COMPLETE - "I DON'T LIKE MY FAMILY!!" — A May WDW Solo Mini-Trip Report + A Summer of Art

PHOTO CHALLENGE:

Over the course of the day, I managed to complete my Epcot World Showcase photo challenge! One unique photo from every pavilion. Some of the photos I've already shared with you were contenders, but in the end these were the ones I picked...

MEXICO

g3GBBiD.jpg

NORWAY

ukAg3jr.jpg

CHINA

UkvDL4T.jpg

GERMANY

bMy9Jdg.jpg

ITALY

La0ift4.jpg

AMERICA

hyb3WwC.jpg

JAPAN

BSIrSvN.jpg

MOROCCO

1jlXUWk.jpg

FRANCE

vO8KXRb.jpg

UK

PnA5dzN.jpg

CANADA

546btrZ.jpg

I had fun exploring the pavilions more intently than I normally would to take these photos—which, really, was the purpose of the challenge in the first place—and I think they're kind of neat. They're all as different from each other as the pavilions are, and all valuable to me in preserving my memories of my trip. :goodvibes

Before too long it was time for a little bedtime Duffy with Duffy, and then we were off to bed.

R1G8XcQ.jpg

What is this? :earseek: They really have this on the TVs at Disney? We would totally show this to the boys to help them wind down at bedtime!

I had fun exploring the pavilions more intently than I normally would to take these photos—which, really, was the purpose of the challenge in the first place—and I think they're kind of neat. They're all as different from each other as the pavilions are, and all valuable to me in preserving my memories of

I love these! :thumbsup2

I continued with my tour around the WS, trying to stop and smell the roses a little more than I normally would on a trip with others,

That's the beauty of going solo. You set the pace. And that can be as quick or as slow as you want.

I hadn't ever really paid that much attention to the Shanghai Disney exhibit here before, and I thought the little characters as the zodiac signs were pretty adorable.

Haven't seen that. Is it new?

I also took a photo in Norway of something I've rarely ever seen before...an empty Frozen queue line and surrounding area:

This is possible? Even with the ride down, I'd just assume that there'd be a line.

I made a snap decision to pop inside the pavilion. No sooner had I stepped inside the doors, when the floodgates opened, and the rain poured down violently in true Florida style.

Good timing!

I pulled out my giant ziplocks and my waterproof crocs sandals from my backpack, zipped up all my belongings including my sneakers, and decided to brave the rain.

You is one prepared lady!

everyone else in the park seemed to be sheltered inside shops

Disney must love rain. "Oh! It's raining! Come inside! Spend all your money."

I asked a photopass photographer to document my "drowned rat" state. She didn't seem to understand why I wanted a photo of that, but she took it anyway. Some people just don't understand the importance of thorough trip reporting!

::yes::

For a "drowned rat", you look pretty darned good!

it turns out that Music seems to be my favourite of the three All Star Resorts,

Me too. I haven't stayed at the others... They just don't appeal to me. I'll stay at ASMu, thanks.

We were both feeling a little peckish, so we split a kids' meal at Sunshine Seasons.

Bear's gotta eat.

Wow! What a beautiful shot! Nice, Meghan!

Canada was my last pavilion for Duffy-stamping, and the CM and I had a great chat. She was most recently from "out west," but she had grown up in, or lived near most of the places I've lived on the east coast, so we had lots in common. :goodvibes

:)

My mom had requested I pick up another princess doll for my little niece, and one of my friends from home also wanted me to find some mystery pin packs for her, so I wandered around Future World a bit and did some shopping.

Nice of you. :)

CapDuff noticed a photopass photographer without a line and politely asked her for a photo with Figment. She was a little confused, but she obliged.

:laughing: "Don't ask. Just take the photo."

This show is so special to me since it was a recurring theme in our wedding/honeymoon, and it made me feel close to N to be watching it.

:hug:

He's much better at selfie walls than I am.

Of course. He's a super hero bear after all.

I'd had a wonderful first solo day, and I never felt alone with all the fun things I did, and with all the wonderful new people I'd met, as evidenced here...

:goodvibes

Some of the photos I've already shared with you were contenders, but in the end these were the ones I picked...

All are really good, but these are my faves:

Wow.

Love your WS photo challenge, very nice!

The first solo day looks like a nice time with Duffy, despite the rain

When we stayed at AoA, our room was closer to Pop so we often ate over there and used the bus there.

That's the beauty of going solo. You set the pace. And that can be as quick or as slow as you want.

One of the definite perks. I love the freedom. It's awesome to be able to knock out one ride after the next on your own terms, but also to be able to take as much time as you want. :goodvibes

Haven't seen that. Is it new?

I'm not sure when they put it in. I don't remember it being there when we went a couple of years ago, though I may just not have taken the time to look. Though I supposed Shanghai Disneyland has only been open for a couple of years anyway.

You is one prepared lady!

I try! As Edna Mode would say, "Luck favours the prepared."

Disney must love rain. "Oh! It's raining! Come inside! Spend all your money."

Right?! I can only imagine how well this works to their advantage.

Wow! What a beautiful shot! Nice, Meghan!

Thanks so much! I had good material to work with. Nothing photographs quite like a monorail. :)

Thanks! :goodvibes

Love your WS photo challenge, very nice!

The first solo day looks like a nice time with Duffy, despite the rain

When we stayed at AoA, our room was closer to Pop so we often ate over there and used the bus there.

Thanks so much! It was a fun way to get around the world without doing your typical "drink around the world" type challenge.

It's funny how that can happen at the value resorts! It was great though. It wasn't a great location at Movies, but it was almost like having a preferred room at Music.

I guess more of a seasoning blend, really, but we got the Everything But the Bagel seasoning blend, and the chili lime one. We don't have Trader Joe's here, so it's a treat!
I love the Everything Bagel blend!!! So good! I love it. Trader Joe's is the best.

No sooner had I stepped inside the doors, when the floodgates opened, and the rain poured down violently in true Florida style. Unsuspecting folks were racing around outside, seeking shelter. I waited out the storm in here:
Good timing. And you could have worse places to have to wait.

I asked a photopass photographer to document my "drowned rat" state. She didn't seem to understand why I wanted a photo of that, but she took it anyway. Some people just don't understand the importance of thorough trip reporting!

Q60vJDn.jpg
I love it ! And so many people just don't understand.

Blech! (The lady in the blue shirt behind me appears to think so as well!)
Ha!

We were both feeling a little peckish, so we split a kids' meal at Sunshine Seasons.

2bQW36A.jpg
I hear Cap Duffy really likes Applesauce

As the sun was just starting to go down, I took one of my favourite shots from the trip. :lovestruc Epcot, you're a star!

m04AHKZ.jpg
Great shot!

CapDuff noticed a photopass photographer without a line and politely asked her for a photo with Figment. She was a little confused, but she obliged.

8BOIDmt.jpg
Awsome!

pEmgyRO.jpg

He's much better at selfie walls than I am.
OMG, Too Funny!

Before too long it was time for a little bedtime Duffy with Duffy, and then we were off to bed.

R1G8XcQ.jpg
I can't believe I didn't know about this before!

PHOTO CHALLENGE:
I love this idea! And I think all of us should do this! Great photos.

I also took a photo in Norway of something I've rarely ever seen before...an empty Frozen queue line and surrounding area:

Wow I've never seen it that empty!

Unsuspecting folks were racing around outside, seeking shelter. I waited out the storm in here:

Perfect place! That's where I was hoping to get on my last trip, but I got stuck at the African Outpost instead, which was NOT perfect

She didn't seem to understand why I wanted a photo of that, but she took it anyway.

:sad2: It's funny to remember! Of course you want a picture!

Mmm love those applesauce packets!

So pretty!

One of the definite perks. I love the freedom. It's awesome to be able to knock out one ride after the next on your own terms, but also to be able to take as much time as you want. :goodvibes

I'm not sure when they put it in. I don't remember it being there when we went a couple of years ago, though I may just not have taken the time to look. Though I supposed Shanghai Disneyland has only been open for a couple of years anyway.

No idea. It may have been there when I was there, but I just didn't go look.

I try! As Edna Mode would say, "Luck favours the prepared."

Ziplocks and no capes!

Thanks so much! I had good material to work with. Nothing photographs quite like a monorail. :)

Sounds like a great start to your solo time. I would love to do a solo trip sometime. I was planning one for December but my sister and brother-in-law are coming with me now.

Absolutely love your WS photo challenge. What a great idea! And good thing you made the adorable Captain America Duffy. Not sure if you heard but Duffy is now gone and they have some sort of passport thing. I'm sure Casey will enjoy doing something new, but sadly this now means Duffy is largely gone from WS. So sad.

Good timing. And you could have worse places to have to wait.

Definitely! It's a great pavilion, and perfectly sheltered from the weather. It ended up serving me well for rain twice on this trip, actually.

I hear Cap Duffy really likes Applesauce

That he does! So do I, so we fight over it.

Great shot!

Thanks!

I can't believe I didn't know about this before!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Duffy bedtime story! It's cute.

I love this idea! And I think all of us should do this! Great photos.

Thanks!

Perfect place! That's where I was hoping to get on my last trip, but I got stuck at the African Outpost instead, which was NOT perfect

Oooh yeah, that wouldn't work quite as well.

Mmm love those applesauce packets!

Me too! I'm a big go-go squeeze fan. They're my go-to extra side with kids' meals. And we buy Costco brand apple sauce pouches at home because they're cheaper, so eating the real go-go squeeze ones on vacation is like a little treat. :laughing:

So pretty!

Thanks!

Sounds like a great start to your solo time. I would love to do a solo trip sometime. I was planning one for December but my sister and brother-in-law are coming with me now.

The more the merrier, I guess! Always nice to have someone to share your trip memories with. But a solo trip was definitely a lot of fun, so I hope you get to experience it sometime. :)

Absolutely love your WS photo challenge. What a great idea! And good thing you made the adorable Captain America Duffy. Not sure if you heard but Duffy is now gone and they have some sort of passport thing. I'm sure Casey will enjoy doing something new, but sadly this now means Duffy is largely gone from WS. So sad.

Thanks so much! And yeah, I'm so disappointed that Duffy will be gone! But I'm glad that I made one just in time.

Thanks so much, Liesa! Epcot is so photogenic. There will be more photos to share soon.

I know; I love it too! But think AK edges it out just a scooch now. But you did very well and I loved your photo challenge. I have one too coming up in a couple of months and I'm going to announce it in the brand new TR I'm launching soon!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! I'm so looking forward to the granddaddy of all Dismeets in such a beautiful atmosphere. :lovestruc

ME TOO!!! I finally get to meet you and get to know you better! :banana:

I continued with my tour around the WS, trying to stop and smell the roses a little more than I normally would on a trip with others

That's exactly why I love solo trips. A slower pace and time to take in all of those delicious details the Imagineers try so hard to put in.

7tGivrE.jpg

I was like WOOT! at first, but then realized it was because it was down. LOL!

but I made a snap decision to pop inside the pavilion.

GREAT decision! A nice roomy one with some personal space too. :)

Some people just don't understand the importance of thorough trip reporting!

:rotfl2: It's true!!!

I noticed the lady behind you first. Nice scowl! :rotfl:

Gorgeous! Nicely done!

I had NO clue what that sentence meant until I saw the photo. I have never heard of this before. Cute!

Love the orange bird magic shot.

We did the Duffy sticks last time we were there as well. I also printed a page with a Mickey head of each World Showcase Countries flag and had the CM's stamp it and write a Christmas greeting on the back as we went in November last time it was fun. I read though that they were changing it to some passport thing for kids and I'm wondering will big kids be allowed to do that as well.
Your Captain Duf-merica turned out fab!

Love the pic of the doggie but the poor thing looks so hot.

CapDuff is seriously the best :) Also reading about your Epcot time makes me want to get back there sooner to wander world showcase! My kiddo got sick last year so we didn't get to spend nearly enough time there and I can't wait until we're back in November!

Love all the pavilion shots. Such a fun idea while exploring the WS.
I feel like both you and @Steppesister come up with great ways to explore Epcot (her find an inexpensive souvenir hunt is cool) and I really want to try something along these lines the next time I'm there without the kids.

Darn that rain! I was going to say thank goodness you made it into Mexico in time, but you still ended up getting soaked anyway! I love the photo of you braving the rain! I hate when PP photographers look at you weird when you want to do a pose that's outside of the box.

Your afternoon with Duffy sounds like it was a blast! :) I absolutely love all the photos you took of him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!