How's the dog thing going?

Maybe a silly thought but...
I'd think that Disney could tell if an on-sight guest was trying to enter a theme park with a pet dog (as opposed to a service dog). Disney collects all the information it needs. If someone entered a theme park with a magic band and had a dog with them, why can't a CM "view" some sort of profile that indicates the guest is staying at a pet-friendly resort and has registered a pet dog and is paying the additional fee per night. Seems like this would be a pretty simple way of making sure that the people who have registered a pet dog to the resort room do not then bring them into the parks.

This wouldn't stop off-sight guests from bringing pets into the parks, but it would cut down on on-sight pet dogs making their way into the parks. Am I missing something, or could Disney make this work with the magic bands and all of the technology they already employ?

I'd assume that people who are staying at a resort with a service dog don't pay the additional fee. So, as far as on-sight dogs are concerned, wouldn't it be easy to tell which were service dogs and which were pet dogs just by seeing whether they are paying the additional per-night fee?

Maybe a silly thought but...
I'd think that Disney could tell if an on-sight guest was trying to enter a theme park with a pet dog (as opposed to a service dog). Disney collects all the information it needs. If someone entered a theme park with a magic band and had a dog with them, why can't a CM "view" some sort of profile that indicates the guest is staying at a pet-friendly resort and has registered a pet dog and is paying the additional fee per night. Seems like this would be a pretty simple way of making sure that the people who have registered a pet dog to the resort room do not then bring them into the parks.

This wouldn't stop off-sight guests from bringing pets into the parks, but it would cut down on on-sight pet dogs making their way into the parks. Am I missing something, or could Disney make this work with the magic bands and all of the technology they already employ?

I'd assume that people who are staying at a resort with a service dog don't pay the additional fee. So, as far as on-sight dogs are concerned, wouldn't it be easy to tell which were service dogs and which were pet dogs just by seeing whether they are paying the additional per-night fee?

Great idea!!

If anything, everyone should be more concerned about a wild animal bite (which is MORE LIKELY to harm you than a service dog treated with vaccinations)!

The list of things that Disney "invites" that can cause injury to another guest is endless. There are liabilities everywhere and I trust Disney is smart enough to have weighed the consequences when they made this decision as well. Your fear of being bitten is equal to my fear of getting some horrible viral disease that someone has but still came to the parks because Disney still invites them as well.

The anger towards Disney for this new policy is misdirected, and if people are angry they need to relay their concerns to the government. The ADA and other legislative acts demand or support these animals in public areas, and Disney has chosen to follow that trend.

No, the ADA and other legislative acts do not demand or support pet dogs in hotels. Those acts revolve around service dogs, which is not what people are angry about. People are angry about the allowance of pets in the resorts. It’s already been demonstrated that some folks aren’t following the rules when it comes to their pets.

No, the ADA and other legislative acts do not demand or support pet dogs in hotels. Those acts revolve around service dogs, which is not what people are angry about. People are angry about the allowance of pets in the resorts. It’s already been demonstrated that some folks aren’t following the rules when it comes to their pets.
No most ppl on this thread are saying that they’re upset or concerned about the uptick of dogs IN THE PARKS. They are blaming that on the new policy. If ADA were stricter, WDW could enforce ppl faking service dogs & bringing them in the parks. But, with current ADA laws, it’s easy to lie. Some ppl were/are upset about the policy, but I think that’s been argued ad nausem on previous closed threads. This thread is about how it’s going. As stated by a pp, most accounts are it’s going fine w/ not much issue. There are a few rules breakers like their are with most things, but otherwise, it hasn’t yet been the apocalyptic situation so many predicted.

No most ppl on this thread are saying that they’re upset or concerned about the uptick of dogs IN THE PARKS. They are blaming that on the new policy. If ADA were stricter, WDW could enforce ppl faking service dogs & bringing them in the parks. But, with current ADA laws, it’s easy to lie. Some ppl were/are upset about the policy, but I think that’s been argued ad nausem on previous closed threads. This thread is about how it’s going. As stated by a pp, most accounts are it’s going fine w/ not much issue. There are a few rules breakers like their are with most things, but otherwise, it hasn’t yet been the apocalyptic situation so many predicted.

The original post was addressing the new policy about dogs at the resorts. That’s the subject of this post. Some people have gone off on tangents about dogs in the parks.

There are a lot of people upset about pet dogs being allowed in some of the resorts.

The original post was addressing the new policy about dogs at the resorts. That’s the subject of this post. Some people have gone off on tangents about dogs in the parks.

There are a lot of people upset about pet dogs being allowed in some of the resorts.
Right, but like I said it’s hard to say anything new about that on either side. Your post that I responded to was b/c you told the pp that ADA laws had nothing to do with anything. But, it absolutely has to do with what he/she was talking about which was more dogs being seen in the parks.

Yes, you are absolutely right that the ADA has nothing to do with pet dogs. However, since this thread has evolved quite a bit since the original issue of pets in resorts, I was responding to the general growth of dogs in public places (resorts or parks) and that growth is due to the law. The ADA, and other state legislature, strictly limits the questioning about service dogs, leaving the enforcement of service dog versus pet exceptionally difficult for corporations.

Right, but like I said it’s hard to say anything new about that on either side. Your post that I responded to was b/c you told the pp that ADA laws had nothing to do with anything. But, it absolutely has to do with what he/she was talking about which was more dogs being seen in the parks.

That is absolutely not at all what I said. I said that the ADA/legislative acts don’t have anything to do with dogs in hotels.

The poster I quoted indicated that the ADA and legislative acts support pets in public areas, which actually isn’t true either. These laws ONLY deal with service animals.

Yes, you are absolutely right that the ADA has nothing to do with pet dogs. However, since this thread has evolved quite a bit since the original issue of pets in resorts, I was responding to the general growth of dogs in public places (resorts or parks) and that growth is due to the law. The ADA, and other state legislature, strictly limits the questioning about service dogs, leaving the enforcement of service dog versus pet exceptionally difficult for corporations.

Right, but Disney’s new policy is the allowance of pet dogs in hotel rooms. This has nothing to do with the ADA. Nothing else has changed. Disney was, and still is, compliant with the ADA in regards to service animals. But people who are upset about Disney now allowing pets in hotel rooms should absolutely be upset with Disney, not the government, as their new policy has zilch to do with any laws.

Let's have one last try....

We have gone very far afield from the original purpose of this thread, which was a check-in on how the new policy on dogs in resorts was working out. That's a good, useful topic for those planning stays at the resorts. At the very least, it gives posters a place to express concerns about the resort policy.

Can we get back to that, please?

If you wish to discuss the presence of dogs in theme parks, feel free to start a thread on the Theme Parks board.

Right, but Disney’s new policy is the allowance of pet dogs in hotel rooms. This has nothing to do with the ADA. Nothing else has changed. Disney was, and still is, compliant with the ADA in regards to service animals. But people who are upset about Disney now allowing pets in hotel rooms should absolutely be upset with Disney, not the government, as their new policy has zilch to do with any laws.

Missing my point completely, as I am trying to speak about it as a greater growth effecting Disney's decision making about allowing pets in the hotel rooms, but I will respect the moderator's request and leave it at that. Have a good day!

I look forward to seeing how the policy goes!

What do people do with their pets/service dogs when they go on the rides. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to take their dog into the parks. Even if I needed a service dog I wouldn't want to take them into the park unless I absolutely couldn't function without them...like a seeing eye dog. You can't take the dog on rides so they are kind of useless if you plan on riding anything.

What do people do with their pets/service dogs when they go on the rides. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to take their dog into the parks. Even if I needed a service dog I wouldn't want to take them into the park unless I absolutely couldn't function without them...like a seeing eye dog. You can't take the dog on rides so they are kind of useless if you plan on riding anything.

There are kennels at the rides for service dogs, at least at Disneyland. BUT this is about dogs at resorts

There are kennels at the rides for service dogs, at least at Disneyland. BUT this is about dogs at resorts
Well I was just curious. I don't recall ever seeing a dog in the parks, but I started thinking about it and started wondering what you would do with it if you wanted to go on a ride.

As far as dogs in the hotels. I can't fathom wanting to take your dog on vacation. I do have a few coworkers that have opted not to have kids and they treat their dogs like their kids...so maybe it's these people. I for one always leave my dog at the dog hotel even for short trips or overnight stays.

Well I was just curious. I don't recall ever seeing a dog in the parks, but I started thinking about it and started wondering what you would do with it if you wanted to go on a ride.

As far as dogs in the hotels. I can't fathom wanting to take your dog on vacation. I do have a few coworkers that have opted not to have kids and they treat their dogs like their kids...so maybe it's these people. I for one always leave my dog at the dog hotel even for short trips or overnight stays.

We have a dog and no kids but she stays in a kennel when we vacation. We did take our former dog on road trips but we went to places that were very pet friendly and could have her with us a lot of the time but if we had to leave her in the room we would come back to check on her to make sure she was good on water and take her out on walks. I could not imagine having a dog at Disney or most trips we take. We are usually at parks from open to close or whatever trip we go on we are out all day and like the freedom. We know she is well taken care of and having fun where she is.

I'm pretty sure it's not just those of us who chose not to have kids, so we treat our pets like kids :rolleyes:, that bring pets to the resort.

It most likely runs the gamut. In fact, I'd be willing to wager it's more retirees/couples who raised their kids that bring their small dogs on vacation with them. I know a lot of couples that fit that profile that travel all over with their dogs.

I'm pretty sure it's not just those of us who chose not to have kids, so we treat our pets like kids :rolleyes:, that bring pets to the resort.

It most likely runs the gamut. In fact, I'd be willing to wager it's more retirees/couples who raised their kids that bring their small dogs on vacation with them. I know a lot of couples that fit that profile that travel all over with their dogs.
I can see taking a dog certain places. It just seems like a hassle to take a dog to WDW. I also know people that don't travel because the can't stand the thought of leaving their dogs. I love my pooch, but not enough to make those kind of sacrifices. To each their own I guess.

You can count me as one of those who already booked my resort (after much study and deliberation) when the policy was announced. After my phone call with a guest services CM (who would not email me), I am watching patiently to see if this trial goes well. If it does, I suspect it will be continued to encompass my travel dates. Also, if it is well enforced and of minimal impact, I will keep my reservation. I do carefully monitor the sticky thread on actual experiences. Most posts have put me at ease. I am patient. DH doesn't care but knows my allergies would make me miserable so as long as no pet "residue" is in our room, I should be fine. POR is the only resort we could agree on.

I have & DS & still treat my dogs like children. Of course, my DS comes first, but I still think of my dogs as my other kids.

I can see taking a dog certain places. It just seems like a hassle to take a dog to WDW. I also know people that don't travel because the can't stand the thought of leaving their dogs. I love my pooch, but not enough to make those kind of sacrifices. To each their own I guess.
We did that exactly when we had a 14-16 yr old blind dog with back & heart problems. We would only travel for very short trips b/c boarding him was so hard on him. With this policy we would have just taken him. Now I have a 1 yr old dog & 6 mo dog. We would just board them b/c they be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!