• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hypothetical Resale

CanadianDVC2024

Earning My Ears
I am looking to add-on points via resale...

Which would be the better option?

Riviera ~ $95-105 pp
Polynesian ~ $140-$150 pp

I feel like Riviera would be a steal at that range and doable. Whereas Polynesian the deals arent there anymore because of ROFR. Polynesian is our preferred resort but at this point, with no deals, I think Disney made the right move in many people will consider direct, including myself.

Riviera ~ $95-105 pp

I feel like Riviera would be a steal at that range and doable. Whereas Polynesian the deals arent there anymore because of ROFR. Polynesian is our preferred resort but at this point, with no deals, I think Disney made the right move in many people will consider direct, including myself.
$95-$105 for RIV? Haven't seen anything that low, but I assume you are talking about a very large purchase?

$95-$105 for RIV? Haven't seen anything that low, but I assume you are talking about a very large purchase?

hypothetical (and wishful thinking) but lets assume large purchase as that's where I have been able to get prices down (still crying about my poly)

hypothetical (and wishful thinking) but lets assume large purchase as that's where I have been able to get prices down (still crying about my poly)
I would be as well :-(

I know you said hypothetical, but a "large" purchase for restricted points is tricky. That's a lot of points that do very little. If you absolutely LOVE RIV, and I do, that's the only way I can see going the resale route.

We purchased direct (150) and I think anything we add on to RIV will be direct. I am a huge fan of resale, don't get me wrong...I would be leary of a large, restricted points purchase. Would I buy a few small contracts? Maybe. Obviously you most likely won't get nearly the deal that you mentioned.

I haven't paid too much attention to RIV resale but I've seen more than a few listed with asking prices in the $11Xs range and even one below $110. With some negotiating, I don't think that $100 or high $90s is unrealistic today, especially for a mid-size or large contract. Check out some of the listing aggregators that also plot average "sale" (or rather asking) prices by month. Reality is starting to set in for sellers that resale buyers of RIV need to be compensated for the restrictions in the form of lower prices. And I think that's only the beginning of it since the resort is barely 4 years old and there are still a limited number of sellers.

Riviera ~ $95-105 pp

If you must choose between those two, I'd go with PVB. First, you say it's your preferred resort. Second, why limit yourself to one resort when you can get access to 14?

I haven't paid too much attention to RIV resale but I've seen more than a few listed with asking prices in the $11Xs range and even one below $110. With some negotiating, I don't think that $100 or high $90s is unrealistic today, especially for a mid-size or large contract. Check out some of the listing aggregators that also plot average "sale" (or rather asking) prices by month. Reality is starting to set in for sellers that resale buyers of RIV need to be compensated for the restrictions in the form of lower prices. And I think that's only the beginning of it since the resort is barely 4 years old and there are still a limited number of sellers.
I'll have to look a little closer. Lowest I've seen is $111 and those were 200 pointers I believe. Not saying it can't happen. Anything is possible.

Personally I’d pay the extra for Poly (2066) even though the contract is 4 years shorter than RIV (2070).

My honest take on RIV resale? It works for people who like staying at RIV and have other contracts that can help absorb the lack of flexibility should they ever need to make date or room changes.

Ive tried a few RIV contracts at the $100 mark but no takers… I don’t think sellers expectations match with buyers yet.

I am a huge fan of RIv and have resale points there as well as direct.

But, we want to be there each and every trip as part of our split stays so the restrictions are no big deal.

If it is not your first choice resort, I am not sure it’s best. If you prefer Poly, I’d go that route.

Ive tried a few RIV contracts at the $100 mark but no takers… I don’t think sellers expectations match with buyers yet.

I agree. And there is a good chance that many RIv buyers can’t take something that low.

I did the same but honestly, I didn’t expect them to accept because if I was selling my RiV I would not sell that low yet.

RIV resale means locked in to RIV only.
More options if you buy Poly, more useful contract regardless if you select direct or resale or price.

I like your user name 🤣😂🤣🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

Riviera ~ $95-105 pp

Personally I’d pay the extra for Poly (2066) even though the contract is 4 years shorter than RIV (2070).

My honest take on RIV resale? It works for people who like staying at RIV and have other contracts that can help absorb the lack of flexibility should they ever need to make date or room changes.

Our other points, before buying RIV, are/were all unrestricted resale. So I thought (and said so on these boards) that I'd wait until I could get RIV at $100 pp and use it so that we could get it at 11mo instead of 7 mo booking. Welllll, 5 years ago we bought Riviera after doing a tour at SSR, because I didn't want to wait for resale contracts to show up on the market. I'm glad I didn't wait, but I agree with Genie+ that if your other points are unrestricted or mostly unrestricted, it might be worth waiting for a cheap RIV contract to use as an adjunct to your other stays. If you bank or borrow you wouldn't really be worried about being "shut out" as the naysayers say, because you'd have 2+ years to use your points.

As @Sandisw has said, though, the sellers of RIV probably have some financial circumstances that keep them from agreeing to too low a sale price. One of my VGF resale contracts was a foreclosure (being resold by the bank) and another was sellers who bought on a cruise and who had to come up with additional $ to close and pay off their loan. If the timing is anything like VGF, there may be a dip in 5-7 years after opening (i.e. starting now) where you might get some good resale deals.

If you can handle having to ride the hot air balloons over to EPCOT and MGM Studios, to me Riviera is the way to go.. but a lot of it depends on your age, your specific needs, etc.

My view is neither resort is in a practical way walkable to a park. But RIV gets you two parks you can take non-bus transportation to, and a nice entertainment district on the boardwalk you can enjoy as well once you're there to walk around. It is also (at least in your scenario) way cheaper and good for a longer period of time. And, it'll be a great bargain and someone else took the hit for you.

Resale restrictions, for the right resort, don't phase me at all. My personal issue is that RIV is not the right resort for me - I want to be able to walk to a park and not have to rely on a monorail or skyliner, boat, or bus. But, if you don't care about that specifically, and in the case of Poly vs. RIV both have that issue practically speaking, then I'd vote for RIV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter