I had a horrible time on Soarin’

So I have a fear of heights but after years of avoiding it, finally mustered up the courage to take a ride on Soarin’! I read all about it on the Disboards, and has talked myself into it.

And I was ok. I was on the 2nd to the bottom row, and I was ok. We lifted in the air, the clouds started, and I started to freak out. My chest started tightening, my breathing quickened, i was panicking! I looked at my sister in law who was a few seats down from me and said “I am freaking out”. She told me to look to the side of the screen and I did which helped. And every now and then I would side glance over to the screen and look. But I wasn’t comfortable until we were back on the ground.

I’m really kind of sad I didn’t love it! Or even like it! But I think I *might* be willing to do it again. Give it one more try now that I know what to expect. We’ll see!

As someone who has a fear of heights, i can tell you that it does getter better (Soarin). The first time i rode it, it freaked me out a little.. not as bad as you from the sound of it but it certainly effected me negatively where i closed my eyes some and took deep breaths.. but after a few rides.... especially on the lower tier i got quickly got over it.. and in fact rode middle/top a few times with little to no anxiety! :)

We all have rides that don’t work for us. I personally will not do ToT( don’t like drops) and space (too jerky) and DH won’t do most the coasters ( he’s a baby lol) and only about 1/2 the simulation rides. ( motion sickness) it’s ok not to be comfortable on a ride and only ride if you really want to( except in my DH case in who has a love/hate relationship with Everest. Love hearing him squeal like a 10 year old girl haha but it’s a good fear for him)

We all have rides that don’t work for us. I personally will not do ToT( don’t like drops) and space (too jerky) and DH won’t do most the coasters ( he’s a baby lol) and only about 1/2 the simulation rides. ( motion sickness) it’s ok not to be comfortable on a ride and only ride if you really want to( except in my DH case in who has a love/hate relationship with Everest. Love hearing him squeal like a 10 year old girl haha but it’s a good fear for him)

I cannot!!!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

That'll be me and my son when we go in June! Don't judge! :lmao::lmao:

I cannot!!!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

That'll be me and my son when we go in June! Don't judge! :lmao::lmao:

I can’t help it. But I promise to only judge DH. DH portrays this tough guy image all the time so I love hearing him scream. Luckily the one time he rode RnRc there were no children on it. He cursed the entire ride and the music was off so all you could hear was his screams of profanities. He refuses to that ever again. But I would never make him or even encourage anything that truly bothered him. He gets motion sick easily so most those rides are out.

Luckily the one time he rode RnRc there were no children on it. He cursed the entire ride and the music was off so all you could hear was his screams of profanities.
OMG, LOL!
I once convinced a reluctant friend to ride a coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in the rain (last run before they closed it down due to weather). She screamed, "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!!" through the entire thing while I laughed until I had tears in my eyes. We were SOAKED by the end of it, but it was so hilarious that we still talk about it.

Good times.

As for Soarin', I rode it for the first time last June and loved it (same friend was with me, and she worried she'd be sick but she wasn't and loved it as well). I had a lady beside me who whooped and laughed through the entire thing, and she got me so tickled that I was laughing along with her. I told her afterward that I wanted to follow her around and ride everything she rode because she made it even more fun than it already is!

I'm hoping my 76-year old mother can ride Soarin' next month. She has pretty severe motion sickness, but I usually get a twinge of it on the things that would really affect her, and I didn't feel anything on Soarin'. I'm a little afraid of heights too, but just enough to make it "thrilling" not enough to make it scary. I think mom will be okay. Gonna load her up with some Dramamine beforehand just to be sure. It's such a lovely ride, I hate for her to miss it, and it's the only "big ride" I think she could handle.

I can’t help it. But I promise to only judge DH. DH portrays this tough guy image all the time so I love hearing him scream. Luckily the one time he rode RnRc there were no children on it. He cursed the entire ride and the music was off so all you could hear was his screams of profanities. He refuses to that ever again. But I would never make him or even encourage anything that truly bothered him. He gets motion sick easily so most those rides are out.

My DH is a tough guy! Always! He has never done a ride that scares him. He likes them, and handles them all well! I'm jealous! :rolleyes1 I have a woonky case of motion sickness. It hits at random times. :crazy: Someone suggested something called Motion Eaze to help with that on our trip. I did well on RnRC because it was too dark to be scared. I did scream most of the ride, but loved it! My DH did that manly yell most of the ride. :rotfl2: I see EE from the outside and go.....uh! :eek: But two close friends are meeting us that day. The husband rides it frequently, so I'll let my son sit with him. He'll be much calmer than me. I'll sit with the wife and scream her ear off! :lmao:

So I have a fear of heights but after years of avoiding it, finally mustered up the courage to take a ride on Soarin’! I read all about it on the Disboards, and has talked myself into it.

And I was ok. I was on the 2nd to the bottom row, and I was ok. We lifted in the air, the clouds started, and I started to freak out. My chest started tightening, my breathing quickened, i was panicking! I looked at my sister in law who was a few seats down from me and said “I am freaking out”. She told me to look to the side of the screen and I did which helped. And every now and then I would side glance over to the screen and look. But I wasn’t comfortable until we were back on the ground.

I’m really kind of sad I didn’t love it! Or even like it! But I think I *might* be willing to do it again. Give it one more try now that I know what to expect. We’ll see!
Have you had a medical?

I really liked Soarin over California. I am not afraid of heights per se, but I don't like the feeling that I can fall. The newer Soarin' film is too much for me and I find myself closing my eyes at various points. Great job for giving it a try. That is a huge feat, me thinks.

You sound like me! My daughter & I went on it in 2013. I was so scared! I felt like I was going to fall! My legs were so shaky when we got off that I had to stand in the hall a couple of minutes before I could walk! We tried it again this past June. Same thing! I like the scenes that are low but not the high ones! I still felt like I was going to fall. Looking at the side of the screen helps. Oddly enough, I’m not afraid of heights or any rides. Lol, just Soarin’.

You sound like me! My daughter & I went on it in 2013. I was so scared! I felt like I was going to fall! My legs were so shaky when we got off that I had to stand in the hall a couple of minutes before I could walk! We tried it again this past June. Same thing! I like the scenes that are low but not the high ones! I still felt like I was going to fall. Looking at the side of the screen helps. Oddly enough, I’m not afraid of heights or any rides. Lol, just Soarin’.

Funny your not afraid of actual heights but a big screen and some fans. The mind works wonders!

Funny your not afraid of actual heights but a big screen and some fans. The mind works wonders!
I know! It’s crazy! My daughter thinks that Flight of Passage will be different because there’s something in front of me. I hope so! I don’t want to close my eyes on that one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter