I can't do winter anymore!

We traveled to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in Canada. We were talking to locals and they told us, they live here in the summer and went to their winter homes in Ontario. I just started laughing, because I live next to Ontario and I hate the winters. So I am guessing it has to do with how much you can tolerate. They also said, it is very icy and cold and it is the ice that makes the winters treacherous.

I hate heat and humidity so in all honesty, I welcome 3 months of cold. I live in New Jersey and STILL haven't worn anything heavier than a sweatshirt yet. (Not that I'm complaining...)

It doesn’t get as cold like it use to. I live in south jersey and last year we only had three cold days. Only three days that I had a jacket on. Most of the time in winter a sweatshirt is enough.

I think Canada seems like a wonderful country, but I could not deal with those winters! We have family in Canada, and they once lived in Goose Bay, and the photos they would send of snow falls taller than their privacy fence...yikes!
It's not bad in Southwest BC (Victoria/ Vancouver) as it doesn't get as bitterly cold as the rest of the country. but it is a damp cold. However I think we are better able to adapt to the cold and prepare for it. I HATE the heat, I get physically sick above about 25*C as I can't sweat due to medication I have to take.

Winters have been relatively mild the past few years in the Philadelphia area. I think we are due for a cold, snowy winter.

As much as I hate bitter cold and snow, it does make us appreciate spring! As soon as it hits the 50s in March/April all the kids break out their shorts!

I hate winter and if I knew I would be living in this place I would of chosen differently. I can not afford to move somewhere hot so I will die in a place I hate. I hate the cold and ice and snow

In Wisconsin it is 61 degrees, which is very mild for December. The only problem, it is dark out at 4:00 p.m., so we all sit in our homes like it is freezing out. I did take the dog for 2 walks today. I just heard on the weather that it will be a high of 28 tomorrow. That stinks.

OP, yes I am just not tolerant to cold anymore. I do like some cool autumn days mixed in, but I wouldn't mind living where 60s is the low or the very occasional few days at 40 as the bad days. When I'm cold I just feel it to the core and want to shut down and not move.

I grew in Southern California, and I'm so glad I had that weather. Since then, I've lived all over the world and have yet to settle down but will soon, and when we talk retirement we are going somewhere at least not North Dakota or Chicago cold! I just can't.

I hate winter. Luckily my husband agreed with me after a particularly bad one in Fargo ND/Moorhead MN. When he was ready to interview for jobs his last few months of college he only looked at warmer states.

My daughter loves cold weather. My son doesn't care.

My idea of heaven would be somewhere where it would be 50-80 degrees year round, without any wild temperature swings. Of course I would never be able to afford to live there, but a girl can dream!

And honestly I don't mind the cold as much as I do the ICE.....

Terri

How will you ever leave your amazing nursing job that pays so much more than any other similar job found in any other location?

I don't like living in Wisconsin--I don't do any winter sports and don't get any enjoyment out of winter past Christmas. I have a phobia of walking on ice.

But...both sets of our parents live here, as do our siblings and we like our kids to be close to their family.

I’m in Canada , West of Toronto ..hate the ice more than anything.
That said , so far it’s been mild , almost warm some days including today and not a snowflake yet!

We lived in Florida for awhile...I hated the humidity more though.
Guess there’s no perfect place..

Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of winter too (Philly area), even though we've been pretty lucky the past few winters. One of my goals when I get to retire in a few years (I hope) is to get something in Florida (hopefully near Disney) to spend the winter months. Not sure I would want to stay there in the summer heat, but I'll take that over winter.

I like all 4 seasons including winter. It gives you the opportunity to do the stuff you can't when there isn't snow on the ground like winter hikes, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and taking the dogs out for some winter activities. I prefer snowier winter's to the few dry ones we have had lately. Hibernating for the winter months is a waste of perfectly good time.

I never really got the dislike if winter. Just get the proper clothing and an all wheel drive vehicle and go have fun.

Me too! I enjoy the variety and by the time each season is winding down, I'm tired of it and ready for the next. I don't think I'd be happy anywhere with a continual sameness to the weather.

I’m in Canada , West of Toronto ..hate the ice more than anything.
That said , so far it’s been mild , almost warm some days including today and not a snowflake yet!

We lived in Florida for awhile...I hated the humidity more though.
Guess there’s no perfect place..

Hi neighbour! We're also west of Toronto. I share your ice hatred. I have no issues with walking or driving in the snow but when we get those thaw and refreeze days/nights I'm not happy walking or driving.

I'm getting my snow tires put on this afternoon in anticipation of the "alleged" snow starting later this week, although with some reservation since they said snowy winter last year and look what didn't happen much. I didn't even bother with snow tires last year, just kept the all weathers on.

How will you ever leave your amazing nursing job that pays so much more than any other similar job found in any other location?

I don't like living in Wisconsin--I don't do any winter sports and don't get any enjoyment out of winter past Christmas. I have a phobia of walking on ice.

But...both sets of our parents live here, as do our siblings and we like our kids to be close to their family.

I do love my job, and it is the ideal work situation for me. That has been one of the big things holding me back, because I highly doubt I can replicate it anywhere else. But hopefully as DH moves up in his career, mine won't be as important.

I hear ya about being close to family. I only really care about fostering that relationship with dh's mom, but it is a biggie. She and DD are super close.

My idea of heaven would be somewhere where it would be 50-80 degrees year round, without any wild temperature swings. Of course I would never be able to afford to live there, but a girl can dream!

And honestly I don't mind the cold as much as I do the ICE.....

Terri

My ideal, too.

Anyone know where I can get this? DH and I decided today that we are putting our house on the market in May...and heading out of town. Now to start the research on where to go.

In Wisconsin it is 61 degrees, which is very mild for December. The only problem, it is dark out at 4:00 p.m., so we all sit in our homes like it is freezing out. I did take the dog for 2 walks today. I just heard on the weather that it will be a high of 28 tomorrow. That stinks.

I think you make a good point. I live in the Northeast and each year when the cold hits I find it harder and harder for me to be motivated after work, and I think that's more due to the fact that it gets dark so early than the cold. If we could get rid of daylight savings I think that would help tremendously with my overall mood, even if it's cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter