I don't want to be rude

Yeah, I wouldn't advise trying this. People are already upset about how crowded the parties are and the long lines, tensions can run high. If you drop 5 extra ppl in line last minute, you run a very high risk someone calling you out. Can you imagine if every person in line had 5 other people run up and join them? How would you feel if all the families on front of you had extras jump in front while you've waitied the 3 hours? What makes your family any more special than all the other families that have to wait their turns? I know the long lines and waiting are no fun, but it is part of the deal.

Is it a particular meet and greet that one of the littles is dying to meet? Would they even be aware if they missed it? In your situation, I'd let the older kids wait in line with 1 parent and have the other parent take the little kids to do something fun, and just skip the party meet and greets if they can't wait in line.

Full disclosure: We have only done 1 meet and greet per party each year. DD always finds another kid in line near us to play with while we wait. We try to pick a line that isn't too insanely long, but usually end up with an hour wait and she does fine. I would be mad about wasting more than an hour of party time to take a photo with a college age kid in a costume.

"If you have to ask...you know the answer." - Yes, it would be too much for one person to hold a place in line while 5 others rode rides.

It is OK (in my opinion) if you've all been waiting in line, but then a toddler has a bathroom emergency, for one parent to take that kid out and come back to join the bigger group.

Last edited:
If your 2 year old knows colors, “I Spy” is a great game for waiting in line. ;) I’m assuming the older ones would be able to play. “Would You Rather” is a fun one, too. I agree with all of the posters who said that it is best if everyone, or at least the older kids, wait in line with you. I understand wanting to maximize the “fun” time for the kids, but there are ways to make the wait fun. :) To me, if you make a habit out of things like this, you might end up reinforcing a somewhat entitled idea that lines or long waits apply to others and not them.

So we did this at MVMCP about 3 years ago. It was when the Zootopia characters were super popular, and you could only meet them at the party. Normally, I wouldn't have even considered this, but the CMS encouraged us to take the kids do a few things and come back. The entire line was outside. It was about 3 hours long. Zootopia was my 2 year old (at the time) fav. movie. My mom got in line and waited. DH and I took turns waiting with her and taking the kids to do other things. We got cookies and hot chocolate and brought some back for our family that were waiting. We did the People Mover and Buzz. We didn't walk up right as it was time to meet the characters. All of us waited the last 40 min. or so. I would say normally this is a definite no, but during a party with a crazy wait, I might consider it. especially if you have CMS suggesting you do it. All the families around us were doing the same that night.
I agree. I think what y’all did was perfectly acceptable. And skipping something YOU want to do b/c your toddler can’t wait is not the same us skipping something the child would love & may never be into again b/c all of that is so fleeting.

Last edited:
Kids are 2, 4, 6, 8, and 11. The younger ones are why I considered holding the spot. They don't do well in super long lines.
It's always a good time to teach kids patience. And for parents to learn how to help their children occupy time.

Yeah don't be "that guy" just have everyone wait in line.
Unless you have churros for everyone you cut in line.

Last edited:
I know at other parks what you described is literally the definition of line jumping. I have seen signs at other places saying holding spots in line for other people or re-entering the line after using the bathroom is line jumping. I’m sure Disney has their own definition and will enforce them how they see fit but I doubt their official definition is much different than other parks.
Disney makes lots of accommodations for guests with special needs which allow shortened waits so I know they will deal with individual situations differently so it may not hurt to ask for your situation. On the other hand there are probably hundreds of not thousands of guest with similar situations that visit the park every day. How would you feel if hundreds of people with the same idea as you all waited in line in front of you?

Well, folks, thank you all for the input. I will not be holding a spot in line. I'm pretty sure it would tick me off if someone did it in front of my. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else....and boy did you guys deliver! :)

Seriously, though, thanks for keeping me from being the dude that makes everyone mad.

"If you have to ask...you know the answer." - Yes, it would be too much for one person to hold a place in line while 5 others rode rides.

It is OK (in my opinion) if you've all been waiting in line, but then a toddler has a bathroom emergency, for one parent to take that kid out and come back to join the bigger group.
Yep. You hit the nail on the head with your first comment!

I wouldn't really have an issue for a character meet with a very small child, but you've hit on one of my Disney pet peeves.

I always go as a single mom or (single grandmother now!), since my husband won't go.

My GS was 5 when we went. And he and I waited in the TSM for about 75 minutes. We were in line with parties of 1 and two, and it turns out that MANY had grandma/dad/someone hold a spot while the families went off to meet Buzz Lightyear and do the Disney Jr. They texted back and forth, and as the line finally got near the part where we all were entering the ride area, hordes of people rushed in. Many were families of 4 or so, saying "excuse me, excuse me". One was behind us, and was joined by her grown daughters and about 4 kids.

There were two reasons I was livid- my 5 year old GS didn't enjoy standing there for 75 minutes and he would have loved to go off and meet Buzz and Woody or see the Disney Jr show but he wanted to ride TSM and so he had to wait. And wait. And Wait. Then, when about 25 people pushed in front of us to join their "spots", we had to wait even longer.

Line jumping? Or just rude and thoughtless? I think both. Consider that many children go with just mom, or just dad, or just grandma, and how unfair it is to those children who patiently wait (or impatiently wait) as a dozen or more push past us mid-way through.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but that's a point of view from someone who has a very limited family, but really wants the kids (and now grandkids) to experience Disney.

be warned - cast members have been putting a stop to it and not allowing people to meet up - even with smaller kids - so be prepared that that might happen

I like that approach. If you have small kids and a 'potty emergency', a CM can give you a return or FP, as we all know these things happen. And parents and others are so forgiving.

Disney is FULL of kids and it's magical and wonderful. But if 30% of the kids had a parent hold a space so they could go off and do more fun things, it would be even worse waiting in line than it is now.

That sounds harsh, but I think we all need to realize that many of us are there with toddlers and small children- I mean it's Disney!

I wouldn't really have an issue for a character meet with a very small child, but you've hit on one of my Disney pet peeves.

I always go as a single mom or (single grandmother now!), since my husband won't go.

My GS was 5 when we went. And he and I waited in the TSM for about 75 minutes. We were in line with parties of 1 and two, and it turns out that MANY had grandma/dad/someone hold a spot while the families went off to meet Buzz Lightyear and do the Disney Jr. They texted back and forth, and as the line finally got near the part where we all were entering the ride area, hordes of people rushed in. Many were families of 4 or so, saying "excuse me, excuse me". One was behind us, and was joined by her grown daughters and about 4 kids.

There were two reasons I was livid- my 5 year old GS didn't enjoy standing there for 75 minutes and he would have loved to go off and meet Buzz and Woody or see the Disney Jr show but he wanted to ride TSM and so he had to wait. And wait. And Wait. Then, when about 25 people pushed in front of us to join their "spots", we had to wait even longer.

Line jumping? Or just rude and thoughtless? I think both. Consider that many children go with just mom, or just dad, or just grandma, and how unfair it is to those children who patiently wait (or impatiently wait) as a dozen or more push past us mid-way through.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but that's a point of view from someone who has a very limited family, but really wants the kids (and now grandkids) to experience Disney.
Those are really good points and I feel like a jerk for even asking this question at this point. Thanks for bringing me back to Earth.

That's kinda what I was afraid of happening and want to avoid. I don't want to be 'that guy' by any means. Guess I just needed someone to tell me that would be the case. My brain didn't want to be objective.

Yes, you already knew the answer. LOL! Seriously, turn those tables around and think how your kids would feel if they packed their patience and were waiting for their turn but several families jumped inline to skip the wait. It is just not an acceptable practice.

WHen I took the little girls on my street to WDW with us, my DD and I spent months taking them to dinner and shopping and all the while having them practice their Best Disney Manners. You would be surprised how well kids can behave when they have an incentive to learn and are held to a standard where they know the boundary lines. It does not happen in a vaccuum though, so I woudl suggest practice. Shopping and Lines in a department store can mirror WDW queues, and allow for kids to practice how to distract themselves, and dinners out, no matter how inexpensive the restaurant you choose is, can give them a place to practice inside voices etc. Good luck!

Those are really good points and I feel like a jerk for even asking this question at this point. Thanks for bringing me back to Earth.

Heck no- if you were a jerk you wouldn't have even thought to ask!

I understand the desire to do it, of course, and I would have loved to cut our wait and have to do other things than standing in line- but it's not fair at all to those "losers" like me who stand in the line because there are no other alternatives, plus it's the right thing to do.

I like that approach. If you have small kids and a 'potty emergency', a CM can give you a return or FP, as we all know these things happen. And parents and others are so forgiving.

Disney is FULL of kids and it's magical and wonderful. But if 30% of the kids had a parent hold a space so they could go off and do more fun things, it would be even worse waiting in line than it is now.

That sounds harsh, but I think we all need to realize that many of us are there with toddlers and small children- I mean it's Disney!

That is pretty much what was happeneing - we ended up having to vouch for the family that had been behind us - she had left with the baby and stroller to go to the baby care center to nurse and it was in between a CM Shift Change - I walked over to the CM and vouched that she had bee in in line - showed a selfie of myself and my husband that she had been in in the corner - the CM let her back in line

I'll admit I did this at MNSSHP a few years back. Line for Winnie the Pooh & friends photo op. I stood in the line while my mother and daughter got a snack. Line was very long (those characters take breaks very frequently) and most people doing the same. I don't mind it as much at character photo ops, especially at MNSSHP when you could spend the entire party in line to meet characters and still not meet them all. We still only took one picture, took as much time for a picture with three people as one. My daughter hugged each of them, we took a picture, that was it. I would never do it on a ride, as you are delaying the ride for those behind you, taking up seats you didn't wait for.

I hear you. With the exception of our most recent trip when my mom was with us, I am always alone with my 2 children. Until the last couple of trips since my daughter is older, there's no switching off, splitting up, or anything like that. We either all wait or we all miss it. OP, good for you for asking and considering others.

Well, folks, thank you all for the input. I will not be holding a spot in line. I'm pretty sure it would tick me off if someone did it in front of my. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else....and boy did you guys deliver! :)

Seriously, though, thanks for keeping me from being the dude that makes everyone mad.
500 churros would probably seal the deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter