be ironed ruffles/pleats, easy wash and dry materials- what's not to love wearing a white shirt with a simple skirt or pants of what every length you prefer? Add a scarf as head band, belt or at neck as you choose or throw on a long necklace or 2 and you are dressed with minimum fuss.

Nowwwww your specific question was how to pack for children and I weally dinna forget that, LOL. Take the above philosophy and "mini me" it:D.

Colorful t shirts; a polo shirt or two for dressier occasions, dressier cargo/camp shorts (Ralph Lauren/ J. Crew's children's' line and Jacadi makes nice ones that happen to be on sale this time of year) or a polo dress for a girl or 2 (also on sale now) and yes, the pleated bottom versions are fine as the material will also lose it's wrinkles in a hot shower; a pair of sandals, flip flops or fisherman's rubber sandals for pool, night out or light outdoor activities and a pair of sneakers and they are fine.

I'm in the middle of stocking up for a 12 day trip to DW this Christmas (we'll be eating at many signatures and I despise the prices of resort wear later in the season) for my by then 12 y/o DGD and this is what is going in her suitcase:

8 j crewcut colorful t shirts with sequined flamingos, planet earth and assorted other bedazzled graphics. Yesss it's more than I might have bought my own kiddos (I'm a sink washer from wayyyyyy back) but but I'm a grandmother and can do what I want, when I want and tell my children accordingly, LOL.

A matches most hoodie works as a blanket replacement on a plane as well as on the cruise.

5-6 pairs of dark neutral colored mostly solid leggings and yoga pants, 1 pair of white dressy shorts (the mere fact that they are white makes 'em dressy:D), a French blue and white striped t shirt top with hair accessories to match (Claire's is your low cost stylish friend) since it'll make us both semi happy (she recently told me I ALWAYS buy something striped for my idea of dressy with a slight rolling of eyes; told her I'm glad she knows me for the classicist I am and run to the dictionary for a better definition. Life is always a learning experience with me, LOL).

2-3 bathing suits works on a cruise ship trip. Target's currently is having a clearance sale and this site has goodies particularly for women:

https://www.c21stores.com/categories/women-swimsuits-cover-ups?swimsuits_and_cover_ups_type[]=one+piece

1- 2 pairs of pjs.

A navy and ivory wide striped polished cotton skirt with a navy blue elastic waist band to be worn with any light coloured t- shirt (w/i reason) for resort formal wear and whatever metallic sandals we both agree on finishes off her shoe inventory. A worn once white cotton dress with a rhinestone necklace dress for the formal night will make her comfy and me feel like she's dressed enough for the occasion.
Errr I also found a gorgeous Lily Pulitzer dress on our last DW trip that we both think is the cat's meow but unfortunately they dinna have in her size. Thank goodness for the internet and poshmark.com since I found it gently used in her size and will surprise her with it when we unpack.

Just think carefully about what is truly needed on a daily basis, color coordinate your childrens' wardrobe, get low maintenance clothing that roll with ease and you'll be fine. Pack everything ahead of time in a tryo moment and you'll better know that the goods can fit in your suitcases. Anyone has leftover space in their bags? Stuff in someone else's stuff. Make sure that your personal bags are big enough for 1 change of clothing, meds and immediate need toiletries and I wont have to tell you about the time we missed the plane to P.R. (illness), caught another plane to a different locale, and then ran through the custom line in Jamaica talking mad patois, to our ship having to climb up the side of the boat via a tugboat. Oh and my then husband swore he needed tails for that trip's formal night.
I know how to dress and enjoy it but but going to my grave with that visual.

Oh right and a wristlet can carry your daily essentials in an oversized pocketbook plus work as an evening bag if you get a metallic or solid black.

HTH!

Last edited:
OK and it sounds like fun going from blustery winter to the heat of the Caribbean :cool:.

First there is the cold to warm to cold travel needs. This is a great time to pull out your down/ poly fill vests or slim no longer than hip length jackets. They pack easily once you smush the air out and since they'll only need storage space during the actual cruise no need to think of packing them in the suitcases. Tie the sleeved type around your waist on your way from airport to ship then ultimately into the closet they go. Or wrap them around your waist. You can also put them in individual ditty bags to hang on each piece of luggage's telescoping handles en route to the ship. Store cold weather accessories like gloves and hats in pockets or sleeves and now the entire ensemble is easy to find when next needed.

I tend to wear my heaviest hardest to pack shoes for this plane travel which tends to equal sneakers. 'Course in today's world of taking shoes off for TSA (mothers of the world rejoice! You now know none of your children have holes in their socks and and they're clean too:tongue:) Velcro closing or heel-less footwear are your friend. My personal favs are from this company since they are always in production and come in a variety of colours. I tend to buy 2 pairs every year or 2; one that's neutral in color and matches most of my wardrobe, the other in some wild color for fun (this year it was lime green canvas and the other in gold mini sequins, LOL):

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/easy-spirit-travelport-mules?ID=2911548&CategoryID=27902#fn=SHOE_TYPE=Mules&sp=1&spc=26&ruleId=105&slotId=4

Great for walking, light hiking, in city or country. They've been on cruises, campsites, the occasional farm, business and pleasure trips overseas and domestically with me since I've discovered them 15 odd years back. I'm sure you can find something similar in your closet or a local store. You can also swap out espadrilles for sneakers as long as jogging isn't part of your trip.

For a 6 day cruise, I'd take

3-4 bottoms which can be a combo of shorts, capris and skirts on my end. You can swap out pants if you're not a skirt person. I tend towards dark bottoms since they show less oops moments.
1 sun dress
5-6 tops...mostly single coloured t shirts w/ no graphics make me happy as they can readily mix and match from one outfit to another.
Lingerie for a week in whatever permutation makes you comfy.
1 pair of socks and/or hose again optional based on your needs.
1 purse sized fold up umbrella or rain poncho takes care of possible weather needs.
As a mother with diaper wearing children, a large pocketbook that still looks stylish without the gear. Black was always my multi-functional fav with the more organisational pockets, the better, and a zippered top so nothing falls out or gets pilfered.

I'm an aficionado of figuring out in advance color coordinating clothing. Could be white and blue; white and black; shades of tan khaki...whatever makes you happy. I add additional colors with accessories like scarves, hair ornaments and costume jewelry.
Rolling clothing as opposed to many other organizational systems is low tech, costs nothing but time, saves space and has worked for me since my first long trip (should have lasted 6 weeks and became almost 6 months; ahh, the joys of cheap traveling w/ little responsibility in the '70's).

I'm assuming that a 6 day cruise has only 1 formal night so that makes life easier. I'm a lover of silk chiffon and/or georgette dresses since they fit the occasion, take little space in the suitcase and lose any wrinkles via a steamy bathroom stay. A colour coordinated knit cardigan makes a nice topper, weighs less than some of the beaded versions and as well can be utilised during less formal use as well. Can't do w/o the beading? Add a rhinestone brooch.

I'm a "puhleese let me take my shoes off under the table" person so dress shoes tend to be a solid metallic kitty heeled mule. Packs easy too. This doesn't mean I haven't been salivating over the lower heeled brocade mules of late but I digress.

If for a change of pace I want one dressier top I wuvvvvv this company's offerings: Anne Fountaine. There are many companies that do knock offs at different price points. No fussy need to be ironed ruffles/pleats, easy wash and dry materials- what's not to love wearing a white shirt with a simple skirt or pants of what every length you prefer? Add a scarf as head band, belt or at neck as you choose or throw on a long necklace or 2 and you are dressed with minimum fuss.

Nowwwww your specific question was how to pack for children and I weally dinna forget that, LOL. Take the above philosophy and "mini me" it:D.

Colorful t shirts; a polo shirt or two for dressier occasions, dressier cargo/camp shorts (Ralph Lauren/ J. Crew's children's' line and Jacadi makes nice ones that happen to be on sale this time of year) or a polo dress for a girl or 2 (also on sale now) and yes, the pleated bottom versions are fine as the material will also lose it's wrinkles in a hot shower; a pair of sandals, flip flops or fisherman's rubber sandals for pool, night out or light outdoor activities and a pair of sneakers and they are fine.

I'm in the middle of stocking up for a 12 day trip to DW this Christmas (we'll be eating at many signatures and I despise the prices of resort wear later in the season) for my by then 12 y/o DGD and this is what is going in her suitcase:

8 j crewcut colorful t shirts with sequined flamingos, planet earth and assorted other bedazzled graphics. Yesss it's more than I might have bought my own kiddos (I'm a sink washer from wayyyyyy back) but but I'm a grandmother and can do what I want, when I want and tell my children accordingly, LOL.

A matches most hoodie works as a blanket replacement on a plane as well as on the cruise.

5-6 pairs of dark neutral colored mostly solid leggings and yoga pants, 1 pair of white dressy shorts (the mere fact that they are white makes 'em dressy:D), a French blue and white striped t shirt top with hair accessories to match (Claire's is your low cost stylish friend) since it'll make us both semi happy (she recently told me I ALWAYS buy something striped for my idea of dressy with a slight rolling of eyes; told her I'm glad she knows me for the classicist I am and run to the dictionary for a better definition. Life is always a learning experience with me, LOL).

2-3 bathing suits works on a cruise ship trip. Target's currently is having a clearance sale and this site has goodies particularly for women:

https://www.c21stores.com/categories/women-swimsuits-cover-ups?swimsuits_and_cover_ups_type[]=one+piece

1- 2 pairs of pjs.

A navy and ivory wide striped polished cotton skirt with a navy blue elastic waist band to be worn with any light coloured t- shirt (w/i reason) for resort formal wear and whatever metallic sandals we both agree on finishes off her shoe inventory. A worn once white cotton dress with a rhinestone necklace dress for the formal night will make her comfy and me feel like she's dressed enough for the occasion.
Errr I also found a gorgeous Lily Pulitzer dress on our last DW trip that we both think is the cat's meow but unfortunately they dinna have in her size. Thank goodness for the internet and poshmark.com since I found it gently used in her size and will surprise her with it when we unpack.

Just think carefully about what is truly needed on a daily basis, color coordinate your childrens' wardrobe, get low maintenance clothing that roll with ease and you'll be fine. Pack everything ahead of time in a tryo moment and you'll better know that the goods can fit in your suitcases. Anyone has leftover space in their bags? Stuff in someone else's stuff. Make sure that your personal bags are big enough for 1 change of clothing, meds and immediate need toiletries and I wont have to tell you about the time we missed the plane to P.R. (illness), caught another plane to a different locale, and then ran through the custom line in Jamaica talking mad patois, to our ship having to climb up the side of the boat via a tugboat. Oh and my then husband swore he needed tails for that trip's formal night.
I know how to dress and enjoy it but but going to my grave with that visual.

Oh right and a wristlet can carry your daily essentials in an oversized pocketbook plus work as an evening bag if you get a metallic or solid black.

HTH!

Wow! Thank you so much for all the help!

The above post is an excellent start. It can be done. We never check luggage and we've travelled with infant twins and another child. Buying the diapers/wipes at your destination is a good idea. Just pare everything down to the essentials and I guarantee you will be able to fit everything you need. Don't just throw clothes in. Literally plan out day by day, outfit by outfit. The kids' clothes are small--you will be able to fit lots.

One suggestion is the Osprey 40 backpack. It is carry on size, but you carry it on your back rather than roll it. I've found backpacks essential for carry on travel with kids. I need both hands free at all times. My personal item is a cross body purse.

Also, I would not bring a bag for the two year old. My kids didn't bring carry on until they were old enough to carry/roll their own bags. Even giving up the two year old's bag, you can do it. We used to joke that our twins were luggage.

Losing the luggage is so freeing. You'll move through airports quickly, get on and off the ship with ease

We always do carry-on only, including for a 15 day trip.
We use packing cubes, carefully plan what we pack, do laundry every 5th day and do a Walmart run when we get there for sunblock,snacks, case of water, etc.

Another idea that is cruise ship only useful. No idea if you've ever been on a cruise before so excuse me if you know this already. Start making the biggest gaudiest looking pom poms that you can tie to your luggage. They'll help when you disembark and are trying to locate your luggage in the football field of mostly black luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter