I can't do winter anymore!

Happyinwonerland

DIS Veteran
Here we are, staring down another 3-4 months of cold, ice, snow, wind, and miserable weather. Every year, for the 14 years I've lived here, I have sworn it was the last winter here. And yet, here I am, still anchored to this area. Still freezing, still aching, still dreading each low temp.

Hear my declaration now: this time next year I will be packing a moving truck and heading for a warmer climate!

Anyone else hate winter a dreaming of sunnier skies?

Here we are, staring down another 3-4 months of cold, ice, snow, wind, and miserable weather. Every year, for the 14 years I've lived here, I have sworn it was the last winter here. And yet, here I am, still anchored to this area. Still freezing, still aching, still dreading each low temp.

Hear my declaration now: this time next year I will be packing a moving truck and heading for a warmer climate!

Where is here?

We live in New England and I absolutely HATE winter. I hate being cold. It can't be hot enough for me. My oldest daughter moved to Florida last year and works for Disney and rubs it in to me all the time.:(

I'm in both climates and really don't mind the cold. It's a nice change and I leave it pretty much when I want. It was 27F last week this week I'm in lower 80's. Soon cold again.

Chances are very good that you will be living in the same area this time next year. But if you really want change and are serious about it you will move.

I'm a lifelong central Texan and sometimes wish for snow. I've always wanted to go sledding but never had the chance. It also can get brutally- and I mean brutally- hot and dry here in the summer. If you think WDW is bad in summer, it's because you're not a Texan. We sometimes go to Disney World in July to cool off.

So I guess the grass is always greener...

Where is here?

We live in New England and I absolutely HATE winter. I hate being cold. It can't be hot enough for me. My oldest daughter moved to Florida last year and works for Disney and rubs it in to me all the time.:(

Here is central Kentucky. And while I know it doesn't get as cold as many other areas, I was raised in southern, warm climates and I am not cut out for anything below 60!

I use to live in central florida and North Alabama and antyime I see social media posts from my friends and family still there I get super jealous. They have such amazing weather!

I'm a lifelong central Texan and sometimes wish for snow. I've always wanted to go sledding but never had the chance. It also can get brutally- and I mean brutally- hot and dry here in the summer. If you think WDW is bad in summer, it's because you're not a Texan. We sometimes go to Disney World in July to cool off.

So I guess the grass is always greener...

You can takr a vacation somewhere snowy to get your fill, then go back home where it is warm and sunny. The cold is miserable and makes your whole body hurt.

I have never even once complained about heat! I am always cold, even when it is 70 degrees out, so I like it hot, hot, hot!

I'm in both climates and really don't mind the cold. It's a nice change and I leave it pretty much when I want. It was 27F last week this week I'm in lower 80's. Soon cold again.

Chances are very good that you will be living in the same area this time next year. But if you really want change and are serious about it you will move.

Ugh, I know, it is probably at least a 2 year timeline before our ducks will be in a row, since Dh switched careers this year and needs experience before he can move up the ladder. A girl can hope though!

I kid you not, this is the primary reason we moved our family. DW was born and raised in New Jersey, went to grad school in Syracuse. I was born and raised around the Philly area. We lived our entire married life around the suburbs of Philly, finally settling in the far northern suburbs, not far from the Pocono mountains. Every year, we just got increasingly tired of the cold and the snow. After over 40 years of it, wears on you. The winter of '13-'14 was a brutally cold one. I had surgery on my hip that January, so I was working from home most of the winter (I wasn't supposed to drive...but did). There were mornings in February when I was in our driveway with our kids waiting for the school bus when the air temps were -4F and the wind chill was -20F. Plus there was snow on the ground that was 5' high in some drift areas...we lived in the countryside where it was windy and snow would drift like crazy. I jokingly said to DW "Let's get out of here, I can't take this stupid cold". I didn't really mean it, I was just messing around. But we started to actually talk about it and consider the possibility, and by late March we had decided to go for it. We both agreed that we would like to retire in a warm climate. DW was afraid that if we stayed in PA and our kids planted roots there that when we retire and move someplace warm, the kids would stay in PA and we wouldn't see them much. The kids were 9, 6, 6 at the time. So that was really the biggest reason we decided to move. We figured it was a now or never type thing, so we just took a gamble, picked up our stuff and moved. It happened fast...we made the decision in March and had selected Atlanta as our destination. That part was pretty cool. When we first started talking about is seriously, the entire USA was our oyster. We had no family anywhere outside the Philly area, so we had no attachment to anywhere, we just wanted somewhere warm. We considered all kinds of places...Dallas, Phoenix, Tampa, Atlanta, Houston, etc... House went on the market in April, sold 3 days later. We made a few solo trips down to Atlanta for job interviews, area searching, etc... and in late June we packed up and drove to Atlanta.

3.5 years later...I miss Philly something awful, but I do NOT miss winter. Never again.

I kid you not, this is the primary reason we moved our family. DW was born and raised in New Jersey, went to grad school in Syracuse. I was born and raised around the Philly area. We lived our entire married life around the suburbs of Philly, finally settling in the far northern suburbs, not far from the Pocono mountains. Every year, we just got increasingly tired of the cold and the snow. After over 40 years of it, wears on you. The winter of '13-'14 was a brutally cold one. I had surgery on my hip that January, so I was working from home most of the winter (I wasn't supposed to drive...but did). There were mornings in February when I was in our driveway with our kids waiting for the school bus when the air temps were -4F and the wind chill was -20F. Plus there was snow on the ground that was 5' high in some drift areas...we lived in the countryside where it was windy and snow would drift like crazy. I jokingly said to DW "Let's get out of here, I can't take this stupid cold". I didn't really mean it, I was just messing around. But we started to actually talk about it and consider the possibility, and by late March we had decided to go for it. We both agreed that we would like to retire in a warm climate. DW was afraid that if we stayed in PA and our kids planted roots there that when we retire and move someplace warm, the kids would stay in PA and we wouldn't see them much. The kids were 9, 6, 6 at the time. So that was really the biggest reason we decided to move. We figured it was a now or never type thing, so we just took a gamble, picked up our stuff and moved. It happened fast...we made the decision in March and had selected Atlanta as our destination. That part was pretty cool. When we first started talking about is seriously, the entire USA was our oyster. We had no family anywhere outside the Philly area, so we had no attachment to anywhere, we just wanted somewhere warm. We considered all kinds of places...Dallas, Phoenix, Tampa, Atlanta, Houston, etc... House went on the market in April, sold 3 days later. We made a few solo trips down to Atlanta for job interviews, area searching, etc... and in late June we packed up and drove to Atlanta.

3.5 years later...I miss Philly something awful, but I do NOT miss winter. Never again.

I'm pretty sure I would just lay down and give up in those temps! That sounds awful.

The gokd thing about missing a plave is that you can always go back for a visit, and then return to your warm home in ATL!

I love atlanta, and it is definitely on my list of areas I would enjoy living.

I also hate the winter. My sternum was dislocated and it still kills me when it gets super cold...which is like below 50.

Last edited:
I hate the winter, even the short one we have here in Athens, GA is too much for me. My son was stationed in Chicago for a couple of years and after my first Christmas visiting him there I told him Mama loves you but I'm not doing this again. The year he was in San Antonio was perfect

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter