I am asking for a friend lyft and uber wise

No lift or ramp.

A lightweight folding chair will be accommodated if it can fit in the trunk; a Lyft Plus or UberXL might be needed. A travel-sized scooter that can be disassembled should also fit in the trunk of most vehicles, but the rider's party will need to disassemble & reassemble it (or at least instruct the driver), and the driver may need help lifting the parts in and out of the trunk.

Mears taxi does have lift-equipped vans on request. I believe they charge the same fare as regular taxis.

Finally, Minnie Vans do have ramp-equipped vans, if the service is available at the resort you're staying at by the time of your trip.

Last edited:
No lift or ramp.

A lightweight folding chair will be accommodated if it can fit in the trunk; a Lyft Plus or UberXL might be needed. A travel-sized scooter that can be disassembled should also fit in the trunk of most vehicles, but the rider's party will need to disassemble & reassemble it (or at least instruct the driver), and the driver may need help lifting the parts in and out of the trunk.

Mears taxi does have lift-equipped vans on request. I believe they charge the same fare as regular taxis.

Finally, Minnie Vans do have ramp-equipped vans, if the service is available at the resort you're staying at by the time of your trip.

Thank you

Most Lyft Plus / Uber XL vehicles can handle an ultralight wheelchair or travel scooter. Your friend would have to transfer out of the chair. I've done this. Actual wheelchair accessible vehicles are rare.

Most Lyft Plus / Uber XL vehicles can handle an ultralight wheelchair or travel scooter. Your friend would have to transfer out of the chair. I've done this. Actual wheelchair accessible vehicles are rare.
I drive an XL/Plus vehicle, and that means an SUV or minivan with seating for six passengers. Minivans, and especially larger SUV's may present significant transfer problems for a person with limited mobility. My MIL has mobility issues, and getting in my Buick Enclave is difficult for her, even with a stepstool. So the scooter may be fine, but the patient may not be able to get into the vehicle.

If the scooter will fit into a car trunk, the patient will find transferring into a sedan seat much easier than stepping UP to an SUV seat.

Also, if they are using a scooter, what Joel said above about being able and willing to disassemble the scooter and load it into the vehicle is very correct. Many drivers will not take a chance of damaging the scooter or injuring themselves trying to load it. A Plus/XL vehicle also will not have any way to secure the scooter, and a driver may cancel the ride because they are afraid of damaging their car. The driver has every right to cancel a ride if they have a safety concern.

A Minnie Van or a Mears accessible vehicle would probably be a better choice if they are using a larger scooter.

I drive an XL/Plus vehicle, and that means an SUV or minivan with seating for six passengers. Minivans, and especially larger SUV's may present significant transfer problems for a person with limited mobility. My MIL has mobility issues, and getting in my Buick Enclave is difficult for her, even with a stepstool. So the scooter may be fine, but the patient may not be able to get into the vehicle.

If the scooter will fit into a car trunk, the patient will find transferring into a sedan seat much easier than stepping UP to an SUV seat.

Also, if they are using a scooter, what Joel said above about being able and willing to disassemble the scooter and load it into the vehicle is very correct. Many drivers will not take a chance of damaging the scooter or injuring themselves trying to load it. A Plus/XL vehicle also will not have any way to secure the scooter, and a driver may cancel the ride because they are afraid of damaging their car. The driver has every right to cancel a ride if they have a safety concern.

A Minnie Van or a Mears accessible vehicle would probably be a better choice if they are using a larger scooter.

I would not disagree with most of this. It very much depends on the rider's abilities what services they can use. If requesting a ride that is not specifically noted as accessible, I would assume that you are going to be responsible for managing your own equipment. Most drivers that I have ridden with have been willing and able to help me out. However, some drivers will not or cannot for a variety of valid reasons.

I personally use a wheelchair for distance. I am perfectly capable of tossing my wheelchair which weighs about 15 lbs in the back of an SUV. It's no more complicated than handling a suitcase.

Most people with more then a few months of experience living with a disability know their limitations are, and what help they may or may not need.

I have not invested in my friends abilities but I started this thread thinking her van broke down again but that's not the case but I kept the thread going for future reference for her but I realize lyft is not is everyone's budget in my case I have to learn it but in her case if I could drive she would have to budget in lyft plus van repairs and that's not cheap

In my case I just have to worry about lyft if friends or family can't take me to where I need to be

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter