I am done. DONE. A pox on September!

I can relate, OP.

Each year I'm telling myself it's the last time I book during hurricane season.
And then, I book again thinking I'm gonna be fine...
And then I spend the last 2 weeks before the cruise freaking out. :rotfl2:

This is totally me. We were booked for fall break at WDW when Hurricane Matthew was supposed to hit. We ended up flying in the day after it went through. Told myself nope, no more, just not worth the stress. Then the next year we wanted a cheap fall break option and ended up going to Gulf Shores... and who comes through but Hurricane Nate; we left the day he hit that area and arrived that night. And then turned around and booked the Disney Dream for October 7 this year.

We went to WDW last June and honestly found the crowds to be super manageable and no hurricanes to deal with - we may go back to being summer travelers (we have a DD 9 and don't pull her from school so it's fall break, spring break, or summer for us)

The way I think about is I am not paying a premium to sail outside of peak hurricane season; I am paying the "regular cruise" price and opting not to sail on the discounted "budget" hurricane-season option when there is a decent chance my vaycay would be ruined. Same reason I won't do IGT/OGT/VGT fares--the discount to me is not worth the risk of getting a room I hate; I'd rather pay the "regular" price to choose my room. Sure in both cases there is a chance that it could all go well (no hurricane / good room assignment), but if it goes badly that is my vacation tanked for a year and I am still paying thousands of dollars to be unhappy.

Yup we learned a hard expensive lesson that way two weeks ago. Thousands of dollars wasted in Florida cause we got stuck and couldn't get out once the cruise got cancelled. We made the most of it but it was still very disappointing and very expensive.

Unfortunately, even booking outside of hurricane season isn't free from itinerary changes. I was booked on a cruise in December 2017 that I booked on opening day, going to St. Thomas and Tortola. The hurricane happened and my December cruise became a Western Caribbean because of all the damage done to the Virgin Islands

I think I'm done with the Caribbean, at least those that are in the hurricane zone.

Yup we learned a hard expensive lesson that way two weeks ago. Thousands of dollars wasted in Florida cause we got stuck and couldn't get out once the cruise got cancelled. We made the most of it but it was still very disappointing and very expensive.

I can definitely sympathize and will give you my piece of advice, don't book the cruise right after a dry-dock, either.

Oh dear what happens after a dry dock?

Usually, nothing and all is good, but I won't chance booking another one. The Magic did a significant dry-dock in 2013 and they did not get the ship finished. The cruise was cancelled just hours before I was leaving home. The cancellation was made 2 days prior to the sail date.

One key is to find out how significant the dry dock is before you book. I don't think Disney will make that mistake again but I will be leery just the same.

We’re on the Bermuda cruise leaving on the 25th. We’ve been packed for two weeks due to other travels... oops. :oops: I felt so productive having everything ready to go and now I’m afraid we’re going to have to repack everything the night before. I can’t complain though. We are lucky enough to live 3 blocks from the port so it’s not a huge inconvenience to us but I’m keeping my fingers crossed for those traveling in that everything goes as planned.

Last edited:
I am on the same cruise as OP. I hope the storm weakens or there is a change that doesnt threaten elsewhere. I am stalking the weatherchannel and DCL.com like its my job. I hope we at least get the same amout of heads up that the Fantasy got today. Hopefully that will catch many people that are flying so that if they have to pack for a drastically different iteniary, they can. And if we cant have that, please let the gift shop be fully stocked with all sizes and some cute sweatshirts and pants!!! LOL

Usually, nothing and all is good, but I won't chance booking another one. The Magic did a significant dry-dock in 2013 and they did not get the ship finished. The cruise was cancelled just hours before I was leaving home. The cancellation was made 2 days prior to the sail date.

One key is to find out how significant the dry dock is before you book. I don't think Disney will make that mistake again but I will be leery just the same.

OMG, to have your cruise cancelled that close to leaving is horrible. I hope Disney gave you a good discount on a future cruise. I remember several years ago reading on here about the cruise following a dry dock. I don't remember which ship, I think it was either the Fantasy or Wonder. A lot of the work wasn't done and there were lots of areas that looked and sounded like construction areas. People weren't happy. I like to go on the ships after they do a lot of major changes, but thanks to the people on here we know to wait and not to book right after the dry dock is done!

WE had our NY to Bahamas cruise switched up the day before sailing to a NY to Canada cruise as Hurricane Matthew was heading up the East Coast. Luckily we didn't need to fly as we live less than 30 minutes from the Manhattan cruise terminal but we still had to adjust some clothes (more cold weather clothes)...all in all we still had a good time. For that particular cruise DCL did offer a refund if you decided you didn't want to go. There were so few people onboard they merged the two dining times into one at 7:30 pm. It was actually the perfect time to eat!! Hurricanes would not keep me from booking a cruise in the Fall months. Heck we recently booked the Magic out of NY at the end of this October. We will see what happens!!!

MJ

WE had our NY to Bahamas cruise switched up the day before sailing to a NY to Canada cruise as Hurricane Matthew was heading up the East Coast. Luckily we didn't need to fly as we live less than 30 minutes from the Manhattan cruise terminal but we still had to adjust some clothes (more cold weather clothes)...all in all we still had a good time. For that particular cruise DCL did offer a refund if you decided you didn't want to go. There were so few people onboard they merged the two dining times into one at 7:30 pm. It was actually the perfect time to eat!! Hurricanes would not keep me from booking a cruise in the Fall months. Heck we recently booked the Magic out of NY at the end of this October. We will see what happens!!!

MJ
That’s interesting about the dining. If we switch to Canada we are definitely still going (flying to NYC already) so a less crowded ship wouldn’t be the worst thing! I have a bad feeling about Bermuda. Jerry is still pointing right at it. I truly hope they don’t get major damage, obviously for my cruise but mainly for the people and the island itself. :(

That’s interesting about the dining. If we switch to Canada we are definitely still going (flying to NYC already) so a less crowded ship wouldn’t be the worst thing! I have a bad feeling about Bermuda. Jerry is still pointing right at it. I truly hope they don’t get major damage, obviously for my cruise but mainly for the people and the island itself. :(

Just watched the weather channel this morning, looks like no matter what, Jerry will hit Bermuda the day we are supposed to be there. It will be either a cat 1 or 2. Hopefully DCL will give some information today on options regarding our cruise.

Hey @mmouse37 - when they switched you to a Canada cruise, did they give you any onboard credit or a discount toward a future cruise? Just wondering. (I know DCL doesn't have to do that, and I don't expect it, but since the Caribbean to Canada is a very different experience, was wondering if there was anything to sweeten the deal.)

Hey @mmouse37 - when they switched you to a Canada cruise, did they give you any onboard credit or a discount toward a future cruise? Just wondering. (I know DCL doesn't have to do that, and I don't expect it, but since the Caribbean to Canada is a very different experience, was wondering if there was anything to sweeten the deal.)

We were offered a full refund and change of date (before a certain amount of time). They did offer an onboard credit but I seem to remember it was offered mid-week, not at the beginning or they offered a certain amount and then upped it during the week. I really can't remember. I do not recall if we got a discount on a future cruise...don't think so.

MJ

MJ

We were on the cruise right before yours. One evening near the end of the cruise after the decision had been made to reroute the following one, my husband and I were sitting in the Cove Cafe. It was pretty dead in there as it was just us and one group of what we assumed to be officers of the ship (they were all wearing jackets). As it was so quiet in there, we couldn't help but overhear snippets of their conversation. Basically it was a meeting to discuss how to handle the next cruise. It was clear they were expecting some disgruntled passengers on board and were making plans for how to handle that. It sounded as if they were making plans for some extra activities and coming up with things to try to boost passenger morale. It was nice to see that they understood how disappointing that would be and were trying to mitigate that as much as possible.

So... those who have been on or switched to a Canadian itinerary this time of year, how would you suggest switching up the packing? Are the pools swimmable? Is the ship freezing? We’ve only ever been on warm cruises. Even our Christmas cruises were hot lol.

So... those who have been on or switched to a Canadian itinerary this time of year, how would you suggest switching up the packing? Are the pools swimmable? Is the ship freezing? We’ve only ever been on warm cruises. Even our Christmas cruises were hot lol.

I have not sailed a Canadian itinerary at this time of year, but I did grow up in Nova Scotia, and there is absolutely no chance I would want to swim outside at this time of year. Being out on the water will be cooler still. Having said that, I believe the pools on deck are heated, so if you get a nice day and you like to swim for its own sake (rather than just to cool off), they'll probably be usable.

Weather can be variable this time of year, but expect cool mornings and evenings (~10 C / ~50 F or possibly even lower). If it's a sunny day the weather can be very pleasant. Normal daytime highs are in the low 20's C (~65 F). If you're in the sun and out of the wind, it will feel quite warm. On the other hand, if it's cloudy, rainy, or windy, you're probably not going to want to sit out on deck for long. The interior spaces will be fine though, no cooler than the air conditioned temperature you'd get on a hotter cruise, and the pool deck is also sheltered from the wind.

Definitely pack some layers. Sweaters, pants, and a jacket. Even a thin hat and gloves might be welcome if you like to be out on deck in the early morning or evening. Honestly I would pack all of that for a Bermuda trip at this time of year too though, except maybe the hat and gloves, because I'd guess the North Atlantic between New York and Bermuda could get pretty cool this time of year too. I'd just pack more of the warmer layers and a bit less of the hot weather clothing for a trip further north.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, wherever you end up!

DCL gave a $100 per person OBC to everyone on the cruise and 20% off a future cruise to everyone who rebooked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter