I had a horrible time on Soarin’

stephnerninnie1984

Earning My Ears
So I have a fear of heights but after years of avoiding it, finally mustered up the courage to take a ride on Soarin’! I read all about it on the Disboards, and has talked myself into it.

And I was ok. I was on the 2nd to the bottom row, and I was ok. We lifted in the air, the clouds started, and I started to freak out. My chest started tightening, my breathing quickened, i was panicking! I looked at my sister in law who was a few seats down from me and said “I am freaking out”. She told me to look to the side of the screen and I did which helped. And every now and then I would side glance over to the screen and look. But I wasn’t comfortable until we were back on the ground.

I’m really kind of sad I didn’t love it! Or even like it! But I think I *might* be willing to do it again. Give it one more try now that I know what to expect. We’ll see!

We wanted to love Soarin' too, but didn't. My husband and I (and most of our family) get motion sickness. Ironically, my husband and I experienced slight motion sickness at the two exact same spots (we discussed it afterwards and laughed at the irony) during the ride. We had avoided Soarin' for years!! We will probably give it another try on another trip!

I'm thinking that now that you know what to expect you might try it again, right!!??

Good for you! If you do decide to do it again, remember that if you tell the CM's there where you'd like to sit and why, you may have to wait a round, but they are usually accommodating. My cousin has a fear of heights but wanted to do it, so we asked for the lowest row and to one side.

The first time I rode it I had to close my eyes. After about 3 rides I was better and now I try to ride it 1-2 times per trip. I enjoy it. Hopefully your next ride is better!

I'm no longer afflicted with fear on those type of rides but, for anything that is motion simulated, I find that closing my eyes solves the problem. The Star Tours, Mission Space, Soarin', FOP (probably - haven't ridden yet), etc., rely on "tricking your brain" with visuals. Once you close your eyes, you remove most of the stimulation that's causing the problem.

I hear ya, I have a pretty big fear of heights so Sorin' really gets my heart pounding. I am able to ride it and enjoy it since I really work on reminding myself its safe, and its a projection and I'm really not very high of the ground. In the future ask about sitting in the back row, you might need to wait a round but the CMs try to be accommodating that way you're even close to the real ground.

We did FOP once, don't think my wife and I will do it again, the fear of heights wasn't an issue but for some time after the right she really felt queasy it really messed with her equilibrium, but Sorin' was just fine.

My family talked me into it (California version). I have a fear of heights and bridges and the first scene goes over the Golden Gate Bridge so that was it for me! I had to basically close my eyes and squint open a couple of times. I didn't like the feeling of movement either. I walked off, sat down on a bench and my DD said "So, how did you like it?" At which time I started sobbing and couldn't control it for a good 10 minutes. So, never again for me.

The first time I rode it I had to close my eyes. After about 3 rides I was better and now I try to ride it 1-2 times per trip. I enjoy it. Hopefully your next ride is better!

Staring to the side at the wall (at the edge of the screen) really helped me to calm down. I’m hoping next time it’s better! If not, you can count me out and that’s ok. I sit other things out as well, like Everest, Splash, and Space.

We wanted to love Soarin' too, but didn't. My husband and I (and most of our family) get motion sickness. Ironically, my husband and I experienced slight motion sickness at the two exact same spots (we discussed it afterwards and laughed at the irony) during the ride. We had avoided Soarin' for years!! We will probably give it another try on another trip!

I'm thinking that now that you know what to expect you might try it again, right!!??

Exactly! We’ll see! If after the 2nd time I have the same reaction, I’m good. No more lol!

I’ve never had the courage to try Soarin. The height is bad enough but the dangling feet is just too much. At least you tried.

That's a bummer, but at least you tried! I finally went on this a couple years ago but between a fear of heights and motion sickness I was pretty scared. I had the opposite experience once it got going though and literally cried with joy because it was the closest I'd ever get to the real thing and it was amazing.

But my attempt at Rock and Roller Coaster in January was a horrible failure.

Maybe Row 3 would be a little easier if you know how much closer to the ground you actually are?

Was it at the pyramids in Egypt?

Next time you might ask to be on the bottom row. It migh help.
Good luck next time.

Bravo for trying!

Don't ever go in the top row and look down before the film starts. I'm not afraid of heights, but was still pretty surprised how high up we were! The bottom row isn't that high, really.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter