I don't even know what to expect. Temporary disabled

Simba's Girl

DIS Veteran
I busted my foot up bad during the marathon this year and am finally able to schedule surgery for mid-July. I will be either partial wt bearing or total non wt bearing during our trip 5/6 weeks later. I'm used to being active so this has put a damper on my activities and I have no idea what to expect. I did rent an ECV (from Gold thanks to this board) and plan on bringing an iWalk crutch with me.

We are staying in SL GF, I'm assuming the ECV will fit in our room to be charged.

I'm concerned about the steps over/up on the rides (I read the FAQs this morning) I suppose it'll be do able I'll just need to get used to it. My plan is to park the scooter and crutch to the ride, is it possible to pass the crutch to a CM where they'll hold it for me until we exit? I can't see holding it on some of the rides.

Yes, the CMs will take it for you and give it to you when you get off. Often, you exit from a different location and they have been great at getting my cane to me. A couple times I've had them set my cane to the side and needed my husband to get out of the car and grab it for me, but probably 90% of the time, there'll be a CM standing right there ready to hand it to me.

I busted my foot up bad during the marathon this year and am finally able to schedule surgery for mid-July. I will be either partial wt bearing or total non wt bearing during our trip 5/6 weeks later. I'm used to being active so this has put a damper on my activities and I have no idea what to expect. I did rent an ECV (from Gold thanks to this board) and plan on bringing an iWalk crutch with me.

We are staying in SL GF, I'm assuming the ECV will fit in our room to be charged.

I'm concerned about the steps over/up on the rides (I read the FAQs this morning) I suppose it'll be do able I'll just need to get used to it. My plan is to park the scooter and crutch to the ride, is it possible to pass the crutch to a CM where they'll hold it for me until we exit? I can't see holding it on some of the rides.
I am so sorry to hear you hurt your food I hope you have a fast recovery.

A few tips about the ECV I take it you do not normally use an ECV. If so I would drive it around your resort when you first get it. Does not need to be for long 5-10 minutes just so you get the hang of how it works ( turns, backs up stop and goes )

If you are taking the Disney bus you will load first. the first thing you will want to do is turn your ECV as slow as it will go ( there will be a knob that has a turtle and a rabbit turtle is the slow speed) You will drive on straight up a ramp and then make a sharp 90 degree turn the sets will be up where the driver wants you to park go beyond the set and back it ( like parral parking a car) You will be the last ones off the bus,

You should have no problems getting the ECV in your room and make sure you charge it at night.

the battery should last all day but you will need to turn it off ( turn the key and they should be able to show you when you drop it off) when your sitting still for more than a few seconds

you can take it in most lines a few you will need to use a wheelchair for so I would buy a cheap bandana/ ribbon and tie it on the ECV so that when you return the ECV you can find it easier

get a towel and put on the set lets just say the FL hot sun on a black set is not fun.

bring a poncho for you and the ECV for if it rains ( if you get off to go on a ride and it looks like rain put it on the ECV if it is not undercover also the thing you use to drive on most should not get wet ( you can ask the rent people if anything should or should not get wet) but most find one of the cheap shower caps works great at keeping this dry

The CM can move your crutch to the unlead area I found the CM think people can walk a few steps to get them back if this is not the case and you are alone you might have to ask the CM to get them for you

as fair as getting in and out of the ride will you have any PT or can you see if you can practice at home with stepping over something ( like a shew box maybe) so that you can see if it would be doable. if you have PT talk to them about getting on off rides.

when you first start out go slow until you get used to things

and one last thing have fun you will be at Disney.

I would take the ECV in the queue with you where possible, it will help keep you from getting tired as quickly.

You should be fine with getting the ECV into the room to charge it.

As the poster said above, tie a bandana on the handle to help you find your ECV. I also used the bandana to drape over the controls in dark areas. Those lights on the controls are very bright!

don't know if I have given these tips to you on another post but 2 things one when leaving ECV outside fold back of seat down if possible and 2 when putting a poncho on make sure the back of poncho goes over you and the back of seat so rain doesn't get between you and seat back. plus as another said take ECV with you in lines yes there are a few lines where you have to transfer to a wheelchair there at the ride Pirates comes to mind. good planning on also having the crutch. have a great trip and dont tire the walking members of your party out too much

I tended to need my cane/crutch to get down into boat rides like Pirates and Living with the Land, but even the crutch fit easily across the boat floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter