I hate drug abuse...

A lot of burglary and theft crimes in my area are committed by addicts, stealing to sell for drug money.

My family are a bunch of packrats. My Grandfather was a Pre-WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vet. My gradmother kept all his uniforms, medals and souvineers from his whole 33 year career. My cousin got hooked on Marijuana and stole everything and my Grandmother's jewelry in order to support his habit.

I thought (my knowledge is increasing but still very sketchy, so forgive any ignorance) that Narcan stopped people from feeling the positive effects of drugs so why in the world would they immediately do drugs again? Like I said though, my knowledge is thin, but I'm getting an ancillary education because of other volunteer work I do.

The drug you are thinking of is naltrexone, marketed under the name Vivitrol. It's in the same class of drugs, as it is a opioid agonist, but it is timed-release, and used to retard the "high" that opioids provide, in order to help people avoid relapse.
Narcan is nalaxone; which has a different chemical composition.

While I was in the hospital, I had had SO much narcotics that when I could handle the pain why in the world would I keep taking it? Seems like asking for trouble! I started declining pain meds when I was still in a physical rehab place and just didn't want to push my luck. What if I had gotten used to pain meds? Too scary of a road to go down. My docs were like yours though, they still wrote me scripts.

I hope that all the scrutiny people on the local and national level are giving substance abuse will start to mitigate this issue. Talking about it and realizing how complicated an issue it is on something as inconsequential as a Disney board makes me really hopeful that we can start moving the needle in a positive direction.

While I agree that some physicians still over-prescribe, we don't want to go too far the other way, either. Both my father and my father-in-law died of cancer in the 1970's, when doctors were really grilled hard about prescribing opiates for pain. They took fear of reprisals to ridiculous extremes then: both of those men were denied opiates although they were clearly terminal, and for the same reason: "We can't risk the possibility that they might become addicted!" Terminal cancer patients? Both of them spent two years in agony until they died.

A couple of years ago I had a near-fatal case of Acute Pancreatitis. It's agonizingly painful, and the treatment for it is to completely stop all digestive processes until the swelling goes down, which in my case took a full month. I was not even allowed to drink water, and was fed glucose via a PIC line. Intravenous narcotics (hydromorphine in my case) blocked the pain AND the hunger and thirst and allowed my body to be comfortable while I healed. Without them I would have been tied down in agony for weeks. When I was finally discharged from the hospital I was given Vicodin to take as needed, and I took it when I needed it, but was off it within a week as I was able to safely resume eating solid foods.

Taking opioids completely off the market is not the answer, either. There is a legitimate place for the short-term use of prescription opioids in pain treatment, and they are almost always safe when used for that reason under the care of a physician. No one should ever get a long-term scrip for them unless they are doing constant blood-work to detect overuse, and having regular checkups to insure that if the condition is curable, that other treatment is being used to eliminate the source of the pain. Those who are terminal should get a regularly-delivered small supply for as much as they need to be comfortable until the end of their lives.

Whilst I fully understand and appreciate the need for medicinal applications of drugs such as Ecstasy and Marijuana, when it comes to recreational applications, I have little patience. Don't get me wrong, when people are forced on to the drugs as a form of control etc, I do get softer, but if someone gets high for the sake of high as a burden on society, stuff 'em.

And these are the ones I see almost daily at work. I work for a company that provides the court/state ordered Risk Reduction Classes. I can tell when they are registering for class which ones are not going to make it thru the whole program. They have to be ready & want to 'get clean' for most programs to work for them.
I have nothing against 'medical marijuana' but hate when someone with their eyes glazed over and can't talk clear starts talking about legalizing the recreational stuff. They say the pot doesn't affect them but they can't answer or understand the questionaire they have to fill out when registering for class.

Whilst I fully understand and appreciate the need for medicinal applications of drugs such as Ecstasy and Marijuana, when it comes to recreational applications, I have little patience. Don't get me wrong, when people are forced on to the drugs as a form of control etc, I do get softer, but if someone gets high for the sake of high as a burden on society, stuff 'em.

And these are the ones I see almost daily at work. I work for a company that provides the court/state ordered Risk Reduction Classes. I can tell when they are registering for class which ones are not going to make it thru the whole program. They have to be ready & want to 'get clean' for most programs to work for them.
I have nothing against 'medical marijuana' but hate when someone with their eyes glazed over and can't talk clear starts talking about legalizing the recreational stuff. They say the pot doesn't affect them but they can't answer or understand the questionaire they have to fill out when registering for class.

I presume neither of you two drink alcohol? I mean of course only for medicinal purposes... imagine the horror of having a drink for the recreational pleasure?

It is possible to drink a drug like Alcohol on occasion and not be a drunk and a 'burden on society'. Just like it is possible to do other drugs like Marijuana and not become an addict. I hate the generalizations and the pretending that alcohol is not a drug, it is an extremely harmful drug when abused and will kill someone a lot quicker than pot ever will. But what do I know... I just am one of those glazed over, incoherent folks who somehow managed to complete a PhD in molecular biology.

A couple of years ago I had a near-fatal case of Acute Pancreatitis. It's agonizingly painful, and the treatment for it is to completely stop all digestive processes until the swelling goes down, which in my case took a full month. I was not even allowed to drink water, and was fed glucose via a PIC line. Intravenous narcotics (hydromorphine in my case) blocked the pain AND the hunger and thirst and allowed my body to be comfortable while I healed. Without them I would have been tied down in agony for weeks. When I was finally discharged from the hospital I was given Vicodin to take as needed, and I took it when I needed it, but was off it within a week as I was able to safely resume eating solid foods.

Taking opioids completely off the market is not the answer, either. There is a legitimate place for the short-term use of prescription opioids in pain treatment, and they are almost always safe when used for that reason under the care of a physician. No one should ever get a long-term scrip for them unless they are doing constant blood-work to detect overuse, and having regular checkups to insure that if the condition is curable, that other treatment is being used to eliminate the source of the pain. Those who are terminal should get a regularly-delivered small supply for as much as they need to be comfortable until the end of their lives.

I'm so glad you recovered! A pic line by itself hurts like hell! I know very well how much needed pain meds are useful in the modern world. I simply didn't need them at some point and could "deal" then. I think it was and is cruel to deny them to people in actual need. I'm sorry if my comment wasn't clear.

I presume neither of you two drink alcohol? I mean of course only for medicinal purposes... imagine the horror of having a drink for the recreational pleasure?

It is possible to drink a drug like Alcohol on occasion and not be a drunk and a 'burden on society'. Just like it is possible to do other drugs like Marijuana and not become an addict. I hate the generalizations and the pretending that alcohol is not a drug, it is an extremely harmful drug when abused and will kill someone a lot quicker than pot ever will. But what do I know... I just am one of those glazed over, incoherent folks who somehow managed to complete a PhD in molecular biology.

Actually, I don't drink. I've just never seen the attraction.

As a liberal I see the attraction of legalisation. I won't get into a debate about it (for fear of points!) but suffice to say, it can regulate the quality of the drugs, we can tax it and so on.

My uncle took some bad weed and suffered a seizure whilst swimming. He is dead. Never got to know him, but by all accounts he was a great guy. I am biased. I make no pretences. Perhaps if the drug had been legalised it could have been cleaner. Perhaps if he had not had access to the drug he would never have died. Who knows?

I'd also like to add that my Uncle Rod downed alcohol as a recreational drug in great quantities. Put me off it. He would get roaring drunk, abuse my father and the family in general, say that stuffed toys were talking to him... eventually it killed him. Not a very positive lot, my family history! But it goes to show that recreational use of alcohol is fine - but not in extremes.

I'd also like to add that my Uncle Rod downed alcohol as a recreational drug in great quantities. Put me off it. He would get roaring drunk, abuse my father and the family in general, say that stuffed toys were talking to him... eventually it killed him. Not a very positive lot, my family history! But it goes to show that recreational use of alcohol is fine - but not in extremes.

I am sorry, that does not sound pleasant.I can understand why that would put you off...also sounds like his relationship with alcohol went beyond simple recreational and into abuse. No matter what your particular poison (booze, pot,chocolate, gambling) .... moderation in everything is key to a healthy relationship.

I am sorry, that does not sound pleasant.I can understand why that would put you off...also sounds like his relationship with alcohol went beyond simple recreational and into abuse. No matter what your particular poison (booze, pot,chocolate, gambling) .... moderation in everything is key to a healthy relationship.
I totally agree. I mean, my Uncle went way too far off the grid and he - and we - suffered for it. But I must concede that the majority of people actively control themselves. Yes, you get angry drunks at football matches, but the majority are well behaved and just have a drink to relax and for the taste.

As you so perfectly put, moderation in everything is key.

One last word of caution... Marijuana can be extremely destructive, for some. As many as one in ten are susceptible to "Cannabis Induced Psychosis", often spurred on by allergies. A friend, "Junior" we shall call him, smoked a few spliffs and ended up on the top dose of Clozapine, the strongest and most severe antipsychotic on the market. His poor mum would bring him food and he'd attack her, throwing the food against the wall.

For more information, try the lectures by Prof. Doc. Robin Murray (Priory).

BUT. TO CLARIFY. As he so simply put it, although it can be terribly dangerous, for the VAST majority of people, it can be smoked with less side effects than alcohol or tobacco. If only we had a test for it!

I guess the lesson to learn here is to try a little bit in your own home where you're safe and surrounded by loved ones. Safest way.

yes... and sometimes heroin is easier to get than the prescriptives. They all hit the same general receptors in the brain, so the high is similar, where you get differences is how long the high lasts, how it hits, how strong... for example Oxycontin vs Oxycodone... addicts usually prefer the the -contin as it is a quick rush, while the -codone was formulated into more of a time release, so the active ingredients (what kills the pain or gets you high) does not hit all at once, but is slower... so less of a high, but longer in theory. I believe that heroin was originally formulated as a medical drug, but it was too strong, it was hoped that it would be more effective than morphine, and because it was stronger, you would use less and have less addiction issues... yeah, that did not work out as planned...

And the Oxy labels are not always clear - my dad had multiple pain meds when he was dying of lung cancer. We once got the types mixed up. His dose of one was increased, we gave him the other one in the new 'higher dose' - OMG, that was scary! The doctor was way too liberal with the pain medications in the first place. At one point we had 3 different pain meds to juggle. And my dad was a pain med addict - so once he got those pills, he was done.

I've found that Vicodin is the best pain med to clear up my migraines, but I hate to take it. I've tried others, but they don't work half as well. But the thought of needing to take an opiod? After my dad basically faded away once he got his prescriptions? No thank you.

OP - I'm sorry your husband has had to struggle with these people in order to help them. I hope he stays as safe as he can, and thank him, please, for being a front line service worker in this war.

I was told what kills is the need for more of the drug to get high. The brain builds up a tolerance and needs more to get the same high. Eventually they overdose and die.

One last word of caution... Marijuana can be extremely destructive, for some. As many as one in ten are susceptible to "Cannabis Induced Psychosis", often spurred on by allergies. A friend, "Junior" we shall call him, smoked a few spliffs and ended up on the top dose of Clozapine, the strongest and most severe antipsychotic on the market. His poor mum would bring him food and he'd attack her, throwing the food against the wall.

For more information, try the lectures by Prof. Doc. Robin Murray (Priory).

BUT. TO CLARIFY. As he so simply put it, although it can be terribly dangerous, for the VAST majority of people, it can be smoked with less side effects than alcohol or tobacco. If only we had a test for it!

I guess the lesson to learn here is to try a little bit in your own home where you're safe and surrounded by loved ones. Safest way.

I live in Massachusetts, we just legalized recreational with sales starting in 2018. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Colorado seems to be loving their weed money.

No I don't drink. I grew up in a family of alcholics, some passive, some violent. Very violent. My mother was a 'functioning alcholic' for most of my life. She got up at 6am, walked to the bus stop(my drunk step father set the car on fire) worked all day, came home and drank herself to sleep. She just couldn't handle the pressure of living in hell so she joined it. She was 60yrs old when she finally stopped drinking and began to really enjoy life.
My youngest sister is a drug addict and has seizures now resulting from some of the stuff she has taken.

My older sister and I both agree that God has a sense of humor tho as both of us work at a DUI school and deal with alcholics & addicts daily. They are all good people from all walks of life. For some, one arrest and all the legal stuff they have to go thru really makes them think twice about their actions now. And like I said, I have been doing this long enough to tell from day of registration which one is not going to complete the class because they are still involved in that lifestyle and not ready to come clean.

Oh, and a lot of these students have Bachelor's & Master's degrees also so education is not a deterrent to addiction.

Three students at North Side high school in Ft Wayne Indiana took some yellow pill and overdosed on same day. All three had a class together. Police had to use Narcan.

This happened yesterday.

Drugs are an epidemic and cause so much heartache

Last edited:
Aside from all abusers there are people that benefit from the use of legally prescribed opiates under a doctor's supervision.

Several people in my family use them for Bi polar 2 & panic disorder. Extended release Xanax can be a wonderful thing for people suffering from mental illness.

There is an upside here. It is not all negative.

My cousin died in April from a heroin overdose. Teenage life was rough for him and he started out with stealing percocet and other pain meds from family members and eventually went to heroin. He was in a restricted rehab center for several months after a jail term, and it seemed like he really wanted to turn things around; he had an infant son. He had a lapse and they found him dead in his bunk. He was 29. His son just turned 3 last week. I really was hoping the rehab would help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter