Hubby can't go!

disneynutcase

Mouseketeer
My DH has just started a new job and won't have any vacation time for a year. So me, DS 17, and DD 14 will be going in Oct. Has any one else been in this situation. I feel a little guilty going with out him. Should I feel this way? He says he doesn't mind!
-Disney nut case

Go and enjoy this time with your teens without any guilt! Time is too precious to feel guilty.

Three weeks ago, my husband got laid off from work, so I quickly booked a trip for Easter break since we had the luxury of time. We were expecting an extended lay-off because of the economy.

Wouldn't you know, the company called him back yesterday because a co-worker's reserve unit was called up.

I'm still going, even though I'll have to drive the 22 hours without him. I'm looking forward to spending the time with my DS5, DS7, and DN10.

go - go - go

and have fun

though my kids were little - i got a free room and my husband couldn't go - so we went anyway - and we had a great time - we did things that he wouldn't normally do - different shows - different meals - so even though it they missed their father - they had a great time -

have fun

i agree, go!

dh joined us on our last trip, for the first time. he is not a disney fan, but wanted to see it with the kids, so he flew down with us and came home after 5 days. the kids and i stayed 8 more days!

the whole trip was great! but, it was great in different ways. we all have our little quirks, many that make vacationing different; ie. dh likes to get up early, but it takes him a long while to get ready to go. while he was with us, he got up early, and the kids and i slept in or watched tv, while he tended to his morning routine. he isn't used to traveling (read-walking!) and wanted to go back to the room early, so we swam some evenings. he likes to try different foods, so we did that while he was with us.

after he left, we did exactly as we pleased! we slept in, went to the parks til close, then to dtd til it closed, getting back to the room sometimes at midnight. we ate at every hamburger joint at wdw and rode the tomorrowland speedway over and over, at ds's insistence. we waited in lines that were 20 minutes, which he wouldn't have handled well. we went swimming in the morning, the afternoon and the evening.

dh enjoyed the trip while he was there, as did we. and we were glad to have him there. but, we also enjoyed our time without him, and going at a different pace. I truly enjoyed having the kids to myself and encourage you to take off and enjoy!

Go! Me, DH and DD planned a trip in Aug 2001. At the last minute DH couldn't go. I wasn't going to cancel, but didn't want to go without him. We decided to go anyway and he was able to join us for a couple of days. It did feel a little lonely sitting at the food court just the 2 of us while seeing so many families around us. But we did ok and everything is so convenient especially when you stay onsite. I would even do it again!:)

My 7 yr old DD and I are also going in October - just us two.

I have two teen DDs and they weren't all that crazy about going to Trick Or Treat with Mickey (can you believe it???) DH said he'll stay home with the teens!! The girls and I also went to Disney in Nov/Dec 2000 without DH since he couldn't get off of work. Although it was different; it was still a lot of fun spending time with my girls.

I'm looking forward to this trip in October - Allison and I are always waiting for the others to get off the "mountain" rides, or being rushed in the shops (we LOVE the store right outside the Pooh ride - the teens and DH never want to look around)! And, this time, she and I are taking turns picking the restaurants we want to eat at - and she is very excited about that (I'm sure they'll all be character meals!). When we go with the family, everybody gets to pick at least one favorite restaurant. And most of all - we're going trick or treating with the Mouse!!! We haven't decided on our costumes yet!

Your imput was wonderful. I appreciate it. I'm feeling alittle less guilty and like DH says there will be more vacations to WDW and he has already been twice. All he requests is that I bring him back some really nice souvenirs and call like every other day. I agree that this time is precious , with everything that is happening and DS will be going off to college in another year although he still wants to go Disney when ever we go. So thanks again for all you support.

Disneynutcase

My childrens father, an off-duty policeman was killed in a traffic accident five years ago. That first family vacation, just the boys and I, was really intimidating. The bond that formed from these little outings with just the three of us is something I will treasure forever. My boys are now 18 and 14 yrs., and although I am remarried now, I still look forward to outings for just the three of us. I think you will find the experience refreshing. Be sure and bring Dad something special so he won't feel left out. With digital cameras and the internet, you might even find time to email him some pictures of your big adventure! Have Fun!

We have taken lots of family trips, but also a Mom/daughter trip last August. We're doing it again this year, before school starts. DH is easy to travel with, and he makes breakfast, but he gets really bored with pin trading and shopping. That's two things we do a lot of on our Dadless trip. We also slept later, DH is an early riser. It was fun, and we felt quite safe staying on-site. Diana

My DH is a DJ and had a gig when friends of ours invited us down to WDW. Well I went anyway (free room)--with guilt of course. But I made sure I sent a postcard everyday from the park we were in. You can send them right from the parks. And don't forget the electronic postcard from EPCOT! Don't worry, you'll get to go with him again another time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter