• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I have a question for anyone who has flown out of JFK in NYC recently

Helopoh

<font color=3300FF>Who me jump??<br><font color=FF
In my entire life as a NY'er I have never used JFK airport. I would like someone who has been there recently to just give me a heads up on the security proceedures they are using and what to expect? Thanks in Advance.

Denise

My family flew Delta from JFK to MCO last October. Honestly, I expected much more in terms of security. We had to show our drivers license to get in the terminal and our names were checked against some master list. The National Guard was out in full force, but there were no delays due to security issues. I didn't even see them check any bags.

I thought there was much more security at MCO. Although there were fewer National Guard around, they had more security checks, and even randomly checked carry on bags at the gate.

I wish I could remeber more, but if you have any specific questions, perhaps I can help.

We flew out of JFK on 12/26/01 and found the security to be extremely thorough at that time. We had an 8:30AM flight and arrived at the airport at about 6:30 as we did not know what to expect in the way of delays. We had to show ID in order to enter the terminal and then had to pass through security screening right at the door. My husband (did not listen to me!) packed his nail scissors in carryon and these were taken and held for him until we checked in and presented tickets, IDs at counter. One of our suitcases was opened( we saw them open many) and my daughter was mortified to have her underwear fall out! We had to pass through usual metal detector before getting to gate. I don't know if these measures are still in place now, but we were very pleased with all the security at the time we travelled.

I called Jet Blue and they said 1 1/2 hours is all the time we would need at the airport prior to flight...Who did they think they were fooling. Don't think they knew NY well in 2000 we were at LGA 4 hours prior to flight and still ended up stuck in Charlotte....Sheesh That why I wanted to know if anyone had been to JFL recently. I know LGA, I guess I should assume the same for JFK. I don't mind security measures at all would love to see them in place still now.

Last time I flew out of JFK was 8/01 & of course there were really no security checks. But, I will say that JFK is MUCH better compared to LGA. I refuse to fly out of LGA & try never to fly in. Even prior to 9/11 it was horrible. Flew out of EWR in 3/02 & there was security everywhere! I expect the same to be true @JFK! I think you'll find JFK is much different than LGA. Just allow yourself plenty of time & you should be ok. JMO Kathy :wave:

I just read your post. Please tell me that LGA isn't that bad as we decided to fly out of there instead of Newark because of the great price . Now i know why. Oh well, we' ll have to make the best of it otherwise we are driving. No way !! I kept questioning my husband prior to booking and he said it would be okay as we have a 6am flight. Let me know your thoughts.

A 6 a.m. flight out of LGA shouldn't be bad at all. They won't have gotten backed up yet. Someone told me the problem with LGA is that they have very few runways.

Our Major issue with LGA last time we were there was because Airforce 2 with our Dear Vice Pres. had the runways backed up. By the time they got him in the air alot of flights were way behind. Early morning flights are alot less stress since most people are still traveling to the airport for there mid morning flight. Our flight is at 7 so our friend who is taking us will try to get us there by 5am so we are early. Poor Dorian is gonna be up and down all day and night...lol

Karyn,
We have flown out of LGA on the 6AM flight the past two years, and we are scheduled again for this summer. We haven't had any problems, (except getting up so early :D ), and the flights usually take off on time. The major problems with LaGuardia are the delays that build up over the course of the the day.

In a recent article in Consumer Reports, they said that LaGuardia delays are down by 45% since 9/11, due to less flights taking off. With an early flight, you are less likely to be delayed (unless weather conditions are poor) than later in the day. We have an earlier return flight, 10am from MCO, to minimize any delays as well.

We always seem to get better prices out of LGA too, and you know what, Newark isn't a bed of roses either! :):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We flew Jet Blue from JFK to MCO on Saturday May 11. It was a breeze. We had an early afternoon flight and arrived at JFK 2 hours early -- I don't think I'll ever allow that much time again -- it was definitely not needed. We checked in curbside -- it took about 5 minutes -- we were handed our boarding passes and went right into the terminal. We went through security -- there were 4 of us (2 young children, 2 adults) -- and we were basically the only ones in sight. Three of us breezed right through, but my husband took a little longer due to the fact that he didn't take his cell phone off his belt -- so they took an extra minute or so with him. All of this took us only 15 minutes from the time we stepped out of the limo. We now had 1 hr. 45 minutes to kill before the flight. We walked right on when we were boarding (1 small carry-on and the girls each had a backpack -- none were searched). They did pull a few others over for searches -- not quite random, suffice it to say that no blond-haired blue-eyed individuals had their bags combed through.

There was actually more searching and security evident at MCO on the way home. Even with that we still had more than enough time arriving at MCO 1 1/2 hrs before flight time and with a rental car to return, and no curbside check-in.

I am glad to hear it was a breeze we are also traveling Jet blue and I wanted to make sure we gave enough time. We are about 4 hours from the airport so we don't want to be stuck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter