How well do they do for diabetics?

David Gardner

Earning My Ears
Upcoming trip is my first after having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I'm wondering how well the table service restaurants will be able to accomodate low-carb requirements. The main part of the entrees are no problem (as long as, like me, you're a carnivore and you watch the sauces), but many of the entrees I would order spec out something like mashed potatoes as a side, and some have a whole bunch of things I just can't have.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm assuming that if I give them a heads up while making the ADR I won't have an issue, but I'd like to get other people's experiences.

one Disney doe does not do carb counting.

but they will submit something for something else they have. I would not worry about giving them a heads up as soon as you say the word that you are diabetic they think you just can not have sugar and will give you no sugar option, and this can be just as bad if not worst. most places you can find low carb foods just fine, and remember with all the extra walking your BG might be lower then you are used to.

As PP mentions, carb counts aren't readily available; use whatever reference you have for home (app, book, etc.) to estimate. Table service restaurants will be more likely to accommodate a "substitution" or other special request than counter service locations. We don't note our ADR's and DH has never had trouble finding appropriate food. Keep in mind that with all the walking plus the heat, you may be much more likely to run "low" and therefore that little extra treat can be allowed. I suggest bringing at least triple your usual testing supplies, or more, and test frequently.

Enjoy your vacation!

We tend to go to the buffets. That way you pick what you eat. In MK you have Crystal Palace. In Epcot, there's Biergarten. In Hollywood Studios there's Hollywood and Vine. In AK, you have Tusker House.

There are side orders on most menus at the regular table services; so, you can pick and choose and go ala carte. Salads are everywhere.

If you take insulin we usually bump the amount when we go to eat. We do this with our doctor's okay.

you can typically request plain steamed veggies in lieu of potatoes or other starchy sides. its usually no problem to get the side from Option A with your Option B meal. or a salad.

With every table service I've been at, the sever will ask if you have any dietary restrictions. Even if they don't ask, you can tell them. If necessary, the chef can talk to you and make something suitable to your dietary needs.

Yeah, I definitely test more often at WDW. I'm T1, so I know everything's not the same, but the heat, humidity, fatigue, and overstimulation all easily mask the signs of hypoglycemia.

I also agree with not telling them you have diabetes - they just instantly go for the no sugar and sugar substitutes. One of my worst experiences at a TS place was telling the chef my son had type 1. Their sugar free stuff can be as carby as the regular item when it comes to dessert - YMMV on how that affects your blood sugar. You may already know this but items with sorbitol can cause terrible diarrhea for some folks if the sugar free item is sweetened with it so you may want to check that also. My son has type 1 diabetes (and serious food allergies) and we've never had problems substituting items at TS or QS restaurants. I agree that TS places you have better odds of getting a chef that will help you out - and buffets can be good too

Really, I must agree with not telling them you are diabetic, things affect everyone differently. My wife is diabetic and as long as there is protein in the meal, carbs don't really affect her blood sugar. Sugar of course will, but some natural sweeteners like Agave won't, but I know others that it seems like if they even look at carbs or the natural sweeteners and their blood sugar skyrockets.

This is why saying things like "diabetic" doesn't really help, as it doesn't tell them what you actually need based on how your body reacts.

A previous poster mentioned several buffets in the parks. There are a few more I believe. Don't forget the one's at the resorts. The ones that come to mind are 1900 Park Fare at the GF, Cape May for dinner at the BC, Boma at AKL for any meal. There are sites where you can look at the menus. If you do this you will have more of an idea what is available to you and it might make it easier to pick the resteraunts you want to eat at.

My son in law is a Type 1 diabetic, he has been to Disney many times and never had to request anything special. He counts the carbs himself by searching online and just estimates if he is not sure. He used to be on the road for work 300+ days a year and always managed to eat from a regular menu. It just takes some getting used to I am sure.

And to add that it is useful to talk to the chef at TS places - even buffets - if you want to know what items may have a sweet/sugary sauce added if you can't tell by looking. Or to ask questions like "is there sugar added to the cut fruit?" and what not. For non-buffet TS restaurants, you can ask for "more green beans less potatoes" or double green beans - as an example.

Some with type 1 diabetes could take more insulin to cover the sugar and carbs (YMMV - not the easiest) but type 2 is it's own beast when it comes to carbs and balancing things out. All of the walking really does put a different spin on things...which will hopefully spin such that you can throw in some dole whips - lol!

Upcoming trip is my first after having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I'm wondering how well the table service restaurants will be able to accomodate low-carb requirements. The main part of the entrees are no problem (as long as, like me, you're a carnivore and you watch the sauces), but many of the entrees I would order spec out something like mashed potatoes as a side, and some have a whole bunch of things I just can't have.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm assuming that if I give them a heads up while making the ADR I won't have an issue, but I'd like to get other people's experiences.

Everyone I know with type 2 learns to manage their own diets, this is not something that Disney is equipped to handle. You're not allergic, just need to be responsible and balance your food groups according to your own body's needs. The most they would try to do is give you 'sugar free' which is not what you need at all.

With every table service I've been at, the sever will ask if you have any dietary restrictions. Even if they don't ask, you can tell them. If necessary, the chef can talk to you and make something suitable to your dietary needs.

This would be a 'no-no' for a diabetic. You don't have that many restrictions - just 'balance' for your particular body needs! Don't mention your diabetic status to them - doesn't help at all.

Everyone I know with type 2 learns to manage their own diets, this is not something that Disney is equipped to handle.

I'm not asking them to manage my diet. On the other hand, if I'm spending a chunk of change for a good meal, I am expecting them to give me a reasonable substitute for the mashed potatoes that would otherwise accompany my steak.

I am expecting them to give me a reasonable substitute for the mashed potatoes that would otherwise accompany my steak.

You do not need to give them advance notice to do this just ask whoever take your order what you can have instead of potato or I would like to have more veggies instead of potato. all of Disney menus are online you can easily look at them and find a place that serves the food you can east even if you need to mix and match to make the best for your self.

I'm not asking them to manage my diet. On the other hand, if I'm spending a chunk of change for a good meal, I am expecting them to give me a reasonable substitute for the mashed potatoes that would otherwise accompany my steak.

Was just responding to your original post that wondering if notifying Disney in advance would help you with low carb needs. If you are just looking for a substitute for a veggie, not something they'd need advance notice for, is not usually an issue at Disney, as anyone can do this (if available).

I don't put on my ADRs that I have type 2. I might tell the server what I need, but usually I just ask for salad dressing on the side, sauce on the side, etc. As others have said, we don't want anyone assuming we want a sugarfree substitute, unless we know what we are getting and we request it. My husband and I share some things. He is a bigger eater than I am, yet we each get enough to eat. Some places we have to make clear that we are not asking for a split entrée and two full servings of sides. There are certainly things I choose not to eat, but I can plan for some things and eat a partial portion. If the walking at WDW is more exercise than you are used to having, you may find that your blood glucose is not rising as high as it would in other circumstances. Be sure to stay hydrated and test more often. Bring extra supplies and carry food/glucose gel or tablets and water with you. You might even go lower than you expect and sooner than you expect due to walking, perspiring, being off your regular schedule.

I think the best thing you can do is go in with a good understanding of how many carbs you can eat at a time and not spike your blood sugar, along with an app that lets you search similar food options for the carb counts (FitnessPal, LoseIt, etc.).

I find eating out very easy - pick a meat-based entree, then look at the other entrees to see if they have better choices for the sides (because you know they have those items available). I usually am able to keep it low carb enough in a restaurant to have a few bites of a real dessert if I so desire.

Really, I must agree with not telling them you are diabetic, things affect everyone differently. My wife is diabetic and as long as there is protein in the meal, carbs don't really affect her blood sugar. Sugar of course will, but some natural sweeteners like Agave won't, but I know others that it seems like if they even look at carbs or the natural sweeteners and their blood sugar skyrockets.

This is why saying things like "diabetic" doesn't really help, as it doesn't tell them what you actually need based on how your body reacts.

It's interesting that agave doesn't affect her blood sugar, as it is a sugar - fructose for the most part, but there's glucose and a touch of sucrose in there too. All carbs, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!