I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had malassadas at the Provincetown (Ma) Portuguese Bakery. If I'm on the Cape, I have to go here. Wonder if they are similar to @Lain 's in Hawaii?

I think the concept is the same, but there are just so many varieties! You can get malasadas at Aulani, but they're not the same as Leonard's, which is what people in Hawaii associate with malasadas. A few years ago, there was this big drama when a former Leonard's employee opened up her own malasadas bakery and was accused of (and sued for) stealing Leonard's recipe. We tried those malasadas, and they're totally different (breadier).

Thanks @Lain and @hulagirl, y'all are full of Hawaii info. Happy to say most places you listed are on my to do list. I just worry that I'm trying to pack too much into each day. I'm considering getting GoOahu cards. I need to get on that and start getting everything booked.

I really, really want to the malasadas, but I'm sure there's no gluten free version. Hardest part of traveling is my dietary restrictions.
So frustrating, I bet. But there is so much to enjoy that is not food related. Here are just a few of my favorite scenes on Oahu...

IMG_4674.jpg
IMG_5047.jpg IMG_5074.jpg IMG_5092.jpg IMG_5183 (1).jpg IMG_5769.jpg IMG_9366.jpg

I've looked at things like the Dole Plantation
Polynesian Cultural Center and Luau
Moana Falls
Hanauma Bay snorkeling or maybe just snorkel at Ko Olina

Drive up the Kam Hwy on the Windward side of the island. Too often, people come away from Oahu saying they hate it because they stick to the areas immediately surrounding Aulani. You have a great start with your list. Don't miss the Pali Lookout. The views of the Ko'olau Mountains are amazing. There are all kinds of tours at Kualoa Ranch and there's a lovely family beach over there. You might take a look at those. Stop at the shrimp trucks on the way too. So yummy! Take a day to wander the quaint town of Haleiwa and stop for Shave Ice at Matsumotos. Oh, and on the way there, stop at Ted's Bakery and ask for Malasadas. (can you tell I'm a foodie?) :) Sharks Cove will be amazing if the waves are high and in December they likely will be. It's such a powerful sight and I can sit in the sand and watch for hours. Look for beaches the locals like at sunset. Visit Laie Point for some beautiful sunrise views. I could go on a long time about this.:) It's a subject near and dear to my heart.

Just as a follow up on Oahu talk...

I recommend Nico’s Pier 38 as well. It’s been a long time since DH and I have been to Oahu, but it was one of the best meals of our trip!

We did an ATV tour at Kualoa and loved it. Definitely recommend.

We did a luau at Paradise Cove. It was a good show, but the food was just mediocre. Beautiful sunset views from there though.

Dole Plantation is cool, but shouldn't take too long. If you're driving around the island to check out the North Shore and Haleiwa town, you can take Kamehameha ("Kam") Highway down through central Oahu and see fields and fields of pineapple. We'll stop by for the visitor center and to get some Dole Whip.

PCC. That's before the North Shore if you're taking Kam Hwy counter-clockwise. It's kind of a World Showcase of the Polynesian islands, their people, and culture. If you plan to do the luau, it'll be an all day thing, and they're supposed to have a pretty cool nighttime show. However, it's been years since I visited.

Since you're looking at being in the Laie/Kahuku area (where the PCC is), shrimp trucks are a big thing up there. Think plates of juicy, garlicky shrimp scampi. The two most popular are Giovanni's and Romy's. While it's an experience and the food is tasty, be prepared to wait. These places have been featured on too many foodie shows and blogs that they're now swamped by tourists all the time. Last December, we made a stop at Giovanni's and waited an hour for our food.

Similarly, in Haleiwa, there's Matsumoto's shave ice, which you'll find on a lot of foodie shows and blogs. Adam Sandler wore their t-shirt in his movie 50 First Dates. Years ago, my wife and I saw Ted Danson, Mary Steenbergen and family there (and I think scared them away by pointing them out). But since it's become so popular, there's often a line out the door. If you don't want to wait, just snap a pic with their sign, and get some shave ice at Aulani (where you can add on some Mickey ears).

In between Kahuku and Haleiwa is Laniakea Beach, where you can usually find sea turtles lounging on the beach. Find a spot on the side of the road to park, and head over there. There's usually some conservancy volunteer watching out for and educating people about the turtles.

Generally, if you're going to make a trip up to Laie/Kahuku/North Shore, plan for a weekday during non-commute hours. The traffic will be better and there should be lower crowds. Allow extra time because there are a lot of stretches of Kam Hwy that are just two lanes, wind-y, and prone to backup.

You might want to look at maybe making a quick stop at Valley of the Temples while you're heading up that way, and fitting in Kualoa Ranch somewhere in your itinerary. Right across from Kualoa Ranch is a beach park with a great view of Chinaman's Hat, but it's not really a great beach to swim at.

Manoa Falls is easy to get to from downtown Honolulu, and it's a pretty easy hike. Manoa Valley does see a lot of rain and precipitation, so be careful of mud, fallen leaves, and roots.

Snorkeling at Ko Olina does not compare to Hanauma Bay. If you have time for Hanauma Bay, do it!

@brownhaired_girl - just to add.

- From Aulani, you'll want to head out to "town" (Honolulu). As you're approaching downtown Honolulu, you'll want to take an exit and get on Pali Hwy. Pali Hwy will get you to Pali Lookout. You'll know you're getting close as you get closer to the mountains (the Koolaus). You need to take an exit on your right before going in the tunnel through the Koolaus. Stunning views of the Koolaus, Kaneohe and Kaneohe Bay. It gets windy up there, so don't get too close to the edge. Story has it King Kamehameha's warriors drove rival King Kahekili's forces up the Pali and then down those cliffs. Ghosts of Hawaiian warriors still haunt Pali Hwy at night.

- The drive to the windward side of the island via the H3 freeway is worthwhile for the views too, but it won't get you to the Pali Lookout.

- Ted's Bakery. Chocolate Haupia (coconut) pie. You're welcome.

Tagging @brownhaired_girl, too -

- If you're going to throw out your diet on this trip, also try to swing by Liliha Bakery for their coco puffs. It's a cream puff filled with chocolate pudding, topped with a buttery macadamia nut chantilly frosting. Their original location is in Liliha, which is a neighborhood near downtown Honolulu; and they have a newer location in Iwilei, on Nimitz Hwy that's also just outside of downtown.

- If you're swinging by Dole Plantation, a bit further south in Wahiawa is Uber Factory, which makes these really instagrammable Ube (purple yam) tarts.

Hmm... a few more:

- Kapiolani Community College's Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings (and Tuesday evenings?). Lots of local produce and food stands. You could pair this with a trip to and/or hike at Diamond Head crater, which is nearby.

- Ala Moana Shopping Center is a huge shopping mall that's really changed over the years and is mostly high end brands now. There's a Disney Store here that usually stocks Hawaii exclusives. There are lots of food courts here too. Check out the Foodland supermarket on the ground level for a really good poke bar, and lots of local prepared foods.

- Lanikai Beach in Kailua, on the windward side of the island. Often makes it on the world's best beaches lists. Really soft sand, and views of two small islands offshore.

So frustrating, I bet. But there is so much to enjoy that is not food related. Here are just a few of my favorite scenes on Oahu...

View attachment 402631
View attachment 402632 View attachment 402633 View attachment 402634 View attachment 402635 View attachment 402636 View attachment 402637

Just as a follow up on Oahu talk...

I recommend Nico’s Pier 38 as well. It’s been a long time since DH and I have been to Oahu, but it was one of the best meals of our trip!

We did an ATV tour at Kualoa and loved it. Definitely recommend.

We did a luau at Paradise Cove. It was a good show, but the food was just mediocre. Beautiful sunset views from there though.

Just WOW!!!! I guess I have some awesome choices. I might need to look a little harder for that second week.

Does anyone have a like the Hilton card? Are the points good and worth getting the card for? We've seen this offered recently.

I am working my way through each of the Hilton cards and so is DH. We are planning to get a second Aspire card each. Amex has a once per lifetime bonus in any given card. So ideally when you go for a card you upgrade from an existing one and apply for a second one.

Depending on your uses, Hilton can be valuable. But in general it isn’t a card that most would actually use for regular spending. Hilton points also don’t hold better value than UR points. For example, I checked a random Saturday night in July at the Hilton Disney Springs and found a rate for $108. To stay that same night and room with Hilton points it would cost 39,000 points. I could pay for that room with Chase Ultimate Rewards points with 8,640 UR points if I have a CSP credit card or 7,200 UR points from a CSR credit card account. With the basic Hilton card I would need to spend $13,000 to earn 39,000 points in non bonus categories. With a CSP I’d need to spend $8640 to pay for the room or $7200 with CSR card.

Most folks would consider Hilton cards for the bonus only and then sock drawer them or put minimal spend to keep Amex happy.

Personally, I love the Hilton Aspire card. DH and I each have one and we each want a second one. This card sits in a drawer. But it got us a wonderful vacation in the Maldives in overwater bungalows. The resort credit and annual weekend night on each of our Aspire cards will be used very strategically to outweigh the AF.

While I love my Hilton Aspire and want another, UR points are my travel hacking bread and butter. They are closely followed by MR points. Hope this helps.

I thought about it for a long time. I really did. I thought I would hate seeing that MR balance disappear. But I gained something so wonderful and we've already had so many wonderful experiences, I don't regret it for a minute. Picking up the Aspire card was a really good call too because I can stretch those 60 points really far by banking and sometimes borrowing and then supplementing in off years with other hotels (my favorite being the Waldorf.) I generally get around 1cpp for that hotel too, which as you know, is a killer redemption rate for Hilton points. I was always so afraid to try that resort.. I thought it would be so stuffy and frou frou and I am anything but. Turns out those fears were totally unfounded and I am completely smitten with that hotel. Our last room there, had views of the Star Wars fireworks, Happily Ever After, and Illuminations fireworks with a sofa right in front of the window so we could sit with a glass of wine and watch them all. My husband figured out how to sync a YouTube video of Happily Ever After and Illuminations nearly spot on and we played the music while watching them... it was just so cool. We also had the Tower of Terror and the top of the bowling pin at Pop Century in our view, we were that close. I really do need to do a review of the Waldorf for the hotels thread and I may just try submitting an article here to the DIS. The staff was excellent as well and we had daily breakfast (thank you Aspire card) that ended up being one of the highlights of our day. Such a nice way to start the morning. Anyway.. all that to say it has been completely worth it and I'm super happy I made that decision a couple years ago. Oh... and my annual fees are only $450 a year, which are relatively easy to cover with a combination of bank bonuses, cash back rewards and discounted Disney gift cards purchased with both. In December, it's back to the Wilderness Lodge and the Beach Club. I can't get enough of either place!

Thank you for sharing your Waldorf experience. We are thinking of using our free weekend nights there at some point.

We love our DVC points and normally supplement our multiple trips to WDW with the free night certs from a few Bonvoy cards. So that’s another avenue for some cost of AF nights for you.

I will make it to 2 MILLION NOW!!!! muahahahaha... (I kid...I hope.......)

I will see your 2 million and raise you 2 more :P

Has anyone heard anymore about the new Centurion lounges? I forgot to look at where they are putting in the Denver one last time we were at the airport.

Nope, but I am sitting at the newly enlarged Centurion lounge in Miami right now. Off to New Orleans to go use my 7 night certificate. Bring on da Gumbo, crawfish and shrimp etouffee!

Thank you for sharing your Waldorf experience. We are thinking of using our free weekend nights there at some point.

We love our DVC points and normally supplement our multiple trips to WDW with the free night certs from a few Bonvoy cards. So that’s another avenue for some cost of AF nights for you.
Oh, do it at least once. It was lovely. I can't wait to go back.:) I'm interested in the Maldives too I think at some point... but it's always hard to give up the trips to Hawaii, no matter how hard I try.

Booked a RC cruise (1st timers) for July with a POFQ stay afterwards. We are flying into MCO the day before the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay the night before the cruise? Do you stay in Port Canaveral? Additionally, any suggestions on getting from MCO to Port Canaveral. We will do DME on the return trip. Thanks
Which ship are you sailing? We’re sailing the Harmony but sadly not until March.

For those who are visiting Hawaii soon, and those who are contemplating it, I always say everyone should go at least once in a lifetime. I am half Hawaiian so I'm a little bit (alot) in love with the islands. There are so many beautiful experiences there for those with open hearts and respect for the land and her people. I hope those of you going soon, come away with the same awe, I think @Lain and I feel on a regular basis. A few more and then I will say goodnight to you all, and thank you for the wander down memory lane.:) We spoke about the Kam Hwy and what a special drive it is. Here is a close in shot to give you some scale. The Kam Hwy is that tiny road you see down on the left. Driving that is one of the great wonders of my universe. It means a lot to me to come from such a place. IMG_9853.jpg

Here is the view as you would see it at the Pali Lookout. Take a jacket... it gets chilly up there!
IMG_6792.jpg

My favorite place to stay is a little rental directly on Punalu'u Beach (North Shore) If you want to look it up, it's called Hale Aha Kai. You can just see it there middle left.IMG_9766.jpg

We often have the beaches up there, all to ourselves.

IMG_9768.jpg IMG_9791.jpg

It's in my heart, in my blood, and in my soul. And it's where I hear God the easiest. Even when He whispers.
IMG_9924.jpg

Wishing you all a happy Memorial Day weekend. Aloha nui loa, for letting me share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter