I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you looking to do with the rewards? International Travel, domestic flights, hotels on road trips, straight cash back? Are you doing the remodeling or paying someone to do it? How opposed to Annual Fees are you?

I think the Flex is a good card for just about everyone, in order to maximize rewards though you really need to pair it with an Annual Fee card in order to transfer those wonderful UR to travel partners. I'm very jealous that @SouthFayetteFan fan got his Flex before me. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail.

Thank you. Any particular reason why the CF flex vs the CF ultimate? For the time being, we would redeem the rewards for just straight cash back. We are paying someone to do the vast majority of the remodel. We have the money to pay him outright but he's the one who actually suggested to look at all of the credit card deals out there because of the 0% APRs. We don't do any international travel so I don't think one of the travel rewards is a good fit for our needs right now. We live in FL so we rarely leave the state when traveling.

Thank you. Any particular reason why the CF flex vs the CF ultimate? For the time being, we would redeem the rewards for just straight cash back. We are paying someone to do the vast majority of the remodel. We have the money to pay him outright but he's the one who actually suggested to look at all of the credit card deals out there because of the 0% APRs. We don't do any international travel so I don't think one of the travel rewards is a good fit for our needs right now. We live in FL so we rarely leave the state when traveling.
The flex and unlimited both have the same sign up bonus $200 cash back(20k URs) and 5x groceries for the first 12 months.
If you are deciding between those two cards in your situation I would get the freedom unlimited since you will earn 1.5 cash back on the remodeling vs 1 on the flex

If you can benefit from the 5% categories otherwise I’d do the CFU

I've really never looked at 0% APRs so I can't comment on that, but if you have the money to pay for it now I'd consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It's at 80,000 URs for a $4k MSR. So even if you just cash out at that would be worth $705 after considering the AF. I would even consider doing a MDD, modified double dip, so you can get the Sapphire Reserve as well for another 50k bonus. Or if that is out of your comfort zone if you have a P2 he could get the Reserve. The Reserve has the ability to Pay Yourself Back to make those URs worth 1.5. Right now Home Improvement Stores are a category, but only until 9/30, so that's probably won't help you. They haven't announced the next categories yet.

What are you looking to do with the rewards? International Travel, domestic flights, hotels on road trips, straight cash back? Are you doing the remodeling or paying someone to do it? How opposed to Annual Fees are you?

I think the Flex is a good card for just about everyone, in order to maximize rewards though you really need to pair it with an Annual Fee card in order to transfer those wonderful UR to travel partners. I'm very jealous that @SouthFayetteFan fan got his Flex before me. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail.
Apparently I have connections LOL! I don’t know what those connections are... but I must have them!

I think I might cry. It never occured to me that my prepaid tuition plan wouldn't cover Engineering tuition which is apparently about $23,000 more than regular tuition over 4 years. Add to this the fact that my mom brought up the kids' college funds this week and what she told me they were giving each child was $10,000 less than what she told me two years ago. Not complaining--I'm very grateful they are giving my kids anything. I'm not sure if she forgot what she told me or what.

In addition, my mom and dad have the college funds for their four grandkids in high schol (two are mine) in equities. I told her to please have my dad call vanguard and move them primarily to fixed income and she got very irritated with me.

Last edited:
Looking for advice on a new credit card. I read the first couple of stickys so ill do my best to provide you with the best overview. We currently have 1 credit card, a Disney visa, opened 10+ years ago. (I know we can do MUCH better, rewards wise) We only use it for big purchases like trips/hotel stays, which we take a couple of times per year.

We are now doing some home remodeling and thought that with all of the 0% APR offers it would be a good time to open a new card.
We are looking for a rewards card and leaning towards either the CF Flex or CF Unlimited. Anything else we should consider?
We never keep a balance, unless there's a zero interest promo then we will divide out our payments.
You’ve been given some great advice. I just wanted to drop in and say, you might consider joining our private group called DISchurners. We have some good info there and you also could pay it forward to the community here by using a support link from somebody who was helpful.

If you want to join drop me a PM here on the DIS and I can set you up.

Anyone else watch The Devil All the Time on Netflix? Pretty weird but I oddly liked it. Dh said he didn’t like it. We skipped through parts because I don’t do nudity
DD and I watched it. I like dark twisted movies. And Tom Hollands performance was stellar.

I think I might cry. It never occured to me that my prepaid tuition plan wouldn't cover Engineering tuition which is apparently about $23,000 more than regular tuition over 4 years. Add to this the fact that my mom brought up the kids' college funds this week and what she told me they were giving each child was $10,000 less than what she told me two years ago. Not complaining--I'm very grateful they are giving my kids anything. I'm not sure if she forgot what she told me or what.

In addition, my mom and dad have the college funds for their four grandkids in high schol (two are mine) in equities. I told her to please have my dad call vanguard and move them primarily to fixed income and she got very irritated with me.

Engineering is a great field if your kid is willing and able to make it through. Excellent job opportunities with rapid advancement for those willing to relocate a couple times in the years immediately after graduation. Expect summer internships and no time for any other outside employment, perhaps 10 / wk on campus max. No more than tgat and nothing off campus unless internship-related. All this to say, this is one of the situations where a small student loan is reasonable. No more than the minimum needed to cover expenses, but far preferable to trying to work while completing engineering courses. It may also be worth researching other engineering schools as costs and program structure will vary. Regardless, engineering grads should have no problem paying off 20k in loans the first couple years after graduation.

Yes, they are.
Can also confirm they are still offering this. I used all 4 of ours Labor Day weekend.

Thanks! I upgraded at the gate and got A1. The gate attendant did start letting A10-20 board before I even had a chance to get to the gate, but I still was the third person on the plane. Currently hiding in the verrrrrrry back hoping no one comes to sit near me. So far at security, in line for coffee, etc, people have been pretty lax social distancing but mostly good on masks. Excited for my first trip since January!

Engineering is a great field if your kid is willing and able to make it through. Excellent job opportunities with rapid advancement for those willing to relocate a couple times in the years immediately after graduation. Expect summer internships and no time for any other outside employment, perhaps 10 / wk on campus max. No more than tgat and nothing off campus unless internship-related. All this to say, this is one of the situations where a small student loan is reasonable. No more than the minimum needed to cover expenses, but far preferable to trying to work while completing engineering courses. It may also be worth researching other engineering schools as costs and program structure will vary. Regardless, engineering grads should have no problem paying off 20k in loans the first couple years after graduation.

She’s pretty set on UVa if she gets in. Virginia tech is her second option. Tech would be about $25k less (engineering is only $8k more and room and board is a lot cheaper). And I agree, if she needs to take out a small loan it will be worth it.

I guess I’m glad I’m realizing this now and not next summer!

Oiy!

I got we need more time, which I expected. I don't get all these people that are getting instant approvals all of a sudden, have they gotten any cards recently. Anyway, I've gotten an email saying we need more time and an emails from experian and chase credit journey saying they've pulled my report. But when I call the status line they have no app under my sn, umm...

So apparently now I'm stuck just straight up waiting without any actual information? I'll try calling it again later, but I've called twice already and it should already pop up. I'm not going to hold out much hope at this point.

Oiy!

I got we need more time, which I expected. I don't get all these people that are getting instant approvals all of a sudden, have they gotten any cards recently. Anyway, I've gotten an email saying we need more time and an emails from experian and chase credit journey saying they've pulled my report. But when I call the status line they have no app under my sn, umm...

So apparently now I'm stuck just straight up waiting without any actual information? I'll try calling it again later, but I've called twice already and it should already pop up. I'm not going to hold out much hope at this point.
Ugh the status line glitch is THE WORST! So frustrating to not at least hear 2 weeks or 30 days.

She’s pretty set on UVa if she gets in. Virginia tech is her second option. Tech would be about $25k less (engineering is only $8k more and room and board is a lot cheaper). And I agree, if she needs to take out a small loan it will be worth it.

I guess I’m glad I’m realizing this now and not next summer!

I noticed quite a few parents on the parent page being very confused about this after statements came out and wondering why they got billed after their “prepaid” plans. Being out of state and seeing that bill, the engineering add on isn’t that shocking. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!