I am losing it over my cat - need some help or opinions

robinsnest49ers

Mouseketeer
I have an 8 year old female inside cat. A year and a half ago we got another cat and everything was good. The younger cat is pretty playful, but the older cat sometimes doesn't like it. A couple of months ago the older cat started pooping randomly outside her box. We thought maybe she just got distracted when going and a piece would drop outside. Recently it's been happening more and more and just recently she started peeing outside her box, on the couch, on the floor, etc. We took her to the vet and spend $500 to have him tell us he could not find anything physically wrong with her but he didn't do blood work or an ultrasound, but he did do a urinalysis and xray. He suggested we put her on Prozac as she is very easily spooked and a very timid cat. You can't pick her up at all but she will sit on my lap when she wants to, but she has to be the one to come to you. It was near impossible to get her to the vet to begin with because of this. So we decided to try the prozac but she won't take it. I have tried to give it to her in her food, in tuna water or directly into her mouth with absolutely no success. I am losing it. I had another cat who had epilepsy and we had to give him meds twice a day, and we had a neighbour who would give it to him when we went away, so I am used to giving a cat meds, but this is near impossible. What am I going to do if I can't give her meds, no one else will be able to either. No one else can even get near this cat. We have had her for 8 years and she is part of the family even if she is a little distant. I am really at a loss with this one. I don't want to put her down but I can't live with her peeing everywhere, and I am trying to make decisions based not on financial or selfish reasons but this is becoming so overwhelming. I can barely see to write this because I am crying while writing this. I don't even know what I am asking here, I guess I just needed to get it out. Thanks

Oh my I feel your pain. Although I don't have any advice about your cat not using the litter box I want to share this great video on how to get your cat to take a pill. Listen carefully at what this vet says about using pill pockets particularly the part about not touching the pill pocket with the same hand that touched the pill. When I heard that I was like wow she is right. If you touch the pill pocket with the same hand that touched the pill it transfers the smell of the pill to the outside of the pill pocket and the cat won't eat the pill pocket.
If your cat likes treats, you can crush up a couple of treats and then roll the pill pocket in the crushed treats. This too will help entice them to eat the pill pocket. I hope you can see this video.
I apologize if I am not allowed to post this video and if the mods need to remove it then contact me by PM with your email address and I will email the video link to you.

Hang in there I know it is tuff. I am dealing with getting our 4 cats to all eat the same wet food and I am at my wits end. I feel like I am running the Katz Buffet company because they are so picky.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...ew&id=48&vid=b2df6c4df440c85d9fd5b3f5dcb559a6

Shelly,
Thanks for the reply, and advice. I think I just needed to vent, that was a bad day. I finally found something that she would take her medicine with. Her medicine is a liquid so I couldn't do pill pockets. I had to find the stinkiest most disgusting cat food I could find and she finally has been taking her meds. 5 days in now and so far so good. I was at my wits end with her. I had another cat who had epilepsy a few years ago and he had to get meds twice a day, so I was familiar with the pill pockets, but this being a liquid it was a different story. So all is well now, thanks for listening.

Shelly,
Thanks for the reply, and advice. I think I just needed to vent, that was a bad day. I finally found something that she would take her medicine with. Her medicine is a liquid so I couldn't do pill pockets. I had to find the stinkiest most disgusting cat food I could find and she finally has been taking her meds. 5 days in now and so far so good. I was at my wits end with her. I had another cat who had epilepsy a few years ago and he had to get meds twice a day, so I was familiar with the pill pockets, but this being a liquid it was a different story. So all is well now, thanks for listening.
That is great news Robin. Hey Robin can you share what food you found that you could hid the medicine in? You never know if another Dis'er or myself might be in your same predicament. If you don't want to mention it on here can you PM me.
TIA

Adding the new cat is most likely the reason for the behavior change. I added a new cat to my family over a year ago. Although we didn't have the cat box issue, we had viscous attacks. I had to supervise the girls all day and into the evening and then I had to put my girl, next door in my sister's apartment at night, because I couldn't supervise all night long. Also, when she would chase the new cat, the new cat defecated because she was so scared. After about 9 mos. of careful supervision she finally got used to the new cat. A year and a half later, they can be side by side, sleeping and eating and there are no issues. However the new cat will still cautiously walk by the other one, still expecting something to happen. She is very sensitive. I also added a second liter box to the room, this was one of the first things I did because the cat whisperer said it was important to have separate liter pans for the number of cats in the home. I didn't add a third one, but I do have two. Then, just this past summer, the new cat started peeing on the scatter rugs whenever I went away for a night. Since winter, and them not being able to go outside, the behavior has stopped. And I can go away and we've had no issues. Sometimes I think it's a matter of time, and it seems to be quite a long time before they can accept change of any kind. They like their routines, it makes them feel safe. Has the medication been effective?

I uploaded a picture of the package, hopefully you can see it, I am in Canada so not sure if it is carried in the U.S. It is b.f.f. brand (best feline friend) and it is the Tuna and Lamb flavour. You can get it at Petvalu and Global Pet foods, not sure about Petsmart. It really stinks, but she loves it. I only feed it to her when she gets her meds and just a tiny spoonful, so it is more of a treat for her. She has been on the meds for about a week now and the accidents are happening less and less. The vet told me it may take a couple of weeks for the meds to kick in, I really hope they work, she is only 8 years old, and physically looks great. This is the second cat we have had with health problems (the cat before her had epilepsy and had to take meds twice a day). He lived another 4 years on the meds until he had a major seizure and became paralysed. Just an FYI, he is the cat in my profile pic. He did well on the meds. It didn't completely take away the seizures but greatly reduced them. Before these two, we had 2 other cats who lived 18 and 19 years with no health problems whatsoever (guess I was lucky). Another piece of advice if someone is having the same issue, we have "puppy pads" in places where we think she may go.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 4
Adding the new cat is most likely the reason for the behavior change. I added a new cat to my family over a year ago. Although we didn't have the cat box issue, we had viscous attacks. I had to supervise the girls all day and into the evening and then I had to put my girl, next door in my sister's apartment at night, because I couldn't supervise all night long. Also, when she would chase the new cat, the new cat defecated because she was so scared. After about 9 mos. of careful supervision she finally got used to the new cat. A year and a half later, they can be side by side, sleeping and eating and there are no issues. However the new cat will still cautiously walk by the other one, still expecting something to happen. She is very sensitive. I also added a second liter box to the room, this was one of the first things I did because the cat whisperer said it was important to have separate liter pans for the number of cats in the home. I didn't add a third one, but I do have two. Then, just this past summer, the new cat started peeing on the scatter rugs whenever I went away for a night. Since winter, and them not being able to go outside, the behavior has stopped. And I can go away and we've had no issues. Sometimes I think it's a matter of time, and it seems to be quite a long time before they can accept change of any kind. They like their routines, it makes them feel safe. Has the medication been effective?

It could possibly be the new cat, he does get aggressive with her sometimes, but we have had him for a year and half now with no incidents, so this is why I am baffled. And yes, we have 2 different spaces for them, 3 litter boxes, 2 cat trees, unfortunately, the way our house is built (raised ranch) there is no basement per se (laundry room is separate, but not sure if I should lock her in there at night because the furnace and hot water heater is there too and it makes noise) and that is where the litter box is that she actually goes in is. There are no doors except for bedrooms and the doorways without doors are too wide to put a gate up, and I think the other cat could easily jump a gate anyway. This is definitely a puzzle. Good thing I like puzzles.

Last edited:

I feel so bad for you. I know what it's like to stick things out hoping they will get better. It took such a long time for my girls to get along, like I said about nine months. It broke my heart to have to send my sweety to my sisters because we got a new cat. I'm sure she felt put out. But...luckily I had my sister right next door, so it worked. I don't know what I would have done without this option. How is she doing since she's been on the meds the vet gave you? Has the behavior stopped?

I feel so bad for you. I know what it's like to stick things out hoping they will get better. It took such a long time for my girls to get along, like I said about nine months. It broke my heart to have to send my sweety to my sisters because we got a new cat. I'm sure she felt put out. But...luckily I had my sister right next door, so it worked. I don't know what I would have done without this option. How is she doing since she's been on the meds the vet gave you? Has the behavior stopped?
It is hit and miss so far, but the vet did say we should wait until she has had meds for a couple of weeks before the full effect takes. She has had a couple of incidents since on the meds but hopefully she will come around. She does seem more relaxed and playful, unfortunately, her "accidents" take place in the middle of the night.

Here's a bit of Fairy Dust for you...sprinkle it on her before you go to bed at night and let it work it's magic!
pixiedust:

I had an almost identical issue when I brought a new cat into the house. My older cat had a really tough time adjusting. I also had a similar issue when I took on a second job, since she didn't like that I was gone more and would just pee on things (normally the couch). I keep blankets folded several times on all the furniture (so there's more to soak through) and have learned to use cleaners with enzymes (otherwise the smell won't go away).

Give her lots of attention, especially one-on-one. You may be frustrated with her (in my case I was driven to tears on more than one occasion) but it's entirely behavioral. Take a big breath and walk away when you need to, and just remember that it'll get better eventually.

Yes....lots of extra attention and patience. If the cat is insecure, she will have behavior issues. My new cat is extremely insecure and like I said in a previous post, it has taken over a year to help her. She is still rather tentative when walking around the other cat, she stops, looks and waits. I give her tons of extra love. For the first time in two years, she's jumped on my lap! It's just amazing how human they can be, and how we need to deal with them as we would with a traumatized child.

Firstly, find a mobile or house call vet--really helps to reduce vet stress. Blood work is a must in a cat > 7 yrs with behavior change. New cat introduction can be a huge issue. If the new cat is blocking the box (or waiting to pounce for play), the old cat will have to go elsewhere. Make sure the new cat isn't bullying the old cat. The original cat may or may not need prozac, but the new cat might need some rules. You need an environment of plenty -- lots of hiding places, toys, multiple water bowls, cat towers and at least THREE litter boxes in SEPARATE locations, not next to each other. And not scary locations either -- not next to noisy places or scary machines or kids (no one likes an audience). Go with quiet areas. If one box is being guarded, the others are open. Try different litter types as well. And get a larger box -- if the box is too small, the cat can't stretch to cover or position properly, so will go elsewhere. A large rubbermaid storage box works well. Lower sides (like an inch or two) are best for senior cats who can't step into the box comfortably. Most cats by age 8 have elbow arthritis, so it could be a pain issue. Add Feliway (can get a PetSmart or online). Feed the cats from separate bowls and measured feedings to reduce stress or try something like the new NoBowl feeding system to reduce stress. Pooping outside the box often doesn't resolve quickly and can be difficult to deal with (as long as it's been going on can take that amount of time to resolve). Also, make sure to rule out constipation issues, anal gland problems, etc. Good luck!

I had an almost identical issue when I brought a new cat into the house. My older cat had a really tough time adjusting. I also had a similar issue when I took on a second job, since she didn't like that I was gone more and would just pee on things (normally the couch). I keep blankets folded several times on all the furniture (so there's more to soak through) and have learned to use cleaners with enzymes (otherwise the smell won't go away).

Give her lots of attention, especially one-on-one. You may be frustrated with her (in my case I was driven to tears on more than one occasion) but it's entirely behavioral. Take a big breath and walk away when you need to, and just remember that it'll get better eventually.
It's hard when your kitty is sensitive. One of my girls started peeing on the scatter rugs when I went away for the weekend, even though my sister was there to care for her. They go out in the summer but stay inside for winter. I've been away for weekends in winter as well, but no pee on scatter rugs. So for some reason, she did it last summer when she could go outside but not this winter. Sometimes you just never know. Fortunately, I could throw the scatter rugs in the wash!

Hey Everyone, thanks for the support and advice. It is really helpful to vent and get some outside input into this. Just an update on what's happening and maybe together with the vet we can figure this out. It is really a mystery to me because this is a new problem. We have had the second cat for a year and half and she just started this out of the blue. I could understand if I just got this second cat and she started doing this but a year and half later?? Nothing has changed since then. My gut is telling me it's not behavioural now. She has been on prozac for 3 weeks now and behaviourally we have seen a big change. She is playing more, and seems happier. She even plays with the other cat, but there have still been accidents. We have been keeping a chart of accidents (my daughter thinks it's gross to track my cats bathroom habits on the fridge lol) and it seems like every 3 or 4 days she pees and poops on something soft, like a chair cushion etc. We have been using puppy pads where we think she may go and they have saved a few things and made clean up easier. We have 3 litter boxes separated on 2 floors of the house with 2 different litters. There are 2 separate eating areas, 2 different cat trees and toys everywhere for the 2nd cat to play with to keep him busy and entertained and away from the original cat. It's almost like she's holding it in for 3 or 4 days then letting go when she can't hold it anymore?? It is such a puzzle. Next step, will talk to my regular vet see what he says and maybe try to find an at home vet that doesn't cost an arm and leg.

Hmmm....I understand your dilemma...it is very perplexing. But it's really strange how sometimes behaviors can change without a seeming incident/reason. My new cat, who is now at two years of being new, has just decided to start laying on my lap! This is a totally new behavior. Non of my females are lap cats, so she hasn't seen the other two doing this. I think it's because she now feels safe enough to do it, being the timid one in the bunch but who really knows. I hope your vet can come up with some suggestions, or find a physical cause for the issue. You haven't changed her diet or anything right? Keep us cat lovers posted. I feel your pain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!