I can't do winter anymore!

It snowed in Austin and San Antonio yesterday, North Alabama is getting hit with snow and ice as we speak. Is there nowhere safe from this mess anymore?

Seriously though, how many days until spring?

It snowed in Austin and San Antonio yesterday, North Alabama is getting hit with snow and ice as we speak. Is there nowhere safe from this mess anymore?

Still anxiously waiting for our first snowfall in Missouri! Send it on up this way, will you?

You could move to California. It was gorgeous there last week. But they're dealing with fires right now......

I'm sitting outside eating lunch. It must be 80F. Enjoying while I can.

Still anxiously waiting for our first snowfall in Missouri! Send it on up this way, will you?

You could move to California. It was gorgeous there last week. But they're dealing with fires right now......

We're supposed to get our first accumulating snowfall overnight tonight here in southeast Michigan, I will gladly forward your way.

I don't think I could afford a mortgage in California!

Here we are, staring down another 3-4 months of cold, ice, snow, wind, and miserable weather. Every year, for the 14 years I've lived here, I have sworn it was the last winter here. And yet, here I am, still anchored to this area. Still freezing, still aching, still dreading each low temp.

Hear my declaration now: this time next year I will be packing a moving truck and heading for a warmer climate!

Anyone else hate winter a dreaming of sunnier skies?

I am from Maine and now live in Virginia- south of Richmond and there is still too much winter here for me. My husband and I have our eye on Georgia.

But it's been so warm here so far this year. We've only had a few days below 40.

We're just north of Atlanta and have about 3" of snow on the ground. It's been snowing all day...half of the neighborhood children are in my yard (we have a big hill).

However, we've been here 3.5 years and this is by far the most snow we've seen. Prior to today, never more than .5" which melted in hours.

OP - I've been meaning to ask you about your user name. Is it a play on something? Or is there an unintentional typo?

I kid you not, this is the primary reason we moved our family. DW was born and raised in New Jersey, went to grad school in Syracuse. I was born and raised around the Philly area. We lived our entire married life around the suburbs of Philly, finally settling in the far northern suburbs, not far from the Pocono mountains. Every year, we just got increasingly tired of the cold and the snow. After over 40 years of it, wears on you. The winter of '13-'14 was a brutally cold one. I had surgery on my hip that January, so I was working from home most of the winter (I wasn't supposed to drive...but did). There were mornings in February when I was in our driveway with our kids waiting for the school bus when the air temps were -4F and the wind chill was -20F. Plus there was snow on the ground that was 5' high in some drift areas...we lived in the countryside where it was windy and snow would drift like crazy. I jokingly said to DW "Let's get out of here, I can't take this stupid cold". I didn't really mean it, I was just messing around. But we started to actually talk about it and consider the possibility, and by late March we had decided to go for it. We both agreed that we would like to retire in a warm climate. DW was afraid that if we stayed in PA and our kids planted roots there that when we retire and move someplace warm, the kids would stay in PA and we wouldn't see them much. The kids were 9, 6, 6 at the time. So that was really the biggest reason we decided to move. We figured it was a now or never type thing, so we just took a gamble, picked up our stuff and moved. It happened fast...we made the decision in March and had selected Atlanta as our destination. That part was pretty cool. When we first started talking about is seriously, the entire USA was our oyster. We had no family anywhere outside the Philly area, so we had no attachment to anywhere, we just wanted somewhere warm. We considered all kinds of places...Dallas, Phoenix, Tampa, Atlanta, Houston, etc... House went on the market in April, sold 3 days later. We made a few solo trips down to Atlanta for job interviews, area searching, etc... and in late June we packed up and drove to Atlanta.

3.5 years later...I miss Philly something awful, but I do NOT miss winter. Never again.

I see Atlanta looks like a winter wonderland. Winter must have missed you! lol.

It's exactly the reason why I currently live in North Carolina. I can tolerate a small amount which is pretty much what happens here. Once in awhile we have a hefty snow fall, but, not often. Just before I moved here on the day after Christmas 2010 there was a 10 inch snow storm here. I was visiting my daughter and looking for an affordable apartment so I stayed until after the 1st of the year. I then went home to Vermont to start packing and planning. By the time I left, in fact by three days after Christmas the snow was gone. I left Vermont on April 15th, 2011 and everyday from the 3rd of January until and including April 15th, it snowed. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of dodge. Since I moved here we have never had more then 3 inches of snow all winter. We did have about a dozen freezing rain storms, which are worse, but, again are only a day and gone.

Last edited:

My friends in Dalton GA and Atlanta both are getting snow.

We're in north FL and getting a lot of cold rain, thunder and lightning.

I’ve never liked the winter. I don’t like snow. I lived in NE for two years and it has made me the most positive person around about my area’s (just barely in the south) fake winter. People will be complaining about it being 40 degrees, on a random cold day, and I’m happily going about my business properly layered. It’s not 10 degrees, before we factor in wind chill. I don’t have to scrape/brush snow off my car. I don’t have to wonder if I’ll need to shovel to be able to move my car. I can still feel my fingers after getting gas. It’s wonderful.

OP - I've been meaning to ask you about your user name. Is it a play on something? Or is there an unintentional typo?

Just a typo, I didn't pay attention when I set up my account. I was rocking a sleeping baby and typing one handed. The error never bothered me, so I just kept it.

Not sure where you're located but I'm in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo NY area and while I'm not a huge fan of cold and snow I'll take 7ft of lake effect and wind chills of -30 during a blizzard over areas that are known for numerous tornadoes, hurricanes, or earthquakes any day.

Today its 48 and sunny.
Wednesday night into Thursday its going to be crazy lake effect. If I didn't have to be to a doctor appointment Thursday morning I would not mind it at all.
Funny! It’s been 37 & raining here today for 3 days straight. I told someone today I’ll take the heat & threat of hurricanes any day over this! I feel like heat I can get cooled off much easier & clothes are more comfortable & the hurricanes aren’t every yr. I told her I could never live up north! I can’t take the cold & wet

Measured 9 inches of snow on my deck this morning in Kennesaw, GA. This is by far the most snow I have seen since leaving Chicago and Detroit in 2005.

Not sure where you're located but I'm in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo NY area and while I'm not a huge fan of cold and snow I'll take 7ft of lake effect and wind chills of -30 during a blizzard over areas that are known for numerous tornadoes, hurricanes, or earthquakes any day.

Not me!! Deep south LA girl, but doesn't mean everywhere south is in danger of hurricanes or tornadoes all the time! Unless you live fairly near the gulf coast the danger of hurricanes is usually limited to some winds and rain - we never left for hurricanes. As for tornadoes, they are random, and no way to totally escape the potential of one anywhere from mid west, east, and south. Now, for fire and earthquake prone areas - not this girl!!

I could never be comfortable with all that cold and snow - hate the thought of being 'house bound' (would be for me anyway :)

It's definitely to each their own! :goodvibes

Do you realize how 'very' unusual some of this white stuff hitting the south?? Everyone loves it, so exciting!! My sis in Hammond, LA got 5+ inches - a real holiday there as it doesn't stay long at all - ground too warm!

I see Atlanta looks like a winter wonderland. Winter must have missed you! lol.

Yes...nearly 9" of wet, heavy snow here in Dallas, GA (about 30 miles north of the city). No cell service, lights flickering. Snow on the grass is 9" deep, and on the paved streets it's about 5" of thick and heavy snow. No plows. I live at the bottom of a .25 mile long steep hill. I'm literally and completely stuck. Was supposed to be at a race track today driving, but can't even get out of my driveway. Of all days to have literally record breaking snowfall... But on the bright side, my kids are having a blast. The hill on our house is so steep that the front of the house is street level (of course) but the deck on the back of the house had to be supported by metal beams because it was too high up to use wood posts...it's about 20' up. Every kid on the block is in my yard right now sledding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter